Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

LexieVamp wrote:

I have a huge problem. At my school my english teacher gave us a project to do about a week ago. The project was to write a short story about anything we want. Well, I wrote mine for ages 14+ and well it's a little scary like most of the books I read, but the problem is that we were going to send these to a poor childern center and I don't think they want to read about ghosts and murders. Now I need to fix it by Monday, but have no idea what to do. Help?!

Try going for a classic fairytale or retelling a story of mythology with a flair for children. I often write very dark and effed up things so it is a struggle but just think of a small child with cancer reading it and perhaps that should help.

"Alles brennt, wenn die Flamme nur heiss genug ist. Die Welt ist nichts als ein Schmelztiegel."
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

AnetteTepesDracula wrote:

I'm always thinking about all of my novels all the time. Right now I'm focusing on a viking project but I'm still trying to learn more about the gods so I can understand the culture more. I'm also deciding on how far to go with the rating as well as deciding whether to make the female protagonist Russian with her own set of Slavic gods or Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian with the Norse gods.

Sounds like a lot is on your mind! The project your focusing on now looks interesting. How many novels are you working on at once?

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

I have a little problem =P See I am trying to right a novel right now and for some reason I keep on forgetting to write more about it. Does anyone know how I am focus on my book so I can finish it. Oh and also Brandi_R, remember how I asked for help about my book to pass in to my teacher, well she helped me fix it and we gave it to the children. They said they loved so much that they might published it. =D

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

I'm always thinking about all of my novels all the time. Right now I'm focusing on a viking project but I'm still trying to learn more about the gods so I can understand the culture more. I'm also deciding on how far to go with the rating as well as deciding whether to make the female protagonist Russian with her own set of Slavic gods or Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian with the Norse gods.

Sounds like a lot is on your mind! The project your focusing on now looks interesting. How many novels are you working on at once?

To cut to the chase I lost count.

"Alles brennt, wenn die Flamme nur heiss genug ist. Die Welt ist nichts als ein Schmelztiegel."
Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula

LexieVamp wrote:

I have a little problem =P See I am trying to right a novel right now and for some reason I keep on forgetting to write more about it. Does anyone know how I am focus on my book so I can finish it. Oh and also Brandi_R, remember how I asked for help about my book to pass in to my teacher, well she helped me fix it and we gave it to the children. They said they loved so much that they might published it. =D

Perhaps carry around a notebook with some basic frame work of the novel around with you so whenever you see that notebook, you remember to write.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

Perhaps carry around a notebook with some basic frame work of the novel around with you so whenever you see that notebook, you remember to write.

That might actually work lol Thanx =) I'll try it xD

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

The notebook idea from AnetteTepesDracula is a good one! Also, LexieVamp, you might set up appointments with yourself to write. Some writers set up an appointment at the same time very day or week. Just make sure to keep those appointments. If you know it's part of the routine, you'll do it.
So glad to hear the children loved your story. I'm glad that worked out so well. Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

To cut to the chase I lost count.

Goodness! Lots of irons in the fire.

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

what on my mind right now?? well, i've been thinking how boring my summer is turning out to be. :smileyindifferent:

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Echo-Sage
0 Kudos

I'm writing this new book called Stuck In Neutral, and I have great ideas, and characters and everything. But something that has always been hard for me is making good, interesting dialogue. Does anybody know what I mean? Sometimes you just don't know what to say, or you have a difficult time creating longer conversations. And I don't know how to fix it! Ahhh!

"Believe me, saving the planet wasn’t on the top of my to-do list."
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

what on my mind right now?? well, i've been thinking how boring my summer is turning out to be. :smileyindifferent:

Oh no! Can you spice it up with some writing and literature? Libraries often have fun reading programs in the summer. Perhpas you could meet with a friend or a group once a week to write in different and unexpected places.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Echo-Sage wrote:

I'm writing this new book called Stuck In Neutral, and I have great ideas, and characters and everything. But something that has always been hard for me is making good, interesting dialogue. Does anybody know what I mean? Sometimes you just don't know what to say, or you have a difficult time creating longer conversations. And I don't know how to fix it! Ahhh!

In a first draft, I find it helpful to just write out an exchange. I don't worry about whether it's interesting or if I'm letting my characters just run off at the mouth. Once I have the scene written, I can assess and see what's the heart of their conversation. Once I know that, I can pare out everything else. I find that this approach helps me discover that heart. I might also add more back in at that point, too, taking the conversation in a different direction than it's original route.

