Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Benji71306

Part of a story. Would you read this? Tell me what you think.

Some two hundred years ago, when the city was but a small settlement, a mysterious man came here and bought a plot of land to settle himself from his constant wanderings.  After securing the deed from the small city hall he contracted a local building company and started the construction immediately.

Mysterious was not the proper term for this man:  strange, weird.  Everyone who met him got an uneasy felling from him and consequently stayed away; not only from him, but his family as well-who he had brought in after completion-and the house itself.  As a result he made no friends and only dealt with the acquisition of supplies from the general store and he made no attempt at making any friends.  The builders said they felt an evil aura about the place and hastened to finish their work as quickly as possible.  The builders also said that he ordered a cellar with a series of tunnels built below the foundation.

"Didn't anyone ask what this was for?" I interjected, upon hearing this, citing its oddity.

"Yes.  He replied that it was going to be used for storage," replied the old man.  He waited but a moment, and then resumed with his story.

After his family moved in, he practically shut himself from the rest of the world.  Nothing was known of the goings on in the house or of the family itself, the wife and two young sons never having left their safe haven.  When asked of his past, the man merely said the he had come in search of a permanent place to stay, nothing more.  People soon stopped asking him questions and let him be.

A number of years went by and the small settlement grew into a medium-sized town, growing at a substantial rate.  It was then, shortly after an influx of these new settlers, that a disappearance of people started.  No one had any explanation of these disappearances and so attributed it to the losing of one's way in the dense wood surrounding the town.  No one questioned the unknown, reclusive family, the fear being too great.  The years came and went, fraught with numerous disappearances, with no notion of the awkward family's involvement.

Frequent Contributor
Hosanna

Re: Part of a story. Would you read this? Tell me what you think.

I'm not sure if this is a synopsis or if it is a portion of your story.  If this is your story, than I would suggest that you slow down a little.  We need to feel like we are there with the characters, smell the underground tunnels, inter act with the strange man.

Also I think you need to consider that you may be giving us too much information right at the start of your story.  If it is a thriller or a mystery - you're not leaving us in much suspense.  You might need to consider that you need to hide the tunnels from the reader until later in the story.

For example:  The builders were brought in from another county - and no one knew why.  Later we find out it's because he had tunnels built that he didn't want anyone local to know about...something like that.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01

Ditto that, Hosanna
Contributor
1bigvikki
0 Kudos

i must say that i agree with the previous comment that you were lacking a bit of suspense, but by reading what you have written so far i do want to read more and i hope that one day you finish the book because you have my word that my mother and i and most of my friends will definitely read the book, although i do not know your name? i am writing a book myself and i believe that you shouldn't give up and must continue writing. at times it will get hard because sometimes i feel like erasing my whole story, but that will not be worth it,continuing with your book is...:robothappy:
New User
Create_Dream_Overcome

Sound like a great story. But me personally, I have to get into the book to like it. You must suck in the reader and leave them guess (suspence). I would suggest to get these events and make a graphic organizer, showing suspence, climax and resoltion. Yes, I know, middle school stuff but it works for many writers. :smileyhappy: