Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Fabian-Johnson
0 Kudos

So, my books on sale now...but how do I actually "sell" it?

A Hero's Legacy   Hello! Thanks for reading this first off. I'll try not to waste your time.

I finally got my book published and it's on sale now on Amazon and this B&N too. From what I'm hearing from those who have read my personal copy It's suprisingly good. Even those who don't like to read can't put it down. The problem is I'm still pretty much a nobody and the chances of anyone searching me or my book are slim to none. I can't even find it without searching for for my name or the title! So, here's my question. Can any of you give me any advice? Here's a little about it if you are curious.

It's fantasy fiction first off. The first of 3 "hopefully". at 240 pages it;s 94,000 words long about. It;s about young dragon riders who are trying to fill in the shoes of their fallen fathers. It revolves around two of the riders, Michael Rinhart and Maxwell Douglas, the leader of the Minotaur ,Duke, and Maxwell's dad Victor. Michael's dad, like all of the others, is dead. The only difference is that Michael's dad "Mathis" is considered a hero and was one of the best there ever was. MAxwell's dad is still alive but he is one seriously bad guy, he does have a good reason for it though. So, mAxwell's kinda hated since people think he will turn out evil as well. There are others too, each with their own personalities and they are all pretty good friends as they are tought by "Captain Daniels" who is the only survivor of the previous generation. The plot is like this. The same necromancer who killed off the previous riders is still alive. He had the help of his pet wyrm and even though the giant beast is dead he has the means and the will to bring it back. With the help of Duke and his army as well as Victor, who is by far the strongest rider alive, he plans on ressurecting it. Now the boys have to stop him but it seems pretty hopeless since they are still just kids and there are only 8 of them.

Contributor
Fabian-Johnson
0 Kudos

Re: So, my books on sale now...but how do I actually "sell" it?

Well, if you are still reading this you must be interested. I'll go ahead and tell you a bit more about this book and a bit about me. I am 24 years old and I'm actually in the Army right now. This is my last year (Thank goodness) after 7 years of service. Now, onto the storyline.

I actually started writing this because I'm a big fan of fantasy fiction. Then after reading a bunch of novels such as "Eragon" I realized that I can already tell exactly how things will play out. It kinda took away from the point of reading. Plus, most stories are simply just too cliche nowadays and I felt that dragon riders had far more potential than what other stories allowed. So I wrote this to hopefully explore that potential. Oh, the book, sorry!

Anyways, In this novel I hoped to address a few annoyances that I've experienced while reading. I tried to do away with as much cliche's and convenient solutions as possible. Also, I promise that no one can guess how this book and especially the series will end. Every character has their own personality (Even the extras) and the bad guys have a really good reason to be how they are. I kinda want to blur the line between good and evil a bit and I'm sure that a few people will see eye to eye with the bad guys. It's really just a matter of prespective. Also, the dragon riders are really special beings. As a quote from the book would say "There's more to being a rider than just riding on the back of your dragon". There is magic as well as some pretty awesome fight scenes. I also tried to explain magic too. The whole "it's just magic" explanation really wasn't flying with me. And I apologize for any of my typos. I had the book edited and proofread professionally so you shouldn't be stumbling over errors too much.

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

I well I have no experience on how to sell books, but if I were to try and sell it well I would do what you already did, which was post that you wrote a book on here and entice them to read your book. I think it look's very good and would like to buy it. And I was looking up your name and book and like you probably already know there is a German Soccer player with the exact same name as you.

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Inspired Correspondent
Flowering
0 Kudos

Heck, I wouldnt know, because I never even wrote a book. But, I read somewhere that you should schedual book readings, and little events, like make yourself known, go to library's, all that stuff. Hope that helps.

Inspired Correspondent
Flowering
0 Kudos

I think I'll go look it up now!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Congratulations on publication. 

I looked up your publisher - Wheatmark - and they have a number of marketing tips and strategies available to you including a marketing strategies workbook available for download so definitely read through everything they have to offer.

You'll need to do a good deal of legwork (or at least make your keyboard do the walking) to get your information circulating.  Find forums and boards that allow authors to post information and links about their work (the Community Room here at BNBC has a thread called "Read my Book" ).  Check with your publisher to see if they allow you to send review copies.  Find book bloggers who read books in your genre and pitch your book to them if possible.  There are some literary agents with blogs and they give great advice.

Finally (and I'm going to be really blunt here), don't write "Thanks for reading this first off.  I'll try not to waste your time."  If you need to communicate professionally with someone all that says is "My work is probably really bad and I don't believe in it at all" and they really aren't going to want to read more.  Agents aren't interested in half-baked pitches; they want to know an author stands behind their work and is willing to get out there and work it. 

Fabian-Johnson wrote:

A Hero's Legacy   Hello! Thanks for reading this first off. I'll try not to waste your time.

I finally got my book published and it's on sale now on Amazon and this B&N too. From what I'm hearing from those who have read my personal copy It's suprisingly good. Even those who don't like to read can't put it down. The problem is I'm still pretty much a nobody and the chances of anyone searching me or my book are slim to none. I can't even find it without searching for for my name or the title! So, here's my question. Can any of you give me any advice? Here's a little about it if you are curious.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Some great advice here. Do try and arrange events. Readings are a great idea. You might find it useful to do other events, too, that incorporate your book. You might do a lecture on what it was like to publish your work. That helps to get your name out there. Start local—bookstores, libraries, writing groups, reading groups interested in your genre. If there’s a connection, people or companies may be more willing to take a chance on someone who doesn’t already have a proven track record. Good luck!

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Contributor
Fabian-Johnson
0 Kudos

Hmm, all of this is really great advice. Thank you all. Especially the moderator who suggested I not start out the way I did this post. I really do believe in my work and I think It is REALLY good, but starting off the way I did was definetly not smart. I'll talk to a few local bookstores about possibly doing a reading. I think that would be best for starting out. I'm posotive after hearing the first few chapters people willop become very interested. Again, thanks you guys. Any other suggestions are still more than welcome.