Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Question: Style and Content (Originality in Both Areas)

I've been having trouble coming up with original storylines lately, so this question has popped into my mind. Does a good read really need A LOT of original plot material (a la Harry Potter), or can a good read be one with a hackneyed storyline but a unique and captivating style? Original style AND content would probably be preferable, but what do you guys think? Does interesting style make an overdone plot irrelevant? Or, maybe some hackneyed plots still work because they are universal and therefore endure, and you just have to put some original thought to it and take it to new heights with your writing style. Maybe we don't see certain plots as being overdone because we are given many different perspectives on them by many different authors. As an extension, does a hackneyed style taint a fantastically original plot? Does a writing style full of cliches and things that have been heard a million times, as well as very nondescript, plain writing, ruin something that would otherwise be a very original and interesting work? I'd love to hear opinions on this. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: Question: Style and Content (Originality in Both Areas)

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
I've been having trouble coming up with original storylines lately, so this question has popped into my mind. Does a good read really need A LOT of original plot material (a la Harry Potter), or can a good read be one with a hackneyed storyline but a unique and captivating style? Original style AND content would probably be preferable, but what do you guys think? Does interesting style make an overdone plot irrelevant? Or, maybe some hackneyed plots still work because they are universal and therefore endure, and you just have to put some original thought to it and take it to new heights with your writing style. Maybe we don't see certain plots as being overdone because we are given many different perspectives on them by many different authors. As an extension, does a hackneyed style taint a fantastically original plot? Does a writing style full of cliches and things that have been heard a million times, as well as very nondescript, plain writing, ruin something that would otherwise be a very original and interesting work? I'd love to hear opinions on this. :smileyhappy:

Hey AP, I'll share my thoughts on this. I think tht it really depends on the story for being original to apply. I'll explain more later, right now I'm going to have lunch soon. But here's something, sometimes I base some of my short stories on Monty Python's Flying Circus sketches and plots of other things. Of course I change them a bit, but they are based on and inspired by certain things. I sometimes dismiss the idea because it's too close to what I was basing it on or not original enough. But like I said, I'll talk in more details later. I know i seems like I say that a lot, but I always seem to be busy for some reason. Oh well.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein