Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

What's your genre?

A lot of us have posted a blurb or two about ourselves in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, some have been brave enough to post excerpt of their work for critique, and some have written a bit about themselves in their personal profile. Just to expand the "get to know you" process; what are your favorite genres to read? and what are your favorite genres to write? There are no wrong answers. Or, are you confused about what classifies a genre? Post it or reply to someone's question if you know.

To start off:
1) What are my favorite genres to read?: I read several but especially enjoy historical, fantasy, science fiction, biographies, children's/young adult (I have kids and like to keep abreast of what's out there), literary classics, adventure, and mainstream. I especially love it when someone crosses genres.
2) What are my favorite genres to write?: science fiction-fantasy cross-overs, historical, and I sometimes delve into the paranormal.

So here's a chance to re-introduce yourself on a more personal scale. You may find one or more others to talk shop with from it!
Frequent Contributor
Deliciouskiss2u
0 Kudos

Re: What's your genre?

[ Edited ]
Well I like variety when it comes to my books, and I like learning about new styles of writing.

1.  What are my favorite genres to read?: These are my favorites listed in order, historical romance, erotic romance (Cant go wrong there, okay I'm into anything that's romance) fantasy, science fiction, young adult (Harry Potter), literary classics, art history, military history (dad was in the navy what can i say).

2.  What are my favorite genres to write?: romance, science fiction-fantasy, and paranormal can be fun, and i like writing dark poetry.

Message Edited by Deliciouskiss2u on 04-16-2008 09:23 AM

Message Edited by Deliciouskiss2u on 04-16-2008 09:23 AM
TEAM EDWARD!!!!!"hell's not so bad if you get to keep an angel with you."- Edward Cullen

Alicia Maria
Frequent Contributor
Oceandweller777
0 Kudos

My favorite genres to read:    I grew up on horror and then fantasy.  I like more maintstream novels as of now. Some historical novels get to me, but most are a miss.  The classics are classic and I've put myself in the frame of mind that they must be read, some are more difficult to get through and a let down when I get through them.

Favorite to write: I like writing modern novels.  Mainstream is always good, but I delve into fantasy when the mood hits.  Its how I think a lot of times, young at heart and all.  I used to be a poet, but they were dark times in my life and I had a vocabulary back then.  I'm starting in with a romance-esque angle now to fill out the missing sections of my writing. 

Overall I like different styles.  To echo Delicious, variety is what I look to maintain. 

~Phill

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

What genre do I read?  Science fiction/Fantasy/horror
   What genre do I write? Science Fiction/fantasy/horror
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
criphno
0 Kudos

I like to read fantasy mixed with science fiction.

I like to write fantasy mixed with science fiction. I write about conspiraacies mostly. Or at least those are the stories I write about now.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:
A lot of us have posted a blurb or two about ourselves in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, some have been brave enough to post excerpt of their work for critique, and some have written a bit about themselves in their personal profile. Just to expand the "get to know you" process; what are your favorite genres to read? and what are your favorite genres to write? There are no wrong answers. Or, are you confused about what classifies a genre? Post it or reply to someone's question if you know.

To start off:
1) What are my favorite genres to read?: I read several but especially enjoy historical, fantasy, science fiction, biographies, children's/young adult (I have kids and like to keep abreast of what's out there), literary classics, adventure, and mainstream. I especially love it when someone crosses genres.
2) What are my favorite genres to write?: science fiction-fantasy cross-overs, historical, and I sometimes delve into the paranormal.

So here's a chance to re-introduce yourself on a more personal scale. You may find one or more others to talk shop with from it!

I really like to read the classics, great works of literature, and philosophy (they are the only genres I'm reading right now). That's all I really care to read right now. I think that since they have stood the test of time and are still being enjoyed that they are of a much higher quality and should be read.

Honestly, for my own writing I write. I don't write horror, sci-fi, etc. etc. I just write. I don't put a certain stamp on my writing, although I do write some mysteries often, I simply call my writing fiction. I also don't say that this story is a children's, teen, adult, etc. etc. I just write things. Now some kids might not like it or understand it, but I don't give my writing a certain audience or genre. My writing is just stories and novels that are fiction and aren't intended for a certain audience. They are intended for all who want to read them! And in some I have deeper meanings and things I'm trying to say in them, as well! That was a head's up for all who might read some of my recent stories that I may post.

