Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Writing Room: Coming to a Close

Writing Room Members,

The activity in the Writing Room has slowed considerably recently and, as a result, Barnes & Noble has decided to lock the Writing Room effective 1 July. You’ll be able to see all the past posts, you just will not be able to add new posts. Essentially, this will become an archive.

I’m saddened by this news. I’ve been active with the writing community here at Barnes & Noble since 2003 and over the years, this has been an ever-shifting, but always creative, friendly, and productive community. I know many of you here today have been participating, posting your work, and giving feedback to other writers for a very long time. I hope all of you are able to find other outlets for this kind of feedback and discussion. Please know that there are no plans to lock the other forums, so those discussions will continue.

This isn’t good-bye. I’ll sign off here in the Writing Room on the last day of June. In the meantime, let’s make the most of these remaining days.

Brandi

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Writing Room: Coming to a Close

I'd like to recommend Absolute Write's forums as an alternative.  They have excellent critiquing going on, the critique forums are password protected (for anyone looking to publish traditionally, this lets you keep all your first rights), and the discussion is fairly active.  I haven't spent a lot of time there yet, but the community seems pretty friendly, and I know there are quite a few famous writers that have come out of the forum.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

It made sense to use this forum if you are a writer or want to be a writer. But what about just using Pubit or the Kindle self-publishing platform? It might be a larger step, but it's a great place to get some feedback. Chad
Darkkin

Not happy to see the board closing, but it does kick me out of my comfort zone.  Occasionally, I do need one.  I went looking for other similar forums and found a very good one.

http://www.writingforums.org/

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

Oh I am very sad about this :smileysad: 

This board and its members sparked my writing to new places new levels.  I'll miss all of ya, your stories, and your poems.  :smileysad: 

Thank you brandi and everyone else for such a great place to hang out.  :smileyhappy: 

I suggest this as a idea starter http://www.writingforward.com/ 

But as a new place to write I don't know.  I've joined a writers group so I guess I'll write there but if any of you need a reader you can always message me.

Farewell Writing Room.

The best surprize is one left untold.
Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

This is soo sad...:smileysad:

This was an amazing board full of stories, poems, and just memories..

Is there going to be anything like this anymore??

I mean where we going to write our different ways and telling others of their works?

This was a great room thank you...

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
Wordsmith
Kat-NE

This is sad.

I didn't even write stories when I first came to the board. I just really liked editing. And now that I'm just starting to write again, it's ending.

Well, thanks Brandi, for putting up with us going off topic so much and giving all of us opportunities to become better writers (the exercises, guest authors, etc.).

And thanks to all of you who put up with my crazy critiques and my general geekiness for so long. Five Gold Stars to all of you (they will, of course, be sent by mail :smileyvery-happy:).

Maybe I'll wander around and check out the other boards and we'll chat again.

If anyone needs to get ahold of me, for random thoughts or to blame me for something that's going on in your life, I'm on Facebook (Katherine Easter, no profile picture, Missouri) or you can just send me a message at B&N.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

This is terribly sad!  :smileysad:

I'll probably keep hanging out with the teenagers, cause they do a lot of writing.  This place was a good creative outlet for me, and would have become something even more if I hadn't found a "real" job.

Love you and miss you already!

Wordsmith
writerfire

You guys cans find me on FB too. 

Holly Stout

With the shadow dragon profile pic.

Good writing all.

The best surprize is one left untold.
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Ah, I'm so sad about this, too! I do hope you all stick around the B&N forums. They're a great place to talk about books and writing and it's a wonderful community. Of course, the Writing Room was the best of them all. (Yes, I'm biased!) Seriously, though, the Writing Room community has alwasy been such a supportive and creative place. I'm glad to hear some of you have found real inspiration here.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Open-Peacemind wrote:

This is soo sad...:smileysad:

This was an amazing board full of stories, poems, and just memories..

Is there going to be anything like this anymore??

I mean where we going to write our different ways and telling others of their works?

This was a great room thank you...

No, with the closing of the Writing Room, B&N is closing the board dedicated to posting creative work and feedback and discussing the writer's concerns and publishing.  Again, this is coming out of a drop in interest in and use of this board. I don't know of any plans to replace it with something similar. Still, I know some of this happens in other ways on some of the other boards in the B&N Community. Those are staying open, so whatever is already happening in the other ones will continue as usual.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

And thanks to all of you for making this Writing Room community such a wonderful place!

keriflur
0 Kudos

Will the board be put into the archives, or does "Closed" mean that it will be gone completely, and we won't be able to browse or re-read any of the posts?

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Will the board be put into the archives, or does "Closed" mean that it will be gone completely, and we won't be able to browse or re-read any of the posts?

I believe Brandi said that it would be put into the archives.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Kat-NE wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I believe Brandi said that it would be put into the archives.

Oh, yeah, you're right.  Thanks.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Yes, it will be "locked," meaning posts cannot be added, but it can be viewed.

becke_davis

I'm really sorry to hear this, Brandi. ((hugs))

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear this, Brandi. ((hugs))

Thanks for stopping by, Becke. It's such a bummer! It's been lovely getting to know you. I hope to see you around the other B&N boards!

Distinguished Correspondent
BookishBlonde

I haven't posted in a long time. Still writing but also taking some family time and vacations. What I will always remember and appreciate about the Writing Room: it was this community that helped me get up the nerve to share my writing with someone not related to me which is a huge step! Thanks for so so much!

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

Well, by the time I get home from work tonight, the board will probably already be closed, so I'll say goodbye now. Thanks for everything guys. I wasn't a writer when I got here, but now the stories are roaming around in my head, waiting to come out. It's been fun. Goodbye, most of you. To those who are stuck with me, chat later.