Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ToriSky16

Skin - New Poem

Please leave any feedback, all feedback is greatly appreciated. I am still a novice at this, and could use any advice on how to better my writing. Thanks again!

Skin

Take a step back,

Look at life.

We have come so far.

The world has changed,

Yet we’re stuck in the past.

The years go on,

As the contradictions remain.

People continue walking the line,

Blinded in their ignorance.

There are those that lie plainly,

On opposite sides,

And those who deny they waiver.

None is innocent,

As we all hold judgment.

Time is said to heal all wounds.

Then why do we continue to fight?

The lines are clear,

Not to be crossed.

Skin is not merely protection,

But a blatant stance of where you lie.

The world is a melting pot,

Though many choose to see,

The world mixed like oil and water –

Each can never mix appropriately.

The times are changing,

Our society has welcomed new light and leadership.

Yet we still hold judgment,

We still criticize.

Swift actions are the words of fools,

And we act a fool when we wear our disguise –

The one that keeps our true feelings hidden.

For you can never truly hide,

They way you feel inside,

About the skin of others.

Those who jump the gun,

Make a mockery of us all.

Whether right or wrong,

We all make mistakes.

The world is an imperfect place.

But if we continued to build a war,

We will get exactly what we asked for.

Why are we all so full of hate?

Why can’t we just see past,

The protection that holds our bodies together,

To find the person within?

Learn to live and let go,

For nothing good will come,

Of the hate and guilt that hypnotizes the mind.

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Re: Skin - New Poem

OH, Tori, that is so awesome! I really LOVE the last stanza..I often ask those questions to myself..It is so true..I love it! :smileyhappy:
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Contributor
ToriSky16
0 Kudos

Thank You! I think many of us ask these questions, if only it made a difference.
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

yeah, I know..:smileysad: if someone would take the time to answer them..
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

wow... i dont know what to say. that was so amazing, so capturing, so i dont know. it holds truth in every word, as well as emotion and passion. i reall yreall liked it. publish it!

there are so many good poems and stories in these book clubs. i just want to stick them in my pocket hand hold on to them. i wish i could.

"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Contributor
ToriSky16
0 Kudos

Thank you! I have no idea where I would publish it though...
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

that me too. people say to publish things, but i dont know how...
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."