Also, listen to conversations around you in your regular life, too. That kind of observation can be a great way to pick up on tendencies in spoken language.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

redheart52 wrote:

In the book that I am writing i have trouble writing one characters point of view. My book has three main characters and they are two brothers and a sister. The main character is Caelin and i love writing as him, the other is Noah and i love his dark attitude and hate, However, the third character is Adara and she doesn't come easily to me.

I started three chapters in her point of view and i can't seem to finish them. I love her character and the problems that she has to face but i can't seem to write it down on the paper. I don't know if it has something to do with the pure image that i gave her or if i think she isn't exciting enough. Sometimes i just wish that what is happening in my mind could magically be projected onto the computer screen.

maybe you have cracked it by now, but if not have you considered the place where you are writing, maybe you should find a place to write her parts that helps you find her 'place', and is different from where you write the male parts.

But I wasn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Echo-Sage wrote:

well, where does it say you need to have dialogue - i've written short stories with no dialogue whatsoever, or just explaining that the character has said something on a particular sublect, or made a ceratin point.

could be difficult, but don't be put off by feeling obliged to have 'x' amount of dialogue.

But I wasn

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

for those who haven't been following my ' help my american' thread, my writing place is so good right now.

it has taken a few years to get to this place, but now i have a routine and i'm working on something that is so much fun and so challenging.

i'm writing about 1200-1500 words a day and typing it up the following day.

i've never been so excited by writing - so, it can happen.

to anyone struggling: hang in there :smileyhappy:

But I wasn

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Am I crazy for flinging myself into the greater world, not knowing if I will fly or crash?  My red pen has returned and I have begun the slaughter of The Traveller.  Line by line and word by word, it goes on.  At more than a 150,000 words and over 300 pages, it will take a bit of doing to get to the end, but I know it will be worth it. 

This is a huge step I've taken and I need to see it through.  Two stints in my major arteries have put a bit of cramp in my usually activities, so it is with yoga ball and laptop I forge ahead.  I've learned how to bend my frustration to my advantage, forcing it into a restless energy in need of an outlet, and my writing is that outlet.  Once again the light and shadow of my world comes into play.  This is something I know I can and need to do.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

WilliamWright wrote:

for those who haven't been following my ' help my american' thread, my writing place is so good right now.

it has taken a few years to get to this place, but now i have a routine and i'm working on something that is so much fun and so challenging.

i'm writing about 1200-1500 words a day and typing it up the following day.

i've never been so excited by writing - so, it can happen.

to anyone struggling: hang in there :smileyhappy:

What a thrilling experience. I'm so happy for you!

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

Am I crazy for flinging myself into the greater world, not knowing if I will fly or crash?  My red pen has returned and I have begun the slaughter of The Traveller.  Line by line and word by word, it goes on.  At more than a 150,000 words and over 300 pages, it will take a bit of doing to get to the end, but I know it will be worth it. 

This is a huge step I've taken and I need to see it through.  Two stints in my major arteries have put a bit of cramp in my usually activities, so it is with yoga ball and laptop I forge ahead.  I've learned how to bend my frustration to my advantage, forcing it into a restless energy in need of an outlet, and my writing is that outlet.  Once again the light and shadow of my world comes into play.  This is something I know I can and need to do.

Take the leap. Your own last line makes it clear that you must. Onward!

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

I had a real moment today - I sort of hit a turning point in my current novel project.  Firstly, I hit exactly 34,000 words and felt quite satisfied, as this is about half way through the length of my first two novels.

Secondly, I reached a section that I always knew was going to be really difficult, as it is the axis of the entire story, a party scene, also it would feature a lot of the characters coming together for the first time - so, i was rather intimidated.

As such, I decided to make a much more thorough plan and it turned out that (having completed 8 chapters so far) there would need to be 3 chapters leading up to the party, 4 chapters during the party and 1 chapter after it - so therefore almost the same amount as I have already completed :smileysurprised:

Naturally this seemed quite daunting and when I completed a rough plan for the rest of the book, it turns out I have about 70,000 words to go - effectively I have gone from thinking I was half way through it, to going right back to the start.

Scary.

But I did decide on a great ending :smileyhappy:

But I wasn

Contributor
Dreamer_Gal
0 Kudos

Yesterday and today I had some much needed quiet time and have been writing poetry about a particular moment in my past which I wish I could change but can't. Heartbreak still haunts me but it's silly because it was so so long ago. I must say, sometimes that's the best way to write....the words are just flowing like a river!