Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

KathyS wrote:

my doctor, today, banned me from my computer... wrist tendons need a rest.  no typing..no clay..no use of my hands..period. wearing braces sucks...until this clears up...just when I was finally ....never mind...see you in a week or so. 

K

that's too bad Kathy, I use a voice typing program.  I was just thinking if that might help your situation.  There's a quite of few of them on the market. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Darkkin
0 Kudos

New playlist...fluid and dark.  Over and around me the music flows.  Wing membranes stretch thin and tight, catching every last breath of air.  A massive heart pounds, blood frozen by the arctic heights warms.  Clouds of vapor roll against a glassy smooth hide.  Indigo and azure flash against the inky backdrop of the night sky...She soars free of the world that would see her bound and broken.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Contributor
GioPago
0 Kudos

Right now I want to write, but my attention span is short of late; guess I'm having trouble concentration.... Or motivation.... hahaha to make up for the guilt I feel for not writing, I've been editing my other stuff... you know you can never proofread enough... Typos just have a way of hiding no matter how many times you read... but no worries, I do know from experience this too shall pass...  :smileyhappy:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

A music box and a mob...Hmm...Let's see where this this plotline is going.

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

GioPago wrote:

Right now I want to write, but my attention span is short of late; guess I'm having trouble concentration.... Or motivation.... hahaha to make up for the guilt I feel for not writing, I've been editing my other stuff... you know you can never proofread enough... Typos just have a way of hiding no matter how many times you read... but no worries, I do know from experience this too shall pass...  :smileyhappy:

Try some music to help keep your mind focused.  Also when proofreading read outloud, you can usually hear an error easier then seeing it. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Brandi_R

[ Edited ]

GioPago wrote:

Revision and editing are important work!

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I love archaic British terms.  :smileytongue:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Anger, like a dark tide rises.  There are times when even my morbid humor and imagination can fail.  Now is one of those times. My chest pain has been more severe than normal, so I went in. After an Ango and an Echo, I have added two more stints to my collection bringing the total to four; the first two having been acquired after an infarction early last year. 

Not even out of my twenties and under 130 pounds, my cholesterol came back at 834, the highest it has ever been.  My cardiologist knows I come from a family of zebras, but I have been labeled a freaking unicorn...A dominant genetic mutation.  I watch what I eat and exercise regularly, but even on medication, my cholesterol numbers come back in the danger zone, around 493.  Bypass is a distinct possibility within the next few years if things don't change.

When people here the word atherosclerosis, they think of people over the age of fifty, who have been lax about maintaining their health.  Well, think again, it effects people across the spectrum; it is unbiased about age, race, creed, or bubble gum flavor.  I have it, a severe case, as my stints can attest to.  Don't ignore this silent killer, knowledge is power, even if it hurts.

There are many trade offs in life and I happen to have one.  A mind like no other, for a chest that aches and a soul that is currently raw and bleeding.  Sorry for venting, but bottling things up doesn't help ease the pain, it only makes it more acute.

KathyS
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

my doctor, today, banned me from my computer... wrist tendons need a rest.  no typing..no clay..no use of my hands..period. wearing braces sucks...until this clears up...just when I was finally ....never mind...see you in a week or so. 

K

that's too bad Kathy, I use a voice typing program.  I was just thinking if that might help your situation.  There's a quite of few of them on the market. 

Thank you for your concern.  It's been over four months now since my lament, and my hands/wrists are much, much better.  It just took rest and time to heal the tendons.  I don't think I could use a voice activated program, I've tried tape recorders, and I get tongue tied!  My thoughts have to go through my fingers.  I lose my train of thought when I hear my own voice!

Lately, my lament has been a virus on my PC.  Had it fixed last week, and took it back to the shop this morning.  Right now I'm using a friend's lap top, which I dislike, but at least I can come to the boards. I also decided to buy a new PC, this morning.  I've never actually bought a brand new one, before!  Time for an upgrade!  And more changes to adjust to!  Transferring all my programs and stuff, ugh! 

Darkkin

It is a major pain to lose a computer.  I feel your pain.  Don't know what I would do without mine.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

A much happier soul...Now my imagination is soaring high once more...:smileyvery-happy:   Dip, sway, roll and roar...

Contributor
axis321
0 Kudos

I finished my novel THE SECRET and I'm thinking about publishing it.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

When I get bad news or a monkey wrench tossed into my soul, I write...and keep writing until I remember how to fly, hence my epic postings yesterday.  Sorry.  :smileytongue:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

...136,310...and climbing...

Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

I have a question for all of those in the online b&n world. What would you think if a book ended with the two main characters, years after being married , dying together in the middle of the woods with their closest relatives at the end of (at least) the Country? After they wanted for so long to die? Yeah.. the second q is odd, but still.. please REPLY!!
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Darkkin.  I'm looking for the know-it-alls anonymous meeting...:smileywink: 

My nitro is working for the first time in weeks, so my sense of the ridiculous is running amok.  This has been a random Darkkin Dork Moment, thank you for your attention.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

Hello, I'm Darkkin.  I'm looking for the know-it-alls anonymous meeting...:smileywink: 

My nitro is working for the first time in weeks, so my sense of the ridiculous is running amok.  This has been a random Darkkin Dork Moment, thank you for your attention.

There's a know-it-alls anonymous meeting?  Why am I always the last to know?!!

Darkkin
0 Kudos

800 posts...Well, make that 801 with this one...Who knew I had so much redundant information to blather about...:smileyvery-happy:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

I have a very contented mind right now...This doesn't happen all that often...(click take a picture...)

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

. . . There are many trade offs in life and I happen to have one.  A mind like no other, for a chest that aches and a soul that is currently raw and bleeding.  Sorry for venting, but bottling things up doesn't help ease the pain, it only makes it more acute.

My goodness, Darkkin, this sounds like quite a trial. You're right, there are many trade offs and I'm glad you're using your "mind like no other" to create such rich imaginative worlds. Your later posts make it sound like you're feeling productive and positive. I'm so glad. And I'm so glad you're a part of our community.

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com