Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

What are you thinking about this week when it comes to your writing? Are you grappling with a particular writerly concern? Struggling with a scene that just won’t come out right? Thinking about a book that showcases the kind of writing you want to craft? Frustrated because you can’t come up with an idea that really captivates you? Overjoyed because you finally stumbled on that perfect last line to your most recent poem?

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

Well right now I am still writing my book New Era and I am having a writers block =P I am at a part where she is sleeping and don't know what to make her dream about. Grrrrr!!!! =P

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

Well right now I am still writing my book New Era and I am having a writers block =P I am at a part where she is sleeping and don't know what to make her dream about. Grrrrr!!!! =P

Oh, a tough spot! Sometimes I like to get my mind out of a slump by thinking in the opposite direction. So, what would she not dream about? Or, taking a different route: What does she wish she could dream about? I know it seems counter productive, but brainstorming a list might help you stumble upon something or open up your thinking in a different direction.

Good luck!

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

What's most on my mind is utter frustration.

In what I should be working on, I got past the point where the Count killed the three royal favorites who hoped to make their ambush look like a gentlemanly duel, and he's met the mysterious lady who is on nobody's side but her own; the Cardinal is rousing the populace against the heretical Amenders; the Duke has fooled the Amenders into making him their leader (he's going to order them to riot against the church, which will lead to a bloodbath, which he needs as a distraction in order to get close enough to the King to plant a dagger in the royal back); and last but not least, the Wizard's Council is playing make-nice with everyone while trying to hamstring the church, the Amenders, and the King.

And I just can't go on because it all seems so banal, trite, and shallow, and I know that even if I did finish it, there's no market for that kind of story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

LexieVamp wrote:

Oh, a tough spot! Sometimes I like to get my mind out of a slump by thinking in the opposite direction. So, what would she not dream about? Or, taking a different route: What does she wish she could dream about? I know it seems counter productive, but brainstorming a list might help you stumble upon something or open up your thinking in a different direction.

Good luck!

Thanx =) I'll try that lol hmm maybe I will get something.

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

In the book that I am writing i have trouble writing one characters point of view. My book has three main characters and they are two brothers and a sister. The main character is Caelin and i love writing as him, the other is Noah and i love his dark attitude and hate, However, the third character is Adara and she doesn't come easily to me.

I started three chapters in her point of view and i can't seem to finish them. I love her character and the problems that she has to face but i can't seem to write it down on the paper. I don't know if it has something to do with the pure image that i gave her or if i think she isn't exciting enough. Sometimes i just wish that what is happening in my mind could magically be projected onto the computer screen.

Contributor
Felidae_Evol
0 Kudos

Currently I have been writing a lot of poetry so I plan to upload those unto the computer from my notebooks. I have also been juggling around a story idea but I think it needs to be put off for some other time. :smileyhappy:

"My life is essentially a series of embarrassing incidents strung together by telling people about those embarrassing incidents." - Russell Brand
Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

A problem that I am having right now is time.  I'm finding it impossible to write anything because I never have time anymore.  I write in a rush; it's the only way I can do it.  Between school and work and then being tired after I get home from school or work, I'm having trouble getting anything done.  I need at least three hours straight writing to make any progress.  Maybe today I'll get something done.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote:

What's most on my mind is utter frustration.

In what I should be working on, I got past the point where the Count killed the three royal favorites who hoped to make their ambush look like a gentlemanly duel, and he's met the mysterious lady who is on nobody's side but her own; the Cardinal is rousing the populace against the heretical Amenders; the Duke has fooled the Amenders into making him their leader (he's going to order them to riot against the church, which will lead to a bloodbath, which he needs as a distraction in order to get close enough to the King to plant a dagger in the royal back); and last but not least, the Wizard's Council is playing make-nice with everyone while trying to hamstring the church, the Amenders, and the King.

And I just can't go on because it all seems so banal, trite, and shallow, and I know that even if I did finish it, there's no market for that kind of story.

Egads! That doesn’t seem banal. I can certainly relate to your frustration on this. Perhaps you've spent too much time with it recently?I know I start to tire of my own work and see it through that lens, which is a good time to take a break from it. If I return and feel the same way, maybe those feelings were valid. If not, perhaps it was just an outcropping of the intense time spent with it. Lovely summary of the work, by the way. You deliver it so smoothly.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

Did you give it a go, LexieVamp? If so, did anything interesting come of it?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

redheart52 wrote:

In the book that I am writing i have trouble writing one characters point of view. My book has three main characters and they are two brothers and a sister. The main character is Caelin and i love writing as him, the other is Noah and i love his dark attitude and hate, However, the third character is Adara and she doesn't come easily to me.

