New User
Cooper
0 Kudos

Writing Graphic Novels

Hi. Im new to this board.

Back in March, I gave a sample of my writing to my teacher in Creative Writing and he said to put it in a graphic novel. How do I write one for starters?
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

Re: Writing Graphic Novels

Have you read any?

Then there's all the books on writing for comics and a couple on making graphic novels. There's also Write!, a magazine dedicated to writing for comics of all sorts. I'm sure you would find material on graphic novels there.

Try reading Neil Gaiman's blog. Google "writing graphic novels" and see what comes up.
#Play tasty!#
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I've always wondered what a graphic novel was, isn't just a super long comic book? I could never do that because I can't really do anything that has to do with drawing or things like that. I just never really had the talent and that's a big part in that type of thing. Now my younger sister can do things like that but I can't.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

So, what you do is get together with your sister and you write the words and let her draw the pictures. The easiest way to think about it is that you are writing a movie. And "super long comic book" could be an accurate description. There are people though, for whom the combination of words and pictures is the preferred method of presenting the depth that novels are associated with.

This one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus is taught in schools. Part of its power is that its subject is so graphic in itself.
#Play tasty!#
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

mae-V wrote:
So, what you do is get together with your sister and you write the words and let her draw the pictures. The easiest way to think about it is that you are writing a movie. And "super long comic book" could be an accurate description. There are people though, for whom the combination of words and pictures is the preferred method of presenting the depth that novels are associated with.

This one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus is taught in schools. Part of its power is that its subject is so graphic in itself.

Na, my sister is good but not that good! Thanks for the thought though! Seriously, she could never do anything like that. Does the text go in bubles above the character's heads or not?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

yes.
#Play tasty!#