Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Topic 27: Writerly Resolutions

December is upon us and before long we’ll be ringing in a new year. This is a good time to start thinking about what you want to accomplish in your writing during 2008. What are your writing goals for 2008? What resolutions will you make in terms of the practice of writing or reading?
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Re: Topic 27: Writerly Resolutions

Ahh...I don't know...maybe I'll actually finish writing something in 2008!!!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Hmm, good question. So far all I've really planned is to do National Novel Editing Month in March, and National Novel Writing Month again in November.

I want to write a little more regularly (as in, not just one crazy burst one month out of the year), and I want to encourage my IRL buddies to do more with their writing.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

i want to finish my novel by next year...and maybe get my first boyfriend:smileyvery-happy: lol
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:
December is upon us and before long we’ll be ringing in a new year. This is a good time to start thinking about what you want to accomplish in your writing during 2008. What are your writing goals for 2008? What resolutions will you make in terms of the practice of writing or reading?

My writing goal is to get published in print.
My resolution in terms of the practice of writing or reading is to read like a writer and not so much as a reader. As a reader I read because I enjoy reading. As a writer, I must learn writing techniques from whatever I read.
So far, I'm getting better at avoiding the use of adverbs.

If anybody wants to read the new lyrics to an old song, here's the link:

www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=183125

Hope you like it!
Happy Holidays.
Contributor
Weave
0 Kudos

You know, it really is best to go all-out on these kinds of things, so albeit there is little chance I will actually accomplish all or even some of these goals, I'll say I will regardless of reality and its attempts to occlude my passion!

()Finish my fantasy-fiction novel.

()Have my artist friend illustrate my cover.

()Create copies for distribution.

()Get myself known to the general public, distributing copies of my novel so that the word gets out (do not resort to Paolini's lame attempts at garbing himself in the attire of a medieval knight).

()Get published! Hoo-ha-ha!

()...Make a million dollars.

()Win a Noble Peace Prize.

()Learn to fly like that weird Criss Angel guy.

Sounds like a fun '08, don'tcha think?
Together we fall not as one, but rise as many.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I want to be able to write something concrete. I want to improve everything because, girl, I swear, I am so inconsistent.
I want to transcend my self expectations for 2-oh*oh-8.
I hate to admit it but being organized gets you somewhere. Hehe.
Like none of you knows this. Ddooohhh (home s. )
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
New User
mrsduby
0 Kudos

speaking of writing resolutions.. has anyone ever tried writing the story of their childhood and found it way too emotionally taxing ? how do you deal with that ?
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Depends on what you're trying to write, but yes there are things in my past that I'm not ready to write yet. Sometimes that means you need a bit more time.

If you really want to work on it, but aren't able to write some of the episodes yet, you might consider just outlining the stuff you want to include. That way you won't forget some important scene later, but you don't have to write it till you're ready.

And don't do it all at once ... deal with one episode/memory/trauma at a time. No need to torture yourself. Writing something so personal can be pretty intense. Give yourself time to process. Don't worry about writing it well; you can edit later. Just get on paper what you can handle.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Yep, that's pretty good advise, kristen, when it comes to the intense stuff, take it slow
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Perhaps that, too, can be a resolution—to take it slow. I know I often try and hurry things along in the creative process and I learn time and again, that just doesn’t work. As relevant to difficult material as it is to writing in general.

These are great goals. And many of you have made goals that are very specific. I find those the most useful in my own process. You can gauge whether you’ve met the goal or not.
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com