Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

Shhhh. My friend Rachael let me read her book before it was finished. Here's the first chapter.

Chapter 1  

Rebecca cautiously looking around to find a way out of the vampire’s grip, he was slowly moving over to reach her neck, hesitating to pierce the skin. She felt the small sting of his “fangs” seeping into her neck. Trying not to fall into his trance. Vampires can manipulate your mind so either you don’t feel the pain and watch your dreams come true or you feel the life being sucked out of yourself. She sat there on the floor, waiting for the right moment. Knowing she had a knife on the back of her neck, two on her wrists, two in her black leather boots, and one hidden on her side. They were all usable knives.

Swiftly reaching for her closest knife, which was the one in her left boot. Planting the silver knife -with magic on it, so it will sting and make harder to heal unlike it would- into his chest. She was a little dizzy from the loss of blood but would be fine. Being a vampire huntress all her life, she did not have any sympathy for those called vampires. Twisting the knife just to be sure, the “heart” is destroyed.

She removed the knife, wiped the blood on her jeans, and put the knife back in its place. She hid the body in the nearby closet. Twelve o’clock was nearly here. Acting as if she was a helpless, unknowing, young twenty-one year old human girl. Although a young, twenty-one year old human girl, Rebecca Anne Byrnes was not helpless. Rebecca was strong enough to take care of herself; she and everyone else knew that as a fact.

She has done so since she was seventeen years old, when a vampire killed her mom and dad on the same day. She swore to devote her life to killing the one who killed the only people who cared for her. That “man” was Jack. She ran away after she saw her mom’s severed head and her dad’s body parts scattered around the house. After all that she taught herself to fight, kill, and never back down.

Rebecca was at the party because she was looking for Jack. A while after midnight, Rebecca started to get unwanted attention, so she had to bail.

Getting home at nearly four-thirty in the morning. Greeting her Eurasian Lynx, Tom and she fell into her bed. She starred onto the black and red walls surrounding her. She never really liked color or anything other than black or red.

Slowly drifting to sleep with her right hand on Tom’s head. She didn’t normally dream, but when she did she listened. Tonight was one of those nights. She was dreaming she was running as fast as possible into nowhere. She stopped and started to fall. It wasn’t scary but soothing and peaceful.             She landed on her feet, like a cat. About two feet in front of her was a man. He looked like he was twenty-two, twenty-three years old; he had dark lagoon green eyes, and short black hair. He was wearing black jeans and no shirt, no shoes. He was starring into her gray-blue eyes like they would never end.

Wakening to the annoying buzz of the alarm clock. Starring at the time, which was seven o’clock AM. Pounding the clock until it would be silenced. Finally it shut up and she lay there a moment. Getting up slowly, thinking, I hate Monday, on the plus side, only two and a half hours of sleep again.

Taking a cold shower woke her up all the way. After the shower she got dressed, did her make-up, brushed her hair and looked at the full-length mirror. She looked at herself and saw; natural caramel skin, a beautiful form, long black wavy hair, tanned legs, and Rebecca knew what she looked like, but always wondered why only one man had an attraction to her. The only man was Jack. He killed her family after she refused to be changed. Now she lived her life trying to kill the only man that was brave enough to show he was fond of Rebecca Anne Byrnes. They loved each other. When Rebecca learned what he was, it all went down hill.

They broke up and then he killed them. Her life was perfect; she never knew the pain of death, now she lives it.
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Re: Shhhh. My friend Rachael let me read her book before it was finished. Here's the first chapter.

If this is her book, do you have permission to be posting the excerpt?
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

Re: Shhhh. My friend Rachael let me read her book before it was finished. Here's the first chapter.

Yeah don't worry. Me and her are really close. If she minds it wont be for long. As I said it will be out soon. She might as well spread the word that the best vampire book ever is coming out. I read the rest. It really is the best. It's kind of the same as when you want to buy a book online, here online. They let you preveiw it first. You know what I mean?
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

hey everyone,
She told me today: "Hey Janice, Oh I meant to tell you. I'm pretty much starting the book over. I've decided to take it from the dream and think it over wether I should. Soooooooo, ummm read it on myspace ok? I'll send it to tonight," is what she said. So yah I need to apoligize to you for thinking that this might be the actual first chapter of the best vampire book ever. So sorry.
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I really think that your friend might be rather angered if she knew that you posted this online Janice. A writer feels (at least I do) that their work is rather private when it is still in thee process of being completed and when they send one of their close friends a rough draft they hope tht only that person will be reading it. I would feel pretty mad if I knew that one of my friends posted some of my stories that I sent to them online. I'm sorry Janice if I seem like a spoilsport, but I just find what you are doing not right. Unless your friend said it was okay for you to do this, then it's alright. I'm sorry I have nothing to say about the chapter, because I don't feel right reading it. That is all I can really say.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

What you did is not only stupid but potentially damaging to her prospects. The internet is a place of commerce as well as free swap, and since she would like to commercially produce her book, you just bruised her chances. Anything and everything that gets up on the net will wind up being distributed, and one thing any potential publisher will want is free and clear title. You just stole her copyright and then gave it away. If I were her publisher, I'd reject this first chapter because it was published elsewhere, and I wouldn't want the legal hassles that will result from publishing something with a copyright owned elsewhere.

Foolish girl. Don't ever do that again.