Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Sleuth16
0 Kudos

Problem-Chapters

Um, yeah. I need to ask a question about something that always stops me. How do you know, or when is it best to start a new chapter?

I always have a major issue deciding, and everyone tells me so many different things, it's confusing. any advice? I am very grateful for any at this point.
"Lousy but Loyal" is pretty much the way I'm meant to be.
How 'bout you?
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Re: Problem-Chapters

you don't really even need chapters, if you have trouble deciding when to end a chapter.

just write!

some stories will reveal chapter Start/Ends as you plow thru, some just don't and that's OK too. That's the easiest way to think about it.

if you feel that you MUST have chapters, it's still often best to hammer out a draft just to get the story out, before sifting thru and finding those places to break the action into sections, which would make good chapter-breaks. Look for those places where you Add A Character, do some Build-Up, Exposition, or Conflict, and deal some level of pay-off without reaching the final end... if all those things happen in quick succession, without taking up too much space in the overall story, HEY! you found yourself a chapter!!

if you have written such a complex, far-reaching and overlapping tale where there is no real resolution to any conflict until that final page, then you may be best to forego chapter breaks altogether, and just let the story tell itself in one massive chunk.

Next, would be the decision to Name Chapters, or just Number them; this decision is made easier by the subject and conflict/resolution found in each chapter. Consider Tolkien's epic Lord of the Rings . His chapters are broken down by the major events of the Fellowship in their travels and trevails across Middle-Earth to Mordor with the One Ring, and each chapter is titled quite-fittingly to hint at what the reader will read about within the chapter, without telling the whole tale or giving too much away in just the single chapter or its title.

it's not tough to figure where chapters should come in, begin or end. Just tell the story and let those details resolve themselves along with the rest of it.

good luck!
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

hey slueth!

i usually stop a chapter when something really exciting or suspenseful happens...a cliff hanger is always good. :smileyvery-happy:

another thing...when the characters have a deep and meaningful talk...for example, in my book, when Luke nd Naya consloe each other, i ended the chapter when luke said "you're not alone" because i didn't want to include her reaction. it's a shortcut i sometimes use when i can't think of anything.

good luck!

love zip
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
Sleuth16
0 Kudos

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

People kept telling me I needed chapters, like marked Chapter 1 and such, but it gave me problems. That really helped. Thanks
How 'bout you?
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Ending Chapters at funny lines is also a good technique.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

interesting signature, slueth.

have you ever tried a tofu taco? they rock
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
Sleuth16
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:
interesting signature, slueth.

have you ever tried a tofu taco? they rock

Tofu Taco? That sounds...er.... to put it mildly, interesting. Not trying to turn this whole thing to tacos and food, but have you ever tried taking a soft taco shell, adding chedder and mozzerella, hamburger, salt, sugar, and drinking a powerade with it? That rocks. :smileyhappy:
How 'bout you?
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

well, no. and i don't think anytime soon, either...veggie, you see.

sounds simply scrumtious, though.(try saying that five times fast)
"line?"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Yeah see, I don't EAT soft tacos unless my friend's mom makes them
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
Sleuth16
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy: Understandable. They are good with hard taco shells, too, though. The best taco I've ever had, though, are plain soft taco shells with cheese, then microwaved for like thirty seconds. Waaay better than taco bell.
How 'bout you?