Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Topic 6: Summer Reading

It’s summer and the warmer weather and longer days provide some wonderful opportunities to take some time for reading. Indeed, many publications are offering up their lists for the best books to tuck into this summer. (Check out Salon.com’s suggestions on summer thrillers, chick lit, or great escapes. And NPR asked the first female brewmaster, an urban planner, and Utah's remote librarian for their summer reads.) What are you planning to read this summer? What are you hoping to get out of the reading experience that might inform or enhance your own writing?
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Contributor
bmeekers
0 Kudos

Re: Topic 6: Summer Reading

hmmm... well i'm planning to read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, Sula by Toni Morrison, etc. It's part of my summer reading for school, but i tend to enjoy the books they assign us.
-Bee
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I'm reading House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende as part of a summer assignment. So far this summer, I have read Love in the Time of Cholera, Dubliners, The Name of the Rose, and a few others from different genres, and I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights. I plan to read Anna Karenina, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and whatever else I have time for. I'm trying to pay attention to plot intricacy and how details are woven together tightly, because that tends to be a weakness in my writing sometimes. I'm also looking for recurring symbols and how they are used in different ways. Luckily, I learned a lot in my English class this year about reading critically and noticing/appreciating details and subtleties, so hopefully these newly acquired skills will help me with my own writing. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Noir
0 Kudos

Right now, I'm reading "The Year's Best Science Fiction twenty-third annual collection". I'm trying to improve my short story writing skills by reading a variety of published short story authors. This will allow me to see what the editors were interested in publishing last year. This way I can keep my original story idea, but make sure that it meets current trends in Science Fiction.
New User
persephonehalliwell
0 Kudos

So far my reading has dwindled to quick reads of magazines and newspapers. I am still in the middle of reading Mockingbird, a book about author Harper Lee.
Contributor
shortstop6
0 Kudos

I'm reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. This novel has been chosen to be read by as many Reading Groups as possible, in the UK. David Mitchell is a wonderfully inventive writer, with a good ear for natural sounding dialogue.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading quite a few books. All classics, I'm abut half done with To Kill a Mockingbird. Great book, I can't put it down. I'll list the others later, I'm reading a lot. I couldn't read as much as I do if I didn't have the memory like I have. I have an awsome memory. I'm very blessed to have such a good one.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Great lists, with a nice blend of both contemporary and classic works. Thanks for sharing these. Some of you show a deliberateness in connecting your reading with your own work and I think that’s an important step for the writer. It’s a great way to help yourself to be aware of and invite learning into the reading process.

As to my own reading this summer, I read Will Allison’s What You Have Left with an eye for how a novel can move between two very different times and Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants for a sense of how (and how not) to write while integrating research. I’m currently reading Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Half of a Yellow Sun about Biafra’s struggle for independence in Nigeria, for a look at how one can a historical event into being on the page.

Don’t hesitate to let us know how your reading goes as the summer progresses. If you make any discoveries or want to share a great book, feel welcome to post it here!
Reader
Andrea11
0 Kudos

I work in a high school library so summer is about the only time I get to actually read the books. I read a lot of books for young people,(how else can I recommend them) but take time for myself in between. So far this summer I have read My Sister's Keeper--excellent. The Freedom Writer's Diary--also excellent. Wuthering Heights, which I skipped in my own high school days. I spent the entire read trying to discover any redeaming characteristics in the protagonist and couldn't. I then switched to Home to Big Stone Gap, mainly because my daughter just completed a job there and I was interested in the area. It's was pretty good. Next on my list, Lean, Mean, Thirteen, just for fun, then back to work with Letters to a Young Brother and Artemis Fowl.
New User
Buffy
0 Kudos

I read "Things Fall Apart" in my college literary class. It's a really good story. Let me know how it goes for you.
New User
Buffy
0 Kudos

From the B&N reading list, I picked "The Art of Air and Shadows" by Michael Gruber and finished it in June. It is written with three different viewpoints, each one startig at the next chapter. Sometimes it was a little hard to remember what one viewpoint left off with and I would have to flip back a few pages.
I found the character Jake Mishkin a little hard to believe as a real person because of his super strength and lavish lifestyle. Makes me think the author fantasized himself as a rich, strong man who did whatever he wanted.
Another author, Jean M. Auel did the very thing with her character Ayla from "The Clan of the Cavebear". Ayla turns out to be this wonderwoman in the sequels. Ayla can pick up new languages as fast as she hears them, has superior strength and is always considerate of others. Mrs. Auel attributes Ayla's super powers from growing up with the cavemen.

Brandi, do you think alot of authors put themselves in their stories as they wish themselves to be?
New User
Buffy
0 Kudos

Just a note to say hello. I registered a few months ago, but this is the first time I'm reading members' stuff.

Ps. You must have a good memory to be a history buff. I always get things mixed up.
Contributor
Summ3rSunshin3_21
0 Kudos

Summer is the best time to read for me, especially becuase reading two books at once (personal vs assigned) during the school year is not always ideal.
So far this summer I have re-read the Harry Potter Series.
The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs
^ This book has an excellnt, attention-grabbing introduction and allows you to have a good laugh while learning
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
^ fairly good, kind of like 1984, but scary predicitons which are a reality today

I have yet to read
100 Years of Solitude and The Moviegoer for school, but if anyone has read either book and enjoyed them please let me know.

I also plan on reading "A Room With a View" and "Treasure Island", but does anyone else have anyone interesting summer finds??
Why fit in...when you were born to stand out?
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

I just ordered "Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette" by Sena Jeter Naslund. The author is leading a book club discussion of it next month. I chose this because I am trying to write historical fiction about a biblical queen and I thought it might give me some ideas on how to tell my story.

Is anyone else participating in another book club or planning join one in August?

Marcia
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I'm working all summer, but if I get the chance I'm hoping to pick up a few Neil Gaiman books, like American Gods, Anansi Boys, Stardust, and the new one Interworld.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Buffy wrote:
Brandi, do you think alot of authors put themselves in their stories as they wish themselves to be?

An interesting question and I imagine some writers do this. Is this how you write? What about others on the board? What do you all think?
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

S U M M E R R E A D I N G ♥

1)Black Tatoo
2)Daughters of the Moon 1-12
3)Harry Potter 7
4)Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

I long for Eclipse, it comes out on the 7th.
I am dome with Black Tatoo
I am on Harry Potter(dropped everything to read it)
I am on book 8 of Daughters of the Moon -- great teen book.
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

Buffy wrote:

An interesting question and I imagine some writers do this. Is this how you write? What about others on the board? What do you all think?

A lot of my stories are based on my experiences so a version of me is in each of them. I don't think I ever idealize the "me" character. Any variations from reality are in the interest of the story, I hope.

Marcia