Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

Thinking While Sleeping

Reading about this sleep study, I was not surprised. I do some of my best writing while sleeping. In fact, if I'm really stuck on a problem, I often take a nap, and when I wake up, I've solved it.

Quote:

"...the unconscious brain is our own personal supercomputer. While our consciousness can only process about 40 bits of information per second, the unconscious can process several million bits per second. As a result, it plays an essential role in helping us learn new information and properly assimilate it into our existing store of knowledge.... It's ironic, but true: some of our best thinking is done while sleeping."
Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

Re: Thinking While Sleeping

Daniel,

It's not just sleep. I recently solved a plotting problem while semi-delirious with a virus. I asked my wife to get me a notepad and a pen (I was too weak to get them myself), and I scribbled out the plot points before collapsing into sleep.

A couple of days later, I fished the notepad out of my sock drawer. Not surprisingly, the handwriting was horrible, but the notes themselves neatly solved what I'd been brainstorming without success for about a week.

And don't even get me started on the shower...
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

you know what else works? marijuana, magic mushrooms, and a little bit o' methamphetamine...

..or, that's what I heard...

...from this guy I know...

...not really a Friend, just a Guy...

ya..

just kidding

JUST SAY NO!
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

crAZRick wrote:
you know what else works? marijuana, magic mushrooms, and a little bit o' methamphetamine...

..or, that's what I heard...

...from this guy I know...

...not really a Friend, just a Guy...

ya..

just kidding

JUST SAY NO!

"If you write high, edit straight. If you write straight, edit high."

- Timothy Leary

Here's the problem with reliance on drugs - or for that matter alchohol, pills, or what have you - for creative horsepower: it's impossible to maintain. Drugs open something up that cause a rush of thought and feeling and energy, and that can produce results. But just like the hare who loses to the tortoise, that rush depletes you. The kind of energy that is tapped into naturally is reliable. It will last your whole life.
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

Brendan_M_Burns wrote:
Daniel,

It's not just sleep. I recently solved a plotting problem while semi-delirious with a virus. I asked my wife to get me a notepad and a pen (I was too weak to get them myself), and I scribbled out the plot points before collapsing into sleep.

A couple of days later, I fished the notepad out of my sock drawer. Not surprisingly, the handwriting was horrible, but the notes themselves neatly solved what I'd been brainstorming without success for about a week.

And don't even get me started on the shower...

And the crapper.

There. Someone had to say it.

I've also sometimes cooked up scenarios in dreams which, upon waking, I realize would be great movie premises. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

On the flip side, I've once or twice had a brilliant idea in a dream - for a premise, or a solution to a script problem - only to forget all but the excitement I felt when having the idea. Which is why it pays to have a notepad by the bed.

It must be said that some 'brilliant' ideas from dreams are complete **bleep**e.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

the *bleeped* ones tend to be my particular forte, unfortunately...
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

danielnoah wrote:
And the crapper.

There. Someone had to say it.

I've also sometimes cooked up scenarios in dreams which, upon waking, I realize would be great movie premises. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

On the flip side, I've once or twice had a brilliant idea in a dream - for a premise, or a solution to a script problem - only to forget all but the excitement I felt when having the idea. Which is why it pays to have a notepad by the bed.

It must be said that some 'brilliant' ideas from dreams are complete **bleep**e.

Or some convoluted combination of crapper/waking-dream...

after all, lest we forget, that is the Where and How of it behind Doc Emmett Brown's life-altering, space-and-time-shifting conceptualization of the infamous Flux-Capacitor. He was on the crapper (Ok, so he was standing on it, fixing a clock, so what?) when he slipped and fell, cracking his skull. When he came to, the Flux-Capacitor spilled forth from his brain, while blood spilled forth from the gash on his melon.

If Speilberg chooses to include such a turn of events in his contemporary myths, it must be relevant!!
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

crAZRick wrote:

If Speilberg chooses to include such a turn of events in his contemporary myths, it must be relevant!!

Zemekis. Booyah.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

well, if Speilberg told Zemekis 'Dude, no toilet humor in a movie with my name linked to it...' I'm sure Zemekis would have complied.
Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

In this same vein, I've noticed that my writing ideas never come more easily or copiously than when I am deeply involved with something else -- under a tight deadline, say, or developing a product for a client.

At those times, while one side of my brain is trying to stay focused on the task at hand, the other side is furiously cranking out story ideas, articles, character backgrounds, and even whole stageplay scenes. Mostly, I try to ignore it, for the obvious reason that I don't have the time to indulge it, with the thought that I'll come back to it later, but as Daniel indicated, as with dreams, if I don't somehow record these 'flashes,' they pretty much fade away.

I discussed this with a friend, who suggested a plausible explanation. Although I'm working hard on a project for a client, it's really the last thing in the world I actually want to do. Being naturally lazy, I'd rather be concentrating on my own self-oriented pursuits. Hence, my brain tries to 'help' me by sabatoging my efforts and providing an out. Thankfully (at least for my clients), I don't usually take the bait.
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

Brendan, I think that's great. Before I was a full time writer, when I toiled away at various day jobs in New York, I was exactly the same way. My other struggling writer friends and I used to call it "the pressure cooker." Ideas and creative energy build and build inside the pressure cooker over all those hours when you can't let any of it out. Then you go home and release it in a furious torrent of writing.

Are you doing that last part? Because if your experience is like mine, in just an hour or two at the end of the day you can put down a full day's worth of work, compliments of your powerful unconscious.
Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

danielnoah wrote:
Are you doing that last part? Because if your experience is like mine, in just an hour or two at the end of the day you can put down a full day's worth of work, compliments of your powerful unconscious.

Sadly I'm not doing that last part as much as I should (for a host of reasons, none of them very good). However, when I am able to dump it all out, I end up with some pretty good building blocks. I just can't maintain any consistency that way. Unless and until I'm able to focus some serious time on my writing, I'm never going to produce anything that I'm satisfied with. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I know from past experience that I *can* do it -- it's just a matter of doing it.