Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Re: Topic 9: What are you writing now?

Glad to hear from several of you about your current projects. There’s such a wonderful energy and enthusiasm in these messages. Keep up that momentum!
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Contributor
Cup_of_Joe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Brandi_R wrote:

Cup_of_Joe wrote:
I have just finished the final version of my 100,000-word near-future, sci-fi novel, called "Cyberdrome." After making a another run through the synopsis, I will be sending it and the first 3 chapters off to an agent for review.

After that, I have a few short stories outlined, just to give myself a little break before starting the next big novel (which will be a far-future, first exploration of a water-planet (no solid land). Since I am an oceanographer by day, I thought the next undertaking should use that background (as they say, write what you know!).

Joe

That will be a great opportunity to use your unique knowledge in a work of fiction. And I imagine your knowledge will also open up possibilities for conflict, deeper metaphor, etc. Congratulations on finishing up the first novel. Do let us know how your agent-hunting goes.

Thanks for the kind words, Brandi.
Unlike most of the SF books I have read, my stories are all centered on my characters, which I try to make as realistic as I can. For instance, even though my current novel takes place 30 years from now when Artificial Intelligence is predicted to surpass human intelligence (resulting in something call a Technological Singularity), the story actually centers on a strained father-son relationship, which is partly based on my own conflicts with my now-deceased father. The story is also structured as a "Hero's Journey" as described by Joseph Campbell (and others). I spent almost a year outlining it in excessive detail before writing a single word, and then it took me another six years to complete (actually I would have completed it in about 3 years, but I had a daughter and now a son to fill up my free time :smileyhappy:. That is another reason why I will write a few short stories before undertaking the next novel.

Joe

Message Edited by Cup_of_Joe on 07-31-2007 07:41 AM
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

sigh, I am working now on 3 stories.

One of which is a remix to Harry potter,
the other about greek myths,
and the last about a Vampire.

The Harry potter one is on chapter 21,
the myth on chapter 3,
and the Vampire one isn't really a novel type.

I am also working on this diary called "Self Therapy"

as you can see my problem with all this is that I do too many things at once. I find it easy to focuz on one thing and then just switch to something else, but I really wanna get done the Harry Potter one for the sake of my readers. Since I'm on chapter 3 for the one about myths I don't have much readers to worry about just yet, and the Vampire one is more of a self topic.

The self therapy is online for anyone to read, if they know where to look. I naturally just do that to vent. Except my venting, writing in total, always comes out in the form of a story, so I keep with that.
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.