Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Q&A, Ways to write, and etc...

Hi, I want to make a thread that everyone can write in.

ask questions on how to write better essays, poems,and many other types of writing.

You can answer questions asked too.

Write down writing topics only!!

Thank You!!                   

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

First Q

Fine..

I'll write the first question..

How do you write good descriptions on weird moments?

Please answer someone!!!

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Re: First Q

[ Edited ]
How do you write fun moments? Fear? Hapy? Just write. I just write how I would think to speak and then work it to a story. Carve it and form the words to a liking. I don know just let the words flow as they will tis what I like personaly. Okay one for you. How do you begin a poem? Not everone of mine but somtimes I mutter a line it sparks a idea. I like to toss words together and sometimes it forms a line I like.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Thank you!!

I have those moments too..

But I forget them so I'm planning to walk around with a pencil/pen and mini(i mean real mini) notebook...

Maybe this would help others too that have the same problems..:smileyhappy:

Still, carrying around a notebook might be tiring....

But I think its okay....

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

A pen and a pice of paper. Works fine. Or I bought a cover for my nook with a note pad that has been very helpful. Got to find a good pen though.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

That's very cool..

I should check up on that.

Thank you for telling me something good.:smileylol:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Your welcome. Now how do you come up with short storys? I like to think of something that will make the reader think. But mostly I just get that idea or character. The ending for me is the hard part.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

GS question

I think short storys should end with an.. not empty but end it with like,

He rowed down the river, slowly, steadly and skillfully.

I think these kind of endings lets the reader think, "Did he die?" "Did he meet someone?"

those kind of questions.

Or end it with a complicated theme or  just keep it complicated.

Something like that..:smileyhappy:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: GS question

Your favorite way to come up with a poem?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind

My favorite way....

Just do my normal.

Doing chores, doing finals(test wise), or eating something you've nver eaten before.

Those emotions or actions lead the way.

Everything you do leads you to the path to a great poems.

No hard thinking just letting yourself free like a bird in the clouds.

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

My strongest poems are when I feel the strongest. Also the help relax me. So I supose that is my favorite. To write a poem at my stronges feeling. Okay how about bad guys? Do you enjoy writing them? Give them your most wicked thoughts? Or base them off another? How do you form a bad guy?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Open-Peacemind wrote:

Thank you!!

I have those moments too..

But I forget them so I'm planning to walk around with a pencil/pen and mini(i mean real mini) notebook...

Maybe this would help others too that have the same problems..:smileyhappy:

Still, carrying around a notebook might be tiring....

But I think its okay....

By now someone must have come up with a cell phone app that will let you record your voice (you know, like dictating into a tape recorder back in prehistoric times).  Though I guess it might look weird talking to yourself that way . . .  Maybe you could pretend you were talking TO someone on your cell phone . . .  Maybe I'm just too worried about looking weird . . .  :smileyvery-happy:

Jeff

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yeah called a memo. Its a feature. On a old sprint phone anyway.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Second Big ?

What's the hardest type of writing for you?

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Second Big ?

Well. Depends on the subjuct I guess. And what kind of hard? Just difficult trouble with words? Or emotional?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

I think I'm talking about emotional.

Like if a teacher told you to write a certain type of writing.

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

For me the hardest thing to write is nonfiction work, fiction flows naturally, I just sit with my computer and write whatever and let the story travel it's own path, but nonfiction I am so chained to the research material I have trouble forming my voice.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:
For me the hardest thing to write is nonfiction work, fiction flows naturally, I just sit with my computer and write whatever and let the story travel it's own path, but nonfiction I am so chained to the research material I have trouble forming my voice.

I agree. Non fiction, you need to know your facts and need to be suppourted somehow,

I really agree..

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Any more ?'s?

I just want ot make sure if anyone else has any questions on how to write something..

Don't be shy!!:smileywink:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Cliffhangers

It drives me crazy reading and left with the not knowing the AH WHATS NEXT!!! But I love writing the suspence. I like to write thinking hmm now what way can I torture my character to make the reader want more. I don't do it every time just when the story has that feeling to it. The one I'm working on does. I'll post it soon as I'm ready. What about you guys?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.