Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Publication Questions

What are your questions about publication? Whether you're wondering about self-publication, agents or submitting to literary journals, let's address those issues you're thinking about now.

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Dan_Diego
0 Kudos

Re: Publication Questions

Is Vanity Publishing still held in low regard by the industry?

How does an indie set pricing when self-publishing to IBooks, PubIt, and Amazon? Any legal traps there?

How would a successful self-published author graph their effort on a pie chart, i.e., what percent is writing, editing, converting, sales, etc.?

Reader 2
Skilletfan
0 Kudos

do you have to be a certain age to publish?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

How does some one like me without internet find publishers to send letters too? Say I go wih PubIt can I still get that book printed? What are ways to promote your book?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Skilletfan wrote:

do you have to be a certain age to publish?

No, you don't have to be a certain age to publish. (In fact, there are even journals that publish only work written by young people.) It is, though, important to make sure your work is strong and carefully crafted. Attention is best spent there for awhile before seeking publication. This is true for a writer of any age.
Great questions on self-publishing here. I'll be responding to those soon.
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Dan_Diego wrote:

Is Vanity Publishing still held in low regard by the industry?

Self-publishing is certainly gaining momentum. There's a DIY spirit out there that's really caught on in the world of books. As to how "the industry" feels about it really depends upon who you talk to. There are plenty of people who feel strongly that the filters in place make a big difference on the quality of what's published. Others see self-publishing as satisfying a need that doesn't necessarily fall under the domain of the traditional industry. One thing is certain: ideas about self-publishing are in flux.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Dan_Diego wrote:

How does an indie set pricing when self-publishing to IBooks, PubIt, and Amazon? Any legal traps there?

Can you clarify? Are you asking how to decide an asking price?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Dan_Diego wrote:

How would a successful self-published author graph their effort on a pie chart, i.e., what percent is writing, editing, converting, sales, etc.?

I imagine this varies by author. As with any kind of efforts to publish, it seems the bulk of the work should come in writing and editing in order to present the strongest material possible. It's also likely cyclical based on the progress of the work--there are times when one is writing quite a bit, other times where sales and marketing take more precedence. This is true for authors who go the traditional route, too. Many writers spend quite a bit of time reading and giving talks after the publication of a book.

Perhaps some of the self-published authors can chime in here. How would you graph your effort?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Say I wanted to make a collection of poems for a book. Around 60 - 80 words each. How many poems would make a good goal to work towards?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
How does some one like me without internet find publishers to send letters too?

For all writers--those with internet and those without--a good strategy is to look at published work similar to your own and see the publisher, editor and/or agent for the book. You can see the publisher on the book jacket or the copyright page and often editor and agent are mentioned in the acknowledgments. That's a good place to start your research. There are certainly books out there, too, that list markets. One well-known and reliable source is the line of Writer's Market books (Novel & Short Story Writer's Market , Poet's Market Guide to Literary Agents , etc). They're published annually, so make sure you're looking at the current year's edition. Again, these are a starting place. You'll want to do more thorough research to make sure the listing is a good potential match with your work.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!! I will check that out. Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Say I go wih PubIt can I still get that book printed?

Here are some quotes from the PubIt FAQs:

If I sign up and publish my eBooks with PubIt!, can I sell them anywhere else?

Yes. PubIt! is NOT an exclusive agreement, as outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Can I sell my physical book through PubIt!? Will my PubIt! NOOK Books be sold in physical Barnes & Noble Stores?

PubIt! is exclusively for selling digital content. You must have a digital file to sell your content through PubIt!. To learn about selling print books through Barnes & Noble.com and in our stores, visit our Publisher and Author Guidelines on BN.com.

Here's what that all means: You can't get your book printed through PubIt!, but using PubIt! to publish your digital content doesn't prevent you from getting you book printed through another source/service. So, you could publish digitally through PubIt! and also publish through a vanity press or print on demand (assuming the other service has similar terms that don't require exclusivity). 

As a friendly reminder, always read all terms and contracts, of course, when entering into any agreement or using any service.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
What are ways to promote your book?

Many writers go on book tours and give talks and readings. One self-published author I know set up several local readings and did well selling her books at those. She chose stores in communities to which she had connections, so she knew she'd have interested audiences. Think about the unique audience for your book and try and make connections with groups, organizations, etc that have similar interests.

What about those of you who have self-published . . . how have you promoted your book?

Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

What is the prime word count that publishers look for? If you're maybe 10,000 words or so under, is that a strike against your work?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Say I wanted to make a collection of poems for a book. Around 60 - 80 words each. How many poems would make a good goal to work towards?

Poetry manuscripts often fall in the range of 50-70 pages. How many poems that includes really depends upon the length of the poems and your use of white space. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Edit:

What is the prime word count that publishers, or agents, look for in fiction novels? If you're maybe 10,000 words or so under, is that a strike against your work?

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

If we post a story or poem on the boards, can it still be published? I heard somewhere that if you post your writing online you cannot have it published.

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
New User
JackieCakesx3
0 Kudos

Can teens get published? I'm 15 and i'm working on a novel. When I'm done, what do I do? How do I find an agent? This is so new to me, and I'm so close to finishing the book. help?!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yes you can get published. I think Christopher Paolini was only 15 when he wrote his fist book. Don't hold me to that but I think. Thats right. And for the agent... sorry wrong person. Keep writing though! Good luck!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Brandi_R

TylerAE wrote:

What is the prime word count that publishers look for? If you're maybe 10,000 words or so under, is that a strike against your work?

Novels are often at least 80,000 words long, but that's really just a ball park figure. Some run shorter and some run much longer. There's no one word count to work toward. A shorter novel isn't necessarily a strike against your work. It really depends upon the execution of it.

There is a point at which a longer work of fiction under 80,000 falls in the category of the novella, and those are usually published in a collection instead of as a stand alone book (although not all the time).