Nice thread Clipper, I like this a bit more than the older thread "introduce yourselves".

It's nice to be back with all at the writing room. It's been a while.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I love reading the classics, magical realism, romance (to a certain extent...  I don't like books crammed to the max with eroticism...), poetry, philosophy, etc.  I don't really take a great interest in science fiction or horror.  Fantasy works occasionally, but Harry Potter tends to be the extent of that for me. 
In terms of my own writing, I usually write either poetry or just straight fiction.  I tend to incorporate a lot of the feel of poetry into my prose writing, with a lot of metaphorical descriptions and the like.  I'm working on my first full-length novel at the moment...  It's a bit difficult to find the time to write, but I do it whenever I can.  :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Contributor
politicalmatt
0 Kudos

I enjoy current affairs and southern literature.
Contributor
Sophia23
0 Kudos

Ok, my favorite genres to read are non-fiction: philosophy, poetry, feminist theory, african-american history/social theory, and books on comparative religion.  Although prior to attending college, I was a huge Anne Rice fan.  To be honest I still am, but have turned my attention away from fiction.    I find it a little less intellectually stimulating and more stimulating to the imagination, which isn't a bad thing, but I am leaning more towards realism in my adulthood.  I also enjoy reading books about writing.

One of my genres of choice in writing is definitely poetry.  It has been since I was a kid elementary school.  My second choice, which I was introduced to while in college, would be the personal essay. 
Frequent Contributor
HPlover7
0 Kudos

i like to both read an write fantacy, romance and a little horror every once in a while....
Contributor
Brianne227
0 Kudos

Whats My facorite genre to read?: I like all different kinds of books. If theres a book infront of me I'll more then likely read it. But as for when I go out and buy books, I get things along the lines of YA Fiction, and John Grisham. I like some Sci-fi but nothing too hard core. As for Classic Lit, I like some of Nathaniel Hawthorne's stuff, and Shakesphere.

What do I write?: I like to write Fiction mostly geared towards YA. I write some Sci-fi, but like I said nothing too hard core. I gess my stories usually have some form of love conflict in it. Okay...all of my stories. But Yeah, thats about It.
This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,
May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616),
Contributor
pamelakkinney
0 Kudos

1) What are my favorite genres to read? Same what I write. Plus some mysteries and other kinds of nonfiction. Actually whatever interest me. :smileyvery-happy:
2) What are my favorite genres to write? Horror, science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, nonfiction ghost books and mythology and folklore. Also erotic and sweet paranormal, fantasy and SF romance.
Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's imagination of fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus true ghost stories in Haunted Richmond, Virginia.

Sapphire Phelan
www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

YES!!!!  I'm not the only one here who writes otherworldly tales!!!!!
   I love your pen name, too!!!

pamelakkinney wrote:
1) What are my favorite genres to read? Same what I write. Plus some mysteries and other kinds of nonfiction. Actually whatever interest me. :smileyvery-happy:
2) What are my favorite genres to write? Horror, science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, nonfiction ghost books and mythology and folklore. Also erotic and sweet paranormal, fantasy and SF romance.
Pamela K. Kinney
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's imagination of fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus true ghost stories in Haunted Richmond, Virginia.

Sapphire Phelan
www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Wow, it's neat to see the diversity! For those of you who listed science fiction as one of your pet genres, dianaprince has started a great thread just for that subject. Join in! We should start threads dedicated to each genre so people who are writing that type of material can share resources and opinions. I like to think of us as a great big group of writers who are rooting for each other and want to help each other grow. Greatdreams has another thread going which looks like it is evolving into a writing inspiration and style thread, posting resources and workbooks as well as competition announcements and such. Check it out. And for those who haven't popped over into the Getting Published Room, you might want to. There's some great information there on the publishing process. And if you haven't posted on this thread yet, by all means continue to do so! Connection with others is great.
Frequent Contributor
hiddenwriter
0 Kudos

The genre I mostly read is fantasy, science-fiction, and horror. I like books that express a different world or make you sit on the edge of your seat in fear. I love books with action, but at the same time, show the characters grow and change.

I write the same genres that I read. I like to create worlds and creatures to inhabit them, whether it be vampires, werewolves, or dragons.
I took a shot at happiness but it ricocheted instead,
now the bullet's bouncing back at me and aiming for my head.