Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

LexieVamp wrote:

Yeah I did. It was like she was dreaming, but in the dream she saw pictures of her past and pictures of her future all in-rolled in on little dream. It's really interesting and I will be posting it tomorrow if anyone wants to read it =). Right now I have already posted 6 pages of chapter 1 and it will stop at page 15 and then people will know the whole first chapter. So yeah I still have some little ways to go, but it will be good lol hopefully =P

That does sound interesting. Sometimes thinking the opposite doesn't produce an end result, but gets the writer out of the rut of thinking in the same direction. Sometimes it does produce an end result that stays in the story. Do you think you'll keep it?

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Flowering wrote:

Hi! I just thought of a story I would really love to write. However, one character who is a key coponent to the plot isnt coming out right. I'll think of  way to make her, but I just feel that that wouldnt be a right way for her to act. Like it isnt how I imagined it I suppose.

Its hard to make her. How do you develop a character?

Flowering, check out these past threads, where we discussed developing character. That's a good place to start with a character like this. Let us know how it goes.

Developing Character

Our Own Character Questionnaire

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LindaEducation wrote:

I was struggling a few days ago because I wanted to write about so many things. I finally decided on a subject yesterday, and am sticking with it! :smileywink:

That's great! Will you share details? I'd enjoy hearing more about the one you chose.

Correspondent
Book_Girl14
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

Book_Girl14 wrote:

I am currently writing this story that I have not yet titled. This may sound silly but I had a dream this scary but awesome dream that I just had to write down. The problem is, I am having a little trouble getting the book moving along to the scene I dreamt. Which would be more in the late middle of the story. I get stuck in detail. Is there any way that I can just keep focused to my scene?

Writers don't always write in order, so you could certainly focus on writing that scene and then move to other parts of the book later. Or, if appropriate, you might write that scene as a short story. Does it have the kind of shape that it would work well as a short story on its own?

I never thought of writing it as a short story, but now that you mention it it may be really good as one. I think I am going to try it!:smileyhappy: Thank you so much!!

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Book_Girl14 wrote:

I never thought of writing it as a short story, but now that you mention it it may be really good as one. I think I am going to try it!:smileyhappy: Thank you so much!!

I look forward to hearing about (or seeing) how it turns out!

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

LexieVamp wrote:

Yeah I did. It was like she was dreaming, but in the dream she saw pictures of her past and pictures of her future all in-rolled in on little dream. It's really interesting and I will be posting it tomorrow if anyone wants to read it =). Right now I have already posted 6 pages of chapter 1 and it will stop at page 15 and then people will know the whole first chapter. So yeah I still have some little ways to go, but it will be good lol hopefully =P

That does sound interesting. Sometimes thinking the opposite doesn't produce an end result, but gets the writer out of the rut of thinking in the same direction. Sometimes it does produce an end result that stays in the story. Do you think you'll keep it?

Yes I will be keeping it. You can check out my story at http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Writing-Room/New-Era/td-p/494962/page/2 I have a whole story there and it's very interesting I have heard from some people. I have already made 12 pages and will stop at 15 pages to end Chapter 1. I think I will go all the way to half of chapter 2 and then the rest will be a secret until it's publish around next year if I am lucky haha xD.

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Flowering
0 Kudos

OKay I think I got the character more developed now. I was more confused as to where she was in the story, but I got her down now. THank you for your help!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Something that's been on my mind for a while...

I wrote a poem a few years ago but the first few lines were so interesting to me that since then I've written three or four poems all different but with the same starting lines. Anyone else do this?

Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

I wrote a poem a few years ago but the first few lines were so interesting to me that since then I've written three or four poems all different but with the same starting lines. Anyone else do this?

