Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

What does the word "beautiful" mean to you?

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While one person paints their door red, the other paints it green. A woman may prefer a red rose, while another prefers white. So what compels us to call a person or object "beautiful"?

What does "beautiful" mean to you?

Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis
0 Kudos

Re: What does the word "beautiful" mean to you?

I think that some things are fairly universal as far as being considered beautiful.  For example, I don't know anybody that doesn't think a fiery sunset reflected of the ocean is beautiful.  But, there are many things that are much more subjective.

I think people have seemingly different opinions of beautiful for a few reasons.  Some of those reasons are cultural, whether its henna stained hands, tons of brass rings around the neck of women of the Kayan tribe, and Maori women are believed to be more beautiful if they have tattooed lips and chins.  I think a part of our individual perception of beauty is molded by the culture we grow up in.  But, I think the more important thing is something that is really hard to identify and/or quantify:  A reflection of our inner self, desires, and our values.

I love babies, and I have not seen a baby that I have not found beautiful.  Much of this comes from my belief that babies are pure and innocent.  My work requires me to deal with some VERY bad people, so I think that innocence and purity are beautiful things.  (leave it to a guy to take something as romantic as beauty and love, and turn it in to something so boring!!)

In my opinion, a person that is beautiful on the outside, but vicious and mean on the inside, is a very ugly person.  There are pope that put more importance on the outside beauty than on inner beauty.  Those those kinds of people, more often than not, are like that because they themselves have no inner beauty.  That is why, I believe, a person's view of beauty is a mirror of their inner selves.  

Sic volvere Parcas...
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Exactly what Zack said. A person could look good on the outside but act not nice inside to me that is also a ugly person. I try not to judge people by the way that they look but by how they act and are inside of them. Beautiful to me is compassion and knowledge. Ugly is hate and hurting. I don't think as beauty as someone that looks nice or cute but how much they care for people or things.

My thoughts are everywhere....tough question. :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Ditto. What flourishes on the outside may wither and rot away on the inside, basically.
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

beauty is mostly precived as physical beauty how u look on the outside, but people seem to frgt that  outside beauty eventually fades, and outer beauty indivituals have a knack for not being very nice people, and stuck up, and even horrible, that all of a sudden can make those people seem very ugly, i think beauty is from the inside if people only looked deeper, and wernt so quick to judge, someone who is gentle, who cries, when another is in pain even though they do not know them,  caring, and trustworthy, such a person is very rare and has a rare beauty unlike no other... that is beauty :smileyhappy:
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

EXACTLY! I was thinking about this earlier today when I was riding my bike around my neighborhood: A diamond in the raw is pretty enough on the outside, but it's when you cut and polish away at the exterior that you are stunned by the beauty on the inside. Maybe if people kept this in mind when they dated, relationships would be longer and more meaningful...none of these quick week-long flings some seem to go through!
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

For me, beautiful means something that is simple and pure. It doesn't have blemishes, it is perfect in its own.
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Contributor
t_acker
0 Kudos

"Beautiful" means to consistently carry a presence about oneself- be it physical, mental, emotional, etc., so that when others feel that presence, their lives are forever changed. Mindsets create imagery of what we think is beautiful, only for us to realize that what we see and feel, exceeds the definition of our own mindset.

Frequent Contributor
A.Tross

[ Edited ]
Beauty is the bloom that flourishes within, not the one that may wither or suceed on the outside. Beauty, in writing, is not the black and white words that the eyes see, but the striking colors the heart feels.
Message Edited by A.Tross on 07-07-2009 09:06 PM
*I am no poet.
Yet the words bite, scream, and scratch within me, until I release them from their imprisonment, forever stained in black and white.*
Yeah, I said it.
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

Just thought I would say- This is really deep and "beautiful" (haha) stuff you guys are writing! A regular non-writing teenage boy would be like, "it means hot. duhh."

seriously. not many guys say "You are a diamond. Beautiful and pure." You are lucky if you get, "Your ass looks hot in that skirt."

hahahaha just thought i would share.

Sincerely Yours,
Penn
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

lol so true
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

But seriously- it is. What ever happened to guys like William Shakespeare?
Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Do you mean poetic guys that don't say hot but call you pretty???
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

erm... no. william shakespeare was just like no other
Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Frequent Contributor
A.Tross
0 Kudos

Pennley_Love wrote:
erm... no. william shakespeare was just like no other

Yeah. That was the dude who was talking about how looks fade and personality is what matters, and how he didn't think he was looking as handsome... in his thirties. And don't forget the poem critizing other poets of that time!: "If snow is white, well, then, her shoulders are dun..." "I have never seen a goddess go..."

There will never be another guy quite like Willy.

*I am no poet.
Yet the words bite, scream, and scratch within me, until I release them from their imprisonment, forever stained in black and white.*
Yeah, I said it.
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

lol true true!
Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Contributor
DylanMeeks
0 Kudos

"Beautiful," for me, is not something I can describe. It's one of those things you know only when you see it, feel it, hear it, etc. To me, beauty is something that must be experienced, that must touch your heart in a way that makes your brain say, "That is beautiful."

Although everyone's definition of beauty differs, I believe the way people arrive at calling something beautiful is the same. It's how the song you hear, or the painting you see, or whatever touches you, and that nameless emotion is what beauty is.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Yah...I don't know what the heck happened to guys calling a girl "beautiful". I mean, like Penn said, you're lucky if you get the words "cute" or "pretty"...it's never "beautiful". Instead, it's "sexy" or "hot"...which are compliments on their own, but when you put it in a sentence like, "You look sexy in that bikini" or "Your boobs look hot in that halter top" it's just plain perverted.

Meh...what I would give for a simpler, more meaningful century xD

BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

ano that is so true !!!
Fantasy4eva
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Some guys aren't like that. From my experience, Guys that actualy love you will call you beautiful. I'm just trying to defend them...lol