Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

So, curiosity.

So I'm just curious, does anyone know how to get anything published? My friend has completed two novels and I'm working on mine plus we both write a ton of poetry but we have no idea how to publish any of it. Any ideas? 
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01

Re: So, curiosity.

Quelle surprise! I'm in the exact same predicament...except I have a tad more bit on an insight.

From what I hear, you're first going to want to research the publishing companies you want to submit your work to. Because if your work doesn't fit their criteria for the novels they generally publish, it will never get through. Also, most publishing companies won't look twice at a manuscript that hasn't been suggested by an agent, so you're going to want to contact them first.

While (if) you're trying to find the right agent, you also want to research the type of QUERIES (or book proposals) the company requires you send to their agents. I can't really define it much better than that. By the way: Certain agents will only consider certain genres. So, once again, DO YOUR RESEARCH on the story genres agents are looking for.

Also, I know that there is iUniverse, which is basically a self-publishing company that you can use to publish your book yourself. However, if you want your book to sell, it's best if you publish through somebody like Little, Brown and Company, because most self-published books will not appear in most bookstores.

I hope this helps!

Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information. =)

Oh, if anyone is looking for self publishing lulu.com is a good place in addition to iUniverse.  

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Okay, thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.