Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bookwormSV
0 Kudos

Writers block

I'm currently having writer's block and haven't written for about a week or so.  I have the thoughts in my head and I know where I want to go with the book, but I can't seem to put it on paper.... I need ideas on how to get through a writer's block....

What do you do when you get writer's block?

Imagine, Create, Inspire & you will be successful.

Stace aka BookwormSV 

Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic

Re: Writers block

If you'll scroll down this and the previous page, I think you'll see several threads -- and some very good suggestions -- about how to deal with Writer's Block.

Sounds like you have settled on what to write, you just can't get started.  The best way to get past that hesitation, is just to sit down and write a paragraph that you most want to get down on paper.  That paragraph can be from anywhere in your book or backstory: a character description, start of a chapter, or even rewriting a paragraph in your book that's been bothering you.  The point is to just jump in.  By the time that paragraph's written, your creative juices should be flowing again.

Good Luck!

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01

Knowing what you want to write is one thing; writing it, however, is another.

I have been the victim of writer's block several times, and, throughout my relationship with writing, will no doubtedly experience its extreme brain hemmorage more than once in the future. My best advice to conquering writer's block is to, even if the inspiration isn't coming, try writing anyways. And if by the end of the day (or hour) you don't like what you've written, the only thing you've lost is time and, believe it or not, you have gained something: Knowing that writing this part of your story isn't going to work a certain way.

My best wishes to defeating your block!

-tf01

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Frequent Contributor
bookwormSV
0 Kudos

Thank you for the advice....I will try these things. =]

Imagine, Create, Inspire & you will be successfull.

Stace aka BookwormSV

Frequent Contributor
birdsongDS
0 Kudos

I suggest relaxing. The harder you try to write the more stubborn your mind will be. Forget it, I'm not saying forget about writing or what you want to write about but take a break. Go out to eat, go to the park, sleep in or stay up watching a movie. Let your mind free itself and it will tell you when to write. I've had thoughts and in the time it takes me to put them down it all jumbled. Writers block just tells us that you are driven and that is not a bad thing! It will go away.
Distinguished Correspondent
Luna93
0 Kudos

What i do is i won't write. I'll just play the book in my head and think about wut i want to put on paper but not put it on paper. usually i can only write on weekends and in chapters at a time. there's no need to rush the story out of ur head. be patient with yourself and trust me you'll just get the urge to sit down and write something.
All I want is for you to be happy
And take this moment and make you my family
And finally you have found someone perfect
Finally you have found
~RHCP
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Perhaps you're feeling the pressure to put words on the page or to make the writing great. If the ideas are there in your head, this seems to have something to do with the process of translating them to the page. You might try to take this pressure off yourself. Sit down and write casually, without the intention of writing on one of these ideas. Just tell yourself you're going to noodle around on the page. The more you do this, the more you'll shrug off the stigma of "not writing." Eventually, you'll gravitate toward one of those ideas.

Also, I echo what marilynpsychic suggested: do a search for writer's block in this book club. It's come up many times and you'll find additional great advice.
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

What I do when I'm faced with Writer's Block is to write about it--I write out my thoughts, feelings and frustrations. What I need to be writing and why  I think I'm blocked goes down on paper. Eventually I'll get an idea or the urge to pick up the book and get going again. This process seems to work for me. You might give it a try.
Author
RosemaryH

Last week I was on a panel about Writers block (at Murder 203, a mystery conference.) These may not work for the type of book you're writing but they might inspire you...

- write a short (or not so short) bio of one of your characters. Sometimes that will help you realize what they would do next.

- work on your synopsis or outline. Thinking big picture is often a nice break from small picture.

- just tell yourself you are going to write one paragraph today.

-if all else fails, have someone walk into a room with a gun!

Good luck,

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.