Kayla

I’ve certainly found myself returning to similar sentiments or details in my writing.  Interesting that you keep returning to the very same lines. Are you looking for just the right middle and ending to go with those powerful openings? Or do you feel all the poems hold their own—they just have the same first lines? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Kayla

I’ve certainly found myself returning to similar sentiments or details in my writing.  Interesting that you keep returning to the very same lines. Are you looking for just the right middle and ending to go with those powerful openings? Or do you feel all the poems hold their own—they just have the same first lines? 

It's very odd actually, Each poem is very different with different meanings attached to them. As I write the poem and complete it I'm satisfied with it, but later I'll come across those lines and find a new meaning to them that aren't satisfied by previous poems. Maybe I should just give up on the lines?

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Brandi_R

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

It's very odd actually, Each poem is very different with different meanings attached to them. As I write the poem and complete it I'm satisfied with it, but later I'll come across those lines and find a new meaning to them that aren't satisfied by previous poems. Maybe I should just give up on the lines?

No way! If you're pulled to them, then stay with them and see what happens. You never know where they might lead you.

"I'm the troll, the ogre, the giant, the thing / in the stories that rocks you to sleep, / that fuels your imaginations, / that lights up your tiniest dreams." ~ "Mr. Grim's Fairy Tales" in For a Limited Time Only  by Ronald Wallace

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

I have a huge problem. At my school my english teacher gave us a project to do about a week ago. The project was to write a short story about anything we want. Well, I wrote mine for ages 14+ and well it's a little scary like most of the books I read, but the problem is that we were going to send these to a poor childern center and I don't think they want to read about ghosts and murders. Now I need to fix it by Monday, but have no idea what to do. Help?!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Some kids like scary stories. I know when I was little especially in elementary school, I'd go to the public library and read ghost stories meant for 14+. It's to say what to do because if it's a really good story than you don't want to have to edit the important stuff but at the same time it is for a grade.... What if you showed it to the teacher? If they approve of it then it's all gravy but if not maybe you could ask an extension to rewrite or write a new story?

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Thanks Brandi I think I will! Who knows maybe the right poem is stuck in my conciousness and the only to free it is by writing a million other poems :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Some kids like scary stories. I know when I was little especially in elementary school, I'd go to the public library and read ghost stories meant for 14+. It's to say what to do because if it's a really good story than you don't want to have to edit the important stuff but at the same time it is for a grade.... What if you showed it to the teacher? If they approve of it then it's all gravy but if not maybe you could ask an extension to rewrite or write a new story?

Okay =) Thanx so much! I'll try to do that =)

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

I have a huge problem. At my school my english teacher gave us a project to do about a week ago. The project was to write a short story about anything we want. Well, I wrote mine for ages 14+ and well it's a little scary like most of the books I read, but the problem is that we were going to send these to a poor childern center and I don't think they want to read about ghosts and murders. Now I need to fix it by Monday, but have no idea what to do. Help?!

I think crzynwrd4lf is on to something. Is the scary short story geared toward kids? If so, the kids who are getting the story might enjoy it. Your teacher may be able to help you figure out if it's age appropriate. Perhaps you can make sure the title suggests the subject matter. That way the kids who want to avoid scary stories know not to read it and those that enjoy scary stories know they should read it.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

My teacher told me I could fix some things in my book and that she would help me =D So thanx so so much guys for your help. Hopefully these kids will like the new book lol

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

My teacher told me I could fix some things in my book and that she would help me =D So thanx so so much guys for your help. Hopefully these kids will like the new book lol

That great! Let us know how it goes.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Very cool Lexievamp! I hope your story turns out wonderfully!

Kayla

Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula
0 Kudos

I'm always thinking about all of my novels all the time. Right now I'm focusing on a viking project but I'm still trying to learn more about the gods so I can understand the culture more. I'm also deciding on how far to go with the rating as well as deciding whether to make the female protagonist Russian with her own set of Slavic gods or Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian with the Norse gods.

"Alles brennt, wenn die Flamme nur heiss genug ist. Die Welt ist nichts als ein Schmelztiegel."