Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

The most over-used storyline: ?

Lately a lot of stories have been sounding alike. I'll walk into the bookstore and it's like there will be this one book about this thing and a book just a shelf down sounds almost the same. There are so many books coming out that seem to have the same plot. But in a way it's just like a joke; it might be funny the first time, but after that it's just annoying. It's getting me to wonder whether we've run out of ideas and are just jumping for the easy ones.

Since Twilight came out I've been hearing about all different books about vampires because suddenly people are on a vampire high. And usually it's a love story between a vampire and a human because that's the forbidden relationship and therefore it's interesting. But is this plot becoming a little worn out, do you think?

Anybody else tired of a common plot?

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
--twilight--
0 Kudos

Re: The most over-used storyline: ?

i totally agree there are alot of books that are the same now and i keep hearing alot about vampire books to, i mean like come on how many vampire books can you read before you start to get bored of the same old thing.
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

Re: The most overused storyline: ?

I agree that there are a lot of books with similar story lines. Unfortunately whatever is trendy sells so if Twilight sells then bookstores are going to push everything they have that is similar to it. We, as readers, just have to dig deeper to find something different. All stories draw from one of a dozen themes that encompasses stories and plots, its just how their told that makes them different and worth reading. I found some different books in the new author section at B&N. Check into that. Oh, and you might want to try and avoid the teen reads until the vampire thing gets old. I recommend the classics.
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

simple_girl wrote:
Oh, and you might want to try and avoid the teen reads until the vampire thing gets old. I recommend the classics.

I realize that I don't visit the Teen Reads mostly because I don't read very many teen books, but when I've been there all I see is posts and threads titled Twilight. It's just one of those things...

What happened to Dracula?

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
simple_girl
0 Kudos

I agree with you Dreamer4ever. Bram Stoker's Dracula was brilliant. But so many of the classics are, that's why they're classics. Side note, I have to say that even though Agatha Christie's writing is sometimes choppy she is a master storyteller. That is what makes her work worth acknowledgement.

Sometimes I feel that the writing standards (not only grammatically but charismatically) have become lax nowadays. This isn't always a bad thing but at the same time I can't help but feel that the quality of a story is jeopardized by this. Does anyone else feel this way?

"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
marilynpsychic

Yes, I agree, some storylines (like "Twilight") are getting overused.  The thing is that someone reads or sees a movie that really resonates within them, and they want to run out and put their own spin on it.  Which is all well and good if you are "practicing" at becoming a writer.  (Most writers always start with an idea that jazzes them!)  But the path to publication for these kinds of "string-along" types of books is long and untimately futile.  And if you make it to publication, that genre has probably already run out of steam and readers. 

So I'd suggest writing whatever excites you, or arouses your passion.  Then put it away for awhile.  When you reread it later with a more jaundiced eye, maybe you'll discern that it wasn't the "vampire romance" that excited you.  But the almost hidden idea of "forbidden love" (like Romeo and Juliet), or "dedicating your life to someone so very different and even dangerous".

Then you can take your new understanding of what you wrote, and do something more original.

(By the way, I checked out the New Authors page.  The first book listed was "Little Men" -- hardly new -- and a colorful ad for a "first three minutes free!" psychic ...)

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Yeah...I'd like to see some newer books that aren't all Twilight-ish (even though I am, like, OBSESSED with Twilight). It makes me think exactly how hard it is to write a story that hasn't already been, erm, DONE. 'Cause I recently started reading Kelly Armstrong's The Summoning and I noticed many points that were simillar to my story (AARGH!).

