Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
swimmer
0 Kudos

New writer please read my stort story

I'm new at writing please read my story

I’ve always felt that team sports seemed to focus on one persons talent and others following behind them. In football I was never given the chances to show that I had something to give out the team. Ever time I got over the line of scrimmage I would hesitate on what to do. Then the coach would take me out, even when I could make the QB say “would someone get that number 84” after every play. In basketball I had an advantage that keep me in the sport, I’m tall, but I still hesitated. On offense I would hesitate on when to make a move with the ball and when to shoot. However, on defense I would hold the most steals, blocks, and rebounds of every player. The coach would take me out for someone better in offense but worst in defense. Before high school started I had quit football and after two years I quit basketball. I need to find a new sport to keep me out of trouble. I found a summer league for swimming that was held after school at my school. It lasted one hour and what a painful hour it was. One day after practice I was talking to the coach and was told that it would take about six months to drop my time. In three months time had passed up what the coach had thought. I had found the sport that the focus was on how much I put into it. If I wanted it I had to work for it and no other person could do it for me. I keep working though out the summer and joined the school’s teamed and dropped my time enough to get 11th in the freestyle and 8th in the backstroke at the district meet. Swimming was the only sport I know of that gave me the most joy and the most friends, hopefully next year I can make it to the state meet and then join a college team.

please comment...
Contributor
tinamwriter
0 Kudos

Re: New writer please read my stort story

I’ve always felt that team sports seemed to focus on one persons talent and others following behind them. In football I was never given the chances to show that I had something to give out the team. Ever time I got over the line of scrimmage I would hesitate on what to do. Then the coach would take me out, even when I could make the QB say “would someone get that number 84” after every play. In basketball I had an advantage that keep me in the sport, I’m tall, but I still hesitated. On offense I would hesitate on when to make a move with the ball and when to shoot. However, on defense I would hold the most steals, blocks, and rebounds of every player. The coach would take me out for someone better in offense but worst in defense. Before high school started I had quit football and after two years I quit basketball. I need to find a new sport to keep me out of trouble. I found a summer league for swimming that was held after school at my school.
Okay this is a good set up

It lasted one hour and what a painful hour it was. One day after practice I was talking to the coach and was told that it would take about six months to drop my time. In three months time had passed up what the coach had thought. I had found the sport that the focus was on how much I put into it. If I wanted it I had to work for it and no other person could do it for me. I keep working though out the summer and joined the school’s teamed and dropped my time enough to get 11th in the freestyle and 8th in the backstroke at the district meet. Swimming was the only sport I know of that gave me the most joy and the most friends, hopefully next year I can make it to the state meet and then join a college team.

So what? What do you want us to feel? This is something you tell your kids What you are lacking is angst.
What did you think while you were doing the first paragraph? What made you pick swimming? what were the challenges you had? did you already know how to swim? who taught you? I swim, well, I can dog paddle and preast stroke and froggy style, but to compete you have KNOW how to swim. They didn't just drop you in the team and say go for it. Let us feel the process. so when you win we can rejoice with you. you have to have agnst. work the story and the person reading it will need to "feel good" when they are done.
Contributor
swimmer
0 Kudos

Re: New writer please read my stort story

tinamwriter wrote:
I’ve always felt that team sports seemed to focus on one persons talent and others following behind them. In football I was never given the chances to show that I had something to give out the team. Ever time I got over the line of scrimmage I would hesitate on what to do. Then the coach would take me out, even when I could make the QB say “would someone get that number 84” after every play. In basketball I had an advantage that keep me in the sport, I’m tall, but I still hesitated. On offense I would hesitate on when to make a move with the ball and when to shoot. However, on defense I would hold the most steals, blocks, and rebounds of every player. The coach would take me out for someone better in offense but worst in defense. Before high school started I had quit football and after two years I quit basketball. I need to find a new sport to keep me out of trouble. I found a summer league for swimming that was held after school at my school.
Okay this is a good set up

It lasted one hour and what a painful hour it was. One day after practice I was talking to the coach and was told that it would take about six months to drop my time. In three months time had passed up what the coach had thought. I had found the sport that the focus was on how much I put into it. If I wanted it I had to work for it and no other person could do it for me. I keep working though out the summer and joined the school’s teamed and dropped my time enough to get 11th in the freestyle and 8th in the backstroke at the district meet. Swimming was the only sport I know of that gave me the most joy and the most friends, hopefully next year I can make it to the state meet and then join a college team.

So what? What do you want us to feel? This is something you tell your kids What you are lacking is angst.
What did you think while you were doing the first paragraph? What made you pick swimming? what were the challenges you had? did you already know how to swim? who taught you? I swim, well, I can dog paddle and preast stroke and froggy style, but to compete you have KNOW how to swim. They didn't just drop you in the team and say go for it. Let us feel the process. so when you win we can rejoice with you. you have to have agnst. work the story and the person reading it will need to "feel good" when they are done.

After what you said I wrote these story about a single race. what do you think?

Stripping away all the loose parts of my suit, stretching my arms and legs visualizing every stroke in my head. A whistle is blown signaling me to step up onto the block. Positioning myself to leap out across the water. Focused only on my lane, my water, and my race. The buzzer sounds, exploding out forward into the air. The wind rushes past as I slice into the cool water. The roar of the crowd is silenced as I kick forward before breaking the surface. Pulling my arm out of the water I surge forward rotating my body to stretch further. My ear clears and fills with cheers as my lungs fill up with air. I lower my head back into the water silencing the screams. Reaching the first wall, doubling over twisting to spin around, my feet hit the wall and kick off. I see my opponent in the next lane. Am I ahead or is he, only inches either way. The water flies pass my ears with ever stroke. I never let up, determined to defeat my opponent. Pushing off for the final turn my lungs cry for air, my arms burn with fatigue, and my mind demands more of me. I reach forward to end the timer, finishing the race. My head breaks the surface hearing the cheers of my teammates. I have…