Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

a little more than music?

hey, it's me!

i was just listening to a song, and i thought of something...there's a couple songs that just make me want to write. it may be because the song expresses what we write about or that we connect to it based on what we feel. what do you think? is it something deeper? what song makes you feel? spit it out, baby! :smileyvery-happy:

for me, it's Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on my Guitar". what about you?

love
zip
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: a little more than music?

Nirvana y Pink Floyd (on occasion). Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd reminds me of what I write just 'cause it's not really traditional thinking----I try to embody that in my writing. Nirvana---every single song holds inspiration for me.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Any classical music actually works for me to get me writing. My best friend listens to so much of it that my mind is completely overflowing with plots for books (I might make a thread here of plots that people could use...).
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

"Feeling Good" by Michael Buble-Disregarding the grammatical inaccuracy of the title, it is possibly the most joyous song I've ever heard. It makes me want to fly, dance barefoot in the grass, etc. Seriously. :smileyhappy: And it's all expressed in such a poetic manner... I love it. It takes me back to a time and place when I was just a heart and soul, staring at Spanish moss dripping off a tree, coming to the realization that no matter how much pain you can hold in your heart, life is out there waiting for you to recognize it. That was the instance that got me back into writing (which honestly saved my soul), and this song reminds me of that feeling of bliss and transcendence I eventually reached. There are other songs that might inspire me to write; basically anything that captures any strong emotion I've ever had will inspire something in me. But it's usually a random occurrence, nothing as infallible as "Feeling Good". :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ahhh penny Michael bubbl—I mean buble suits you. I cannot forget you’re the darling ballerina on the board. Tall and slim and has a crush on, well I don’t know who your crushuing on, but anwya, where have you been?! We missed you! Mwah!

I love listening to jewel.. anything that doesn’t have those growls in it and the word ‘club’ or bodyboump’ tonight. Hehe! :smileysurprised: jewel is the best I suggest you listen to her ladies!!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Hello!!! I've been super busy with school, so I kind of had to tear myself away from the computer for a few days... But now I'm off until January 8th!!!!! :smileyhappy:
Yeah, I know I'm one of the few people in the world who actually think Michael Buble is worth listening to... I heard a lot of his songs in tap class because many of them have that tap tempo, and I love his voice. But if it makes you feel any better, I do have some less nerdy musical interests (though some of them are equally as nerdy)!! My iPod contains pretty much everything from Queen to The Killers to Norah Jones to Juanes to Celtic instrumental music... I got one of those iPod dogs for Christmas that dances with the music, and it supposedly changes its personality according to the type of music you play for it. Mine is going to end up being schizophrenic because I have such a wide variety of music on my iPod. But the rap/hip hop genres are quite underrepresented... Those types of music typically inspire me to turn the stereo OFF. :smileyhappy:
Anyway, I've run out of things to say... Anyone??
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

But I love r n b music.. it makes me feel. No really. It makes me wanna dress up have fun. Everything sunshiny. Hah! Well Michael buble is absolutely cute. I love his voice. My half brother loves him. My ipod also is schizo. My bf is trying to introduce me to more rock music .. he loves the queens too! And I love norah jones. Try listening to jewel at least download a song. Suggestion: painters. Adrian…
I swear.. I cry everytime I hear her songs. But im not such a fan anymore when she went pop.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

hey, anyone heard of Joss Stone? she's somewhat new (i think...) and i've just discovered her. already i have like five albums on my ipod. she rocks!!
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

She’s hot! I love her.. have you listened to Fell In Love With A boy? :smileysurprised: I bet that’s your song! Haha! I love her new hair! Big curly and feiry red! ;o:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

omg! yess i LOVEE that song!!!!! :-D
"line?"
Contributor
Jessiemil42
0 Kudos

I have a couple.
I listen to scores. The "There Will Be Blood" score is brilliant. I also like the "Pride & Prejudice" score. But besides scores, I also listen to Radiohead, Wilco, and Melissa Etheridge the most. It depends on what I'm writing. When I write about a strong female character, which I am right now, I listen to Melissa Etheridge. She's so strong and her music is powerhouse, it inspires me right away. Now, with Radiohead, I listen to it when I'm in a chilled mood... I write a lot of dialogue when I listen to it. And Wilco is just Wilco. They're an everyday band.

And I agree about the Michael Buble. That man is amazing!

=]
Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

I listen to just about everything but im into maroon 5,linkin park, andalicia keys.I also like the old school hip-hop such as the sugarhill gang.I agree about michael buble and joss stone.They are awesome!!!
Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.