I started three chapters in her point of view and i can't seem to finish them. I love her character and the problems that she has to face but i can't seem to write it down on the paper. I don't know if it has something to do with the pure image that i gave her or if i think she isn't exciting enough. Sometimes i just wish that what is happening in my mind could magically be projected onto the computer screen.

Oh, that’s tough, particularly when the other perspectives are coming to you so easily. I remember reading an interview with Andre Dubus III, who wrote House of Sand and Fog, which also has multiple perspectives. In the interview, he talked about the importance of being on the side of the character whose perspective he was writing from during any given scene. He couldn’t judge that character in any way. If you’re not already feeling that kind of character love, I could see where it would be hard to summon it. Maybe it would help if you found something in that character that you identify with? It might not be anything significant, but a little something might be all you need. Or, maybe this is an indication that her character could use a bit more dimensionality. If you don’t find her exciting, readers are bound to have the same reaction. I’m just throwing out a few ideas that might be useful—or not.

I’m curious how other people handle this kind of situation. Has anyone else had a character they really struggled with when writing from his/her perspective? What did you do?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Felidae_Evol wrote:

Currently I have been writing a lot of poetry so I plan to upload those unto the computer from my notebooks. I have also been juggling around a story idea but I think it needs to be put off for some other time. :smileyhappy:

I love that transition from notebook to computer. I often find it’s one of my most interesting revisions. Good luck with that. What’s prompting you to put off the story a little longer? Are you letting it continue to stew in the imagination? Don’t have the time for it yet?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Kat-NE wrote:

A problem that I am having right now is time.  I'm finding it impossible to write anything because I never have time anymore.  I write in a rush; it's the only way I can do it.  Between school and work and then being tired after I get home from school or work, I'm having trouble getting anything done.  I need at least three hours straight writing to make any progress.  Maybe today I'll get something done.

Good for you for keeping with it, even though you have so little time. So many writers struggle with this issue. Perhaps it would help if you think of larger projects as a series of smaller projects. It’s really just a change in thinking about the process, but that might make those little bursts of writing time feel more productive and satisfying. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Have you managed to find any time yet this week? I hope so!

Correspondent
Book_Girl14
0 Kudos

I am currently writing this story that I have not yet titled. This may sound silly but I had a dream this scary but awesome dream that I just had to write down. The problem is, I am having a little trouble getting the book moving along to the scene I dreamt. Which would be more in the late middle of the story. I get stuck in detail. Is there any way that I can just keep focused to my scene?

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

The thing is my character has many things in common with me but i think i love my other character more and find his part of the story more important than hers... in a way. Hmm... i could find it difficult because she is more complex than the boys and i didn't reveal much about her early on in my book... i might try to go back to a chapter where she first appears and add more background to that chapter.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

LexieVamp wrote:

Did you give it a go, LexieVamp? If so, did anything interesting come of it?

Yeah I did. It was like she was dreaming, but in the dream she saw pictures of her past and pictures of her future all in-rolled in on little dream. It's really interesting and I will be posting it tomorrow if anyone wants to read it =). Right now I have already posted 6 pages of chapter 1 and it will stop at page 15 and then people will know the whole first chapter. So yeah I still have some little ways to go, but it will be good lol hopefully =P

Inspired Correspondent
Flowering
0 Kudos

Hi! I just thought of a story I would really love to write. However, one character who is a key coponent to the plot isnt coming out right. I'll think of  way to make her, but I just feel that that wouldnt be a right way for her to act. Like it isnt how I imagined it I suppose.

Its hard to make her. How do you develop a character?

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was struggling a few days ago because I wanted to write about so many things. I finally decided on a subject yesterday, and am sticking with it! :smileywink:

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Book_Girl14 wrote:

I am currently writing this story that I have not yet titled. This may sound silly but I had a dream this scary but awesome dream that I just had to write down. The problem is, I am having a little trouble getting the book moving along to the scene I dreamt. Which would be more in the late middle of the story. I get stuck in detail. Is there any way that I can just keep focused to my scene?

Writers don't always write in order, so you could certainly focus on writing that scene and then move to other parts of the book later. Or, if appropriate, you might write that scene as a short story. Does it have the kind of shape that it would work well as a short story on its own?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

redheart52 wrote:

The thing is my character has many things in common with me but i think i love my other character more and find his part of the story more important than hers... in a way. Hmm... i could find it difficult because she is more complex than the boys and i didn't reveal much about her early on in my book... i might try to go back to a chapter where she first appears and add more background to that chapter.

That's a good idea. Fleshing out her character could help. You mention that her story isn't as important as the other character's story. If she's a major character, it might help to work with her story and make it more important. In other words, if you're getting into her perspective, there has to be something compelling that makes it necessary to include her perspective. Maybe her reaction to her is a writerly instinct telling you that her storyline needs more oomph.