Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
hopper14
0 Kudos

best times to write??

when is the best time to write? 

for me it's when i close my eyes or i'm all alone...being alone lets me think and not be bothered...

i'm a newbie so i'm really not familiar with all this...i just posted some stuff... my name is irena :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Selber44
0 Kudos

Re: best times to write??

I write best when I have nothing else pressing on my mind, usually towards the end of the day when I've gotten everything done that needs to get done. 
"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling
Inspired Wordsmith
Kierstin-Kayla
0 Kudos

my best time is at night.
pain is inevitable. suffering is optional.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, first: Welcome to the writing room, Irena!

For me the best time to write is when I'm alone. For me it doesn't matter what time of day, really, as long as I can shut out the world and throw myself into my story. That's when I'm happy.

See, I like to talk to myself when I'm writing and for me that is majorly embarassing to do in front of my family! Not to mention all the crazy looks I get when I do this. So, I need to be alone and it can be quiet except for some music.

...Yeah, if you ever sneak up on me while I'm writing, you'll probably hear me carrying on a conversation all by myself. There might be some screams, yelling matches, etc. You know? :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 03-08-2009 12:57 PM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

For me, preferrably around dusk or nighttime, 'cause for some crazy reason, I can't write very well during the day. I also need some music to be playing, usually something inspiring (Carrie Underwood, anyone?). But that's just me.
Correspondent
hopper14
0 Kudos

haha yea i totally understand...i get weird looks too and i just stare back at them like what's yr problem?
New User
Normarx
0 Kudos

I find that the best time to write is all day long. I highly suggest carrying a notebook with you at all times, whether it be a small hand held or a full sized notebook. This way you can jot down any idea that pops into your head during the day. I personally write and re-write stories all day in my head and I just jot down things that I want to remember to put into my stories. I compile them whenever I have free time which can be during class, before bead or on a break at work. Whenever I feel the urge to write I do.

Contributor
Selber44
0 Kudos

Yeah, I talk to myself too.  Sometimes conversations, sometimes just reading out loud.  Even my cats give me weird looks.
"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling
Correspondent
hopper14
0 Kudos

yea i carry a notebook through school all day...and then i just get into moods to write and it helps cause words just start to  come out and it's hard when i don't have paper cause it comes out and i can't stop...
K_N
Contributor
K_N
0 Kudos

Apparently at two in the morning, because that's really the only time I think of something. I swear, I haven't slept a full night since I started writing. (Not to mention my dreams about my characters. I'm so obsessed.)

I also find myself writing when I'm not supposed to. I.e. During classes such as: history math, or anything that doesn't have to do with writing whatsoever.

Correspondent
hopper14
0 Kudos

wow at 2 in the morning?? that's crazy :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis
0 Kudos

Hello Irena!! 

I have not found a particular time when it is best for me to write.  My most productive writing is done when I am all alone, and have been able to close out the rest of the world and immerse myself in the characters and story-line.  But, the time for my most "inspired" ideas and writing is very random.  Sometimes it is during work, sometimes it is while I am on the road, and sometimes it is at 2:00 am.  The key for me is to be able to get the idea on to paper as quickly as possible. 

Sic volvere Parcas...
Correspondent
hopper14
0 Kudos

that's cool :smileyhappy: i don't have a specific time but i do get into moods to write but i have never wanted to write at 2 in the morning haha...
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I write so much that i HAVE to carry a notebook with me. I already filled up two of them and its only half way through the year.... but anyway i get ideas in my head all the time. I could be walking and in my head im writing a poem. By the time i get my notebook out the poem is forgotten. It kind of sucks. But i love what i do write. The best time for me to write though is during the morning or after a stressful day. I have no idea why but it works well for me. 
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Like others, I'm a night owl when left to my own devices. (When I teach early classes, though, this doesn't work out too well!) I've found, though, that the best time to write is any time that I have space in my day and I commit to it. As writers, we can train ourselves to get to the page when we need to. It can take some work—and some uneventful stints in front of the computer—but if you train yourself that you're going to keep writing no matter what, you'll eventually start generating material you're interested in writing. Eventually, you'll be ready whenever you fire up that computer or take out that notebook to write. (With the exception, of course, of those off days that seem to plague everyone at one point or another.)
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
New User
incredulo
0 Kudos

Yup -I find when I lie down in bed and my head is still buzzing I endlessly come up with new ideas and thoughts...I'm very much a night writer. Does anyone else agree that tiredness actually makes your mind more creative? I genuinely think it does!
Contributor
t_acker
0 Kudos

i think one of my best times to write is when my mind is filled with thoughts that only my paper can absorb, like after a breakup, or a long day at work. sometimes i feel that my notebook is my ally, my crutch, my sponge - that just takes my emotions and stores them for when i choose to read them. Jazz music and a sense of serenity also helps. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
cowboysurfer
0 Kudos

I typically write the most early in the morning when I first wake up and late at night when I am about to go to sleep.

I also carry a small notebook with me in my back pocket everywhere I go. Sometimes I get the best inspiration when I am driving and jamming out to some loud music...usually Muse or Nine Inch Nails. Sometimes I will even jot down ideas while stopped at stop light or stuck in traffic...or if I am actively driving I'll write down the idea on my hand so I won't forget it lol.

Music helps alot though...really helps the creative juices get flowing. 

From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire - Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
silverwings
0 Kudos

I guess the best time to write is when's someone's inspired.:smileyhappy:
"I'm asleep, but that doesn't mean I'm awake."