Reply
Moderator
Brandi_R
Posts: 1,598
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


Reader1793 wrote:
I have a question for all of those in the online b&n world. What would you think if a book ended with the two main characters, years after being married , dying together in the middle of the woods with their closest relatives at the end of (at least) the Country? After they wanted for so long to die? Yeah.. the second q is odd, but still.. please REPLY!!

The answer to this question really depends on what leads up to that ending. It certainly could work and be a powerful moment of closure, but it has to grow organically out of what's come before. I'm a firm believer that any idea has potential in fiction. It's up to the writer to make it work

.

 

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Moderator
Brandi_R
Posts: 1,598
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


KathyS wrote:

 


shadowcat80 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

my doctor, today, banned me from my computer... wrist tendons need a rest.  no typing..no clay..no use of my hands..period. wearing braces sucks...until this clears up...just when I was finally ....never mind...see you in a week or so. 

K


that's too bad Kathy, I use a voice typing program.  I was just thinking if that might help your situation.  There's a quite of few of them on the market. 


 

Thank you for your concern.  It's been over four months now since my lament, and my hands/wrists are much, much better.  It just took rest and time to heal the tendons.  I don't think I could use a voice activated program, I've tried tape recorders, and I get tongue tied!  My thoughts have to go through my fingers.  I lose my train of thought when I hear my own voice!

 

Lately, my lament has been a virus on my PC.  Had it fixed last week, and took it back to the shop this morning.  Right now I'm using a friend's lap top, which I dislike, but at least I can come to the boards. I also decided to buy a new PC, this morning.  I've never actually bought a brand new one, before!  Time for an upgrade!  And more changes to adjust to!  Transferring all my programs and stuff, ugh! 


I'm doing a little happy dance after hearing that your hands and wrists are feeling much better. That's great. But on the virus on the PC . . . well, that's no good. I hope the new PC treats you well.

 

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Moderator
Brandi_R
Posts: 1,598
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


axis321 wrote:

I finished my novel THE SECRET and I'm thinking about publishing it.


That's fantastic news. Congratulations!

 

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


Brandi_R wrote:

 


 

Lately, my lament has been a virus on my PC.  Had it fixed last week, and took it back to the shop this morning.  Right now I'm using a friend's lap top, which I dislike, but at least I can come to the boards. I also decided to buy a new PC, this morning.  I've never actually bought a brand new one, before!  Time for an upgrade!  And more changes to adjust to!  Transferring all my programs and stuff, ugh! 


I'm doing a little happy dance after hearing that your hands and wrists are feeling much better. That's great. But on the virus on the PC . . . well, that's no good. I hope the new PC treats you well.


 

Thank you, Brandi, for the little dance...I can picture it!  Ha!...I'm happy, too!  I kept waiting for this thing to run its course, and it's finally turning the corner!

 

My new PC is in the shop, getting all my personal data transferred to it, as I speak.  Hopefully, they can retrieve everything off my old one.  I haven't been able to write for so long.....I force myself to not have any ideas....I read....and shift my focus.  It has taken all my will power to not be driven nuts!  Accept situations...accept what life hands you....blah, blah, blah...Buck up, kid, it aint the end of the world!......I platitude my self to death!  Soon, very soon.......I'll be back with a full keyboard, and mouse, under my fingers, again!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

With the wide variety and readily available technology, we tend to take things for granted...Even when I don't have my computer, I never stop writing.  I try to always have a journal and pen with me.  Sometimes there are somethings that can't be captured on a computer, but rather with ink and pen...Ideas are expressed differently through the mediums...

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

Cabin fever is screaming in my brain, howling from the depths of my soul.  The tidal wave of arctic cold has finally lifted and I have a day off.  It is still only about twenty-five degrees here, but I have to see if my chest will be able to hold up against the frozen air.  Angina might be the result of this, but I am tired of hearing no...no...no...I have to try.  To the park, to my swing, I am bound...A new techno mix pulsing in my ears...Will I remember how to fly?  Don't know the answer to that, but gotta try...

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


Darkkin wrote:

With the wide variety and readily available technology, we tend to take things for granted...Even when I don't have my computer, I never stop writing.  I try to always have a journal and pen with me.  Sometimes there are somethings that can't be captured on a computer, but rather with ink and pen...Ideas are expressed differently through the mediums...


 

I can't use a pen/pencil and paper.  I don't fully agree with you, about expressing ideas differently with these different mediums.  It could be just the place, or space, you find yourself in, indoors, or outdoors, etc., at the time ideas come to you.  But, I'm glad you are able to use both mediums to write. 

 

One, my mind dictates to me too fast, and to slow it down with my hand writing, it is not an option.  Sure, I've done it, with short poems and thoughts, but with longer ones, it becomes an editing nightmare.

 

Two, with my tendon problem, I couldn't hold a pen, let alone write with one.  I could type, though, with limited pain.  I'm still with a small amount of pain, and have to avoid specific movements that will further aggravate it back to what it was.  I've come too far.....once you keep aggravating something like this, it becomes chronic.  I don't intend to spend the rest of my life with any more chronic diseases, than I already have.  :smileyhappy:

 

I just called the computer store, and they are only now getting to my PC!  Gads!  They said it would be finished some time today....let's hope, since they are not open on the weekends!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

 


KathyS wrote:

 


Darkkin wrote:

With the wide variety and readily available technology, we tend to take things for granted...Even when I don't have my computer, I never stop writing.  I try to always have a journal and pen with me.  Sometimes there are somethings that can't be captured on a computer, but rather with ink and pen...Ideas are expressed differently through the mediums...


 

I can't use a pen/pencil and paper.  I don't fully agree with you, about expressing ideas differently with these different mediums.  It could be just the place, or space, you find yourself in, indoors, or outdoors, etc., at the time ideas come to you.  But, I'm glad you are able to use both mediums to write. 

 

One, my mind dictates to me too fast, and to slow it down with my hand writing, it is not an option.  Sure, I've done it, with short poems and thoughts, but with longer ones, it becomes an editing nightmare.

 

Two, with my tendon problem, I couldn't hold a pen, let alone write with one.  I could type, though, with limited pain.  I'm still with a small amount of pain, and have to avoid specific movements that will further aggravate it back to what it was.  I've come too far.....once you keep aggravating something like this, it becomes chronic.  I don't intend to spend the rest of my life with any more chronic diseases, than I already have.  :smileyhappy:

 

I just called the computer store, and they are only now getting to my PC!  Gads!  They said it would be finished some time today....let's hope, since they are not open on the weekends!

 


 

Speaking of taking things for granted...It isn't just technology.  It can be anything.  My grandmother taught me copperplate when I was little and it is a skill I greatly value.  I hadn't really given much thought to what I would do if I couldn't use my pen and journals.  Thanks for making me stop and ponder...:smileyhappy:

 

Good luck with the new PC and your wrists.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

Occasionally the world is perfect.  The perfect dress at the perfect price and friends who bully you into buying it...:smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

The Cloud.  Percy Bysshe Shelley.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

Airborne Toxic Event on repeat and a yoga ball...:smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer’s edition: What’s on your mind right now?

A familiar demon returns...Deep, bleak, and heavy...Sleep is not in the offing and it at times like this I can truthfully say certain aspects of my life tend to suck...:smileyindifferent:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'