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

So true, Dreamer4ever. As another poster mentioned, as soon as something hits it big there can be a lot of books that try and benefit from that popularity. In part, it seems to come from people getting excited about the topic. This includes writers, who want to explore the topic in their own way. I remember this happening with Brown's The DaVinci Code, too.
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
sandySG
0 Kudos

there have been a lot of vampire/human relationships in the story line of quite a few books i've read...but i think it's okay as long as there aren't too many similarities...
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

When Anne Rice started writing about vampires I tried to read some of what she had written.  I admit I like the series Buffy the Vampire slayer which had a sympathetic vampire "Angel" who had reformed.  However he didn't change until after a curse that returned his soul.  What happened to vampires as monsters?  I thought interview with a vampire was a very crappy storyline about a jaded vampire and is basically behind the whole vampire fanatics crap.

These teens probably have parents who read Anne Rice and they perpetuated the vampire obsession.  I have read the Twilight books several times.  The reason I got momentarily "obsessed" with them though was trying to understand the whole "how to write a popular series" concept rather than my belief that there are "good" vampires.  My belief is generally against the whole idea of casting monsters as good guys.  Dracula is my idea of a good Vampire story. 

I went through a high school horror obsession.  I have to tell you that the plot of a family where the father was a professor moving with his family to some creepy house or creepy town and one of the children becoming possessed by a toy, something in the forest or other reason was the most recurring plot in the cheesy horror I read.  Definitely a stupid phase of my reading hobby.  The books were definitely interchangable, poorly edited and generally a waste of time.

The local library is full of vampire books right now, including the young adult section.  My local library is lacking some very fine science fiction writers, however they have tons of vampire garbage.  I have not read all of these books, however I think that the vampire obsession has to end sometime.  I hope it ends soon, though the fact that it has continued with the foundation that Anne Rice started is disheartening.

While I believe that it is good to have teens and children develop reading skills and habits, I wish that they would find better role models available in what they read.  I like the Harry Potter books.  However I am not an obsessed fan and find it a little disappointing that there is a separate forum here for Harry Potter.  There are so many great writers who are not represented by a forum of their own.  I cringe at the thought that with so many Twilight threads popping up that they will most likely get their own forum here eventually. 

I did visit the teens forum, to see what they are reading as one of the things I would like to write is teen fiction.  I read a thread by a teen who is apparently obsessed by a series called the Clique books.  I plan to look for at least one in my local library the next time I visit, however I did check the B&N site about the book she was talking about and the synopsis makes me cringe.  I suspect that reading them, I am going to find them even worse than the Sweet Valley High books that were popular when I was in high school.

I wonder when the connotation of the word clique being a negative thing, comparable to the caste system of India making so many teens feel like outcasts was lost.  I guess the desire to be in the popular crowd is still predominant in teen society.  The Clique synopsis I read made me think that the person writing them is glorifying the "popular" people.  I guess since movie stars are such a phenoena I shouldn't be surprised.

I am against censorship.  My parents did not pre-read what I read to see if it was age suitable.  They did not care what I read.  My mother was in fact rather anti-reading as she thinks it is a waste of time.  I however tried to warn my cousin against letting her daughter read Christopher Pike when her daughter was a teenager.  I was appalled at a plot where the "popular chicks" tied up one of their boyfriends and forced him to od on cocaine...they got caught in the end, but not until after killing another boy who set them up to murder him so they would be caught.  I honestly believe that my cousin should have found other, better, books for her daughter to read instead of just the popular at the time author.

I hate the over used plotline of doing whatever it takes to become popular.  This I think sets a bad example for teenagers.  The only redeeming thing I can say about the character Bella in the Twilight series is that at least she wasn't seeking popularity.  Well maybe that and she was actually a reader.  Though the constant references to Romeo and Juliet, the forbidden love thing that was the whole concept of the books got a bit old.

I joined a local writer's group and am sad to say that two of the members of the critique group there are Twilight obsessed.  One is writing fan fic about Edward.  I think it is such a waste for people to write about someone else's alternate universe.  They would be better off using their ideas to create their own characters than borrowing some popular author's character.  I personally liked her original piece she showed better than her wasting time writing about Edward. 

