Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Re: Cliffhangers

Me too!! But as I am frustrated I start creating the ending.

Like maybe he died, or maybe he went on living and fell in love and on and on.

I think cliffhangers let the reader use he/her imagination to create their own ending.

I geuss that's the beauty of it.:smileytongue:

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
New User
KailaJenee
0 Kudos

Re: First Q

For weird moments? Typically, I just write every detail I can think of, not worrying for spelling or whatnot. Then I narrow it down into something not too awfully descriptive, but enough to where the reader can feel the awkwardness/oddness surrounding that moment.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Hmmmm.

I like how you do that.

I try it out sometime. It seems easy..

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Contributor
Wylee
0 Kudos

How do you come up with the main plot, and the ending? And do you wait to start writing Until you have that, or do you just force yourself to write for a certain length of time Every day until you figure it out?
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
~Richard Steele~

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter."
~Thomas Helm~
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

Wylee wrote:
How do you come up with the main plot, and the ending? And do you wait to start writing Until you have that, or do you just force yourself to write for a certain length of time Every day until you figure it out?

Okay, pause for a moment and take a deep breath.  Writing isn't a race; it is work and intuition.  If every writer waited until they had a complete story in their heads there would be far fewer books in the world.  Stories unfold at their own pace, some ideas coming to fruition far more easily than others.  Action sequences flow for some, while others can struggle.  Conversation and byplay between characters can turn on a dime.  Like the surface of a pond, writing isn't always what it seems.  It is listening to the thoughts in your head, following the footsteps of a shadowy figure, learning to take a leap of faith.

Writing everyday is one of the best ways to achieve results, but also allow for some flexibility of topics during a timed writing session.  If a piece becomes a dreaded chore to write, it will show up in the words upon the page.  Real readers can tell.  Being a butterfly writer myself, I know.  By allowing for alternating projects during allotted writing times, I've gotten around more cases of writer's block than I can count, usually because I come back at the problem from a different prospective or because another character crops up, altering the banter and byplays of a scene.

To writers, (those specializing in fiction, at least), characters can and should be as real as the people around them.  Possessed of quirks, inclinations, habits, likes, dislikes, weaknesses and strengths, the characters should leap from the page, engaging a reader, heart and imagination.  You, as the writer, should be in the head of the character, seeing through their eyes.  Listen to your intuition, what is it telling you, your character to do?  What will the consequences of the action be?  Ask questions.  Play with plotlines, but let the characters lead the way.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind

Wow your words are really inspirational.

Thank you for giving words of advice even if I wasn't the one who asked you:smileytongue:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
keriflur

Wylee wrote:

I always know my ending before I start.  I usually start with a character or characters and scenario in my mind, and then I start planning from there, but I pretty much always know where I want to end up.  I'm a planner, and my natural skill lies more in character than in plot, so I try to plan the plot out (the major points, not everything) before I start the book.  I tend to plan my scenes before I write them too, but unexpected stuff comes up all the time, and I just go with it, rather than forcing myself to stick to the plan.

For the MS that I'm currently revising, the entire time I was writing I felt like the main plot wasn't strong enough.  But I kept writing anyway, developing the character relationships and subplots and seeing how the story unfolded.  Once the first draft was done, I could see that one of my subplots, which was horribly underdeveloped, would work well as a story-driver if I integrated it into the main plot and pushed the romance to the back a bit more.  So it took over 70,000 words to find my main plot. :smileysurprised:

So, endings I always know, and the main plot I try to know, but sometimes I just have to write until I find it.

And this is just how I work.  Everyone's different.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

More ??'s

Oh, I do it that way too. 

Well, here's another question. 

Has anyone written a persuasive essay?(I'm 100% sure that you wrote one at least once)

What's the best way to write down your ideas down passionatley?

I'm not really good at persuading...:smileyfrustrated:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Distinguished Correspondent
purple_monkey

Re: More ??'s

I did one recently. I did a lot of research on it and found out the pros and cons to of it. Do not use "In my opinion" or "I think". When you begin be sure to make it clear whether the reader should or should not do what it is that you are writing about. Explain why you feel the way you do on the subject.

Hope this helps!

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Re: More ??'s

Thanks!

Helps a lot!

Hey, anymore ???'s

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Darkkin

Re: Not so much a question as a query...

[ Edited ]

What carries more weight, one honest, if brutal, review or a hundred kind words, but no honest reactions and thoughts upon a piece? 

To me, one knowledgeable review, honest and unsparing, is worth more than all the fluff words in the world.  Readers are the root of all writing and as such, their opinions and observations matter.  To get a person's true reaction to a piece is a priceless learning tool, bringing possible problems into focus.  It finds the cracks and the fissures.  It shows you where the strength of a piece is and how characters are received or perceived.  It takes the story out of your head and allows you to view it through another's eyes.  The change in perspective is one of the greatest advantages to be had, revealing pitfalls we tend to overlook and repeat unintentionally.  By learning where the fault lines in our writing styles lie, we can better learn to navigate the course. 

To me a good review should be earned, not just given.  Writing is work and wonder.  It is the agony of writer's block and the flush of triumph, knowing a piece is near perfect.  It is a massacre of red ink and hours of proofreading.  It is having characters go their own way, and having your storyline veer left instead of the predictable right.  It is mixing up quiet and quite on numerous occasions and running spell check every other paragraph.  It is 2:00 AM and still the computer glows as you struggle to finish a page, knowing that cannot wait until morning, by then the idea will be forgotten.  Writing is an ever changing art, fluid and graceful, growing with us year in and year out.  It is the voice in your head only you can hear, the voice that remains silent until you give life to the words, upon a page or screen.

A thousand kind words, with no truth can live us blind, wondering...What about...

What are your opinions on the matter?

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

I totally agree.

I really not good with constructive criticism though...:smileysad:

But I always make it through.

You're really right Darkkin, truth helps you make your writing style.

Even if it may be painful, you got to get it to get better. 

I mean, everything would be a lie to you if everyone just said no honest reactions.

I want to say this again, I agree with Darkkin. 

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Does anyone else want to speak up??

Write anything having to do with this whole thread(including questions of course!).

Anyone?:smileyvery-happy:

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Hello?

― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
~me