Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ToriSky16

The Sounds of Feeling

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, please let me know what you think so I can continue to improve. Thanks!

The Sounds of Feeling

Ears erect with puzzled awe.

I lean to press my ear,

Against the obstruction invading my perception.

The door opens wide,

I am sucked inside.

Voices and instruments colliding with dexterous precision.

I lift my head up to the ominous light,

Craning my neck at the wondrous beauty that has enveloped me.

My eyes are wide,

My ears erect,

My senses heightened with feeling.

Feeling emanating from the sounds.

They burrow themselves through my thoughts,

Making a home in my heart.

Piercing the hearing through sound waves of passion.

They hold meaning within,

They can heal open wounds.

This is what feelings sound like.

No matter who am I,

No matter where I am,

They will find me and make their way in.

Pulsing to the beat of my heart.

The sounds radiate sensation and emotion,

I can feel the experience washing over me.

No matter the destination,

No matter the mood,

The sounds are always there to guide me.

I let the beauty take over me,

Listening to the brilliance in harmony.

This is a gift,

A gift of feeling.

Opening my ears and expanding my mind,

I let myself truly feel.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Re: The Sounds of Feeling

Ack...everything in this poem so totally knocks against the walls of my heart! I am reminded of things that I have held myself back from for so long, and it sends pangs of sorrow through my veins. This is an excellent poem for you to make me feel in this way :-)

My only complaint is that though you are descriptive and you are writing using free style poetry, your lines are somewhat choppy and need to be shortened in areas. Such as the words "voices and instruments colliding with dexterous precision" would do best divided into two lines, not just one.

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I agree with twilightfanatic. Some of those longer lines could be cut in half. By the way, good job with the punctuation. :smileywink: I like the way you write with such details and emotion. I liked it.
Contributor
ToriSky16
0 Kudos

Thanks! And thanks for the advice, I agree. Sometimes I just get carried away and end up carrying on in some lines. I appreciate the feedback.
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wow, again, im breathless. i really like the last 2 stanzas. you are truely brilliant. you write with sich emotion and passion, and truthfullness. once again(like the skin poem post i said) i love so many stories and exerpts and poems, i wish i could put them in a pocked near my heart and hold on to them, remember them, share them, feel them.

Message Edited by random97 on 08-03-2009 02:16 AM
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."