Sorry this was such a long rant.  I also hate damsel in distress themes which was also included in the Twilight series.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Plaidfroggie, three words: I totally agree.
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

Dreamer4ever, I was afraid I was so long winded in my opinion that I was going to offend everyone who visited this thread.  Thank you for encouraging me to speak my mind.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Your welcome. I know what you mean. Everyone seems to be so worried about offending someone else all the time. And I was worried about that when I started this thread cause I know how many people write the storylines I don't like, so I applaud people like you who just come out and say it.

Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I officially finished the entire Clique series.  Every one of the books was in my library.  I can now say that she used the same storyline for all 10 Clique books and the 5 summer series books.  Anything to be popular.

I loved Dean Koontz "Watchers" book, then when he followed up with many formulaic novels with the same storyline I lost interest.  I got tired of an ex military guy finding a damsel in distress theme that was woven through them.  I have read some of his more recent novels and am relieved to see that he overcame that hurdle.

I *shudders* visited the Clique thread in the teen rad forum here and now realize that Lisi Harrison will never overcome her basic storyline of anything to be popular.  She is just moving on to a different set of girls.  I guess if repetition sells they will keep doing it.

Hope the reading public gets sick of the authors that do a series with every book repeating the same storyline.  I mean I think that Francine Pascal didn't have to learn that, but hopefully the fact that Lisi Harrison's series is even more shallow will mean that she doesn't retain her popularity as a tween author and influence another shallow generation that thinks looks and money are all that matter in the world.

Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

I definitely agree with you on this one plaidfroggie.

In the teen section, ALL there is is vampires vampires vampires! Teens these days don't sit down and read Pride and Prejudice (Like my favorite) or Great Expectations.

And, The Clique Series... Really sucks.

All they do in that series is apply lipgloss, and chase after boys. Bo-ring. No purpose whatsoever. You are totally right.

Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

I know what you guys mean. The Clique series & Gossip Girl series are just terrible! And I'm really getting sick of this whole vampire fad (with that said, ignore my username - i got this account the summer i read twilight, and now i'm kinda regretting using it as a username lol) All teens my age say that they have read all the good vampire books and I just say to them, "Ever read Anne Rice? Bram Stoker?" And they always say something like, "uhh, no. I mean the good vampire books." I feel like screaming at them that those are the good books !! All teens read these days are the trendy books, and never the classics. Right now in school we're reading Hamlet, and I'm the only one in my class who already read it. Most of the kids hate reading Shakespeare, but I actually like it. Sorry for my never-ending rant. =)
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

Pennley_Love wrote:

I definitely agree with you on this one plaidfroggie.

In the teen section, ALL there is is vampires vampires vampires! Teens these days don't sit down and read Pride and Prejudice (Like my favorite) or Great Expectations.

And, The Clique Series... Really sucks.

All they do in that series is apply lipgloss, and chase after boys. Bo-ring. No purpose whatsoever. You are totally right.

Hey now Pennley_Love! I'm 15 and currently reading Wuthering Heights. and I picked up Pride and Prejudice! I'm trying to read the classics. I'm sick of all the vampires. I do love the Twilight series. I am obsessed. but I still am getting sick of it. It's everywhere! ugh. I just really liked the idea of the forbidden love with Twilight. =] and yes, when i first started it I was very much into the vampires, but not so much anymore.
~Lexi-Bear
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

i tried to read pride and prejudice but the wording is so hard. but i did read the first.... 20 pages:smileyhappy: haha
You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

I agree it's quite over used. I prefer original ideas. They keep me more intigued and intrested. I want a book plot that will make me lose sleep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cuz I gotta couple dents in my fender. Gotta couple rips in my jeans. Try to fit the pieces together, but perfection is my enemy! On my own i'm so clumsy, but on your shoulders i can see... I'm free to be me!- Francesca Battistelli
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

i agree, aidyn_loves_miguel.
~Lexi-Bear