Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley

can you tell me the truth about you?

If you can describe yourself to us, how should we see you?

I imagine, I’d be wearing a white dress.
I’m in the beach , by the shore, the wind in whipping through my hair.
I close my eyes. It is almost sunset.
I love the sunset. it makes me think of life. The past , the present and the unknown future.
The horizon is bathed with a touch of pink, almost turning purple but not quite. The sky is yellow, but still you can say it is orange.. the sunset is a mystery to me. It reminds me of secrets, and unspoken truths.
I am alone. The water is gently touching the tips of my toes.
I open my eyes.
And the sunset is gone
I close my eyes again, thinking;
I am alone.
Nobody would ever understand why I feel the way I do
I am stranded ..
You can try, but most have failed
Somebody must save me
But never get me out of this
Warm , peaceful place I call my sanctuary…
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop

Re: can you tell me the truth about you?

[ Edited ]
i imagine, i'd be a t-shirt and a pair of rolled-up jeans.
i'm barefoot.
my hair is in a curly, frizzy ponytail high on the back of head, and a few wispy strands are hanging loose around my face.
both of my knees are dirty.
i'm standing in a forest, with the trees towering a hundred feet above me.
it just rained, but the sun is now beaming down in curtains.
i pause to admire a glossy beetle that's coming out from under a leaf, the storm now over.
then i start to sing.
first just a wisper, slow and ominous.
then the song gets louder and faster.
i turn my face up to the canopy of the forest and smile.
my blue-gray eyes sparkle joyously.
by now my voice is hovering high and i'm dancing wildly through the trees.
i come to a massive willow, and hoist myself onto the lowest branch, still belting out my strange song.
i ascend higher.
finally, i reach the top and look out over the forest.
i settle myself into the fork of the tree and exhale.
perfect.

then, from my pocket,
a tune.
the pocket vibrates.

i sigh and flip open the cell phone.

"hello?" i ask tonelessly.

mom wants me home for dinner.

~page

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 09-21-2007 03:45 PM
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
haha! i like the part about the sun shining down in curtains.. until mom called. oh man

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 09-21-2007 03:58 PM
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

here goes, mrsronald...

I sit in Starbucks, on my usual stool by the window, serene. I wear my favorite little black dress, my hair is, for once, smoothed lank down my back, my makeup not yet smudged by the days trials. A viente skim mocha sits before me, which I carefully sip from.

I am alone. The overly familiar parking lot stretching out before me, the old school staring down at me from her perch high on the hill top. I can hear the starbucks attendants asking customer's orders, most of whom I have known for years, and the faint buzz of the expresso machine behind me; I can smell the faintly tinged air: my own strong floral perfume and caffeine, sifting through the maker...

Life is at ease, the simplicity of the moment blocking all confusion from my focus. It is all so clear... I am waiting. for what? I ask. nothing...everything. confusion has returned. Life has reverted to its original and clearest form. I rise from my seat, grab for my purse, using my hips to push open the door.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I'm in the middle of an open field of soft grasses, barefoot, treading daintily and slowly with my arms crossed, beneath a gray sky. The wind whispers softly in my ear, and its warm breath on my neck opens my mind to insane possibilities, while a black flurry of birds floats along above my head -- eerie and fleeting beauty, the essence of life itself. A few solitary raindrops fall from the eyes of the clouds, rejuvenating my soul as they kiss my skin. This, I think, is something precious, a rare moment in which time has no meaning, in which you can hear the underlying harmony of the world and solitude is suddenly a glorious gift. But I'm not really alone, I muse; I'm here with my thoughts and the unfathomable wonder of everything in general, the perfect companions to the poetic soul...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

I'm at the poker table with 8 other rounders, grinders, donkeys and lions. I'm wearing stylish-but-comfortable black pin-striped slacks with a matching suit coat draped over back of my chair, tennis shoes and a black t-shirt with a red-eyed Grim Reaper decal, complete with blood-drenched scythe and deathly snarl; classy-casual.

For the past 13 weeks, I've taken mental notes on each of the players surrounding me; how they play various hands, their mannerisms, tics, twitches, reactions and responses to various moves made in front of and behind their own. Of the nine remaining players, 4 of them have earned more points than me in the league, and I am currently sitting with the shortest chip-stack at the table.

The price of poker is going up, dealers shuffle-up and deal. I swallow hard and force myself into the slightest hint of an expression opposite what I truly feel in my heart as I take a sneak-peek at the two cards before me...

just another day, just another life-altering amount of money on the line.

**bleep** it! Let's dance!
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

hey, mrsronald--

this was a really good idea for a post! very creative...
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I know, right? =) thanks zip zap zop.
I think there’s more to people than just judging them on what they say about themselves.
I’ll describe me is basic terms:
I never lived on a budget
I hate pressure,
And I hate having a schedule..
I love coffee, and I smoke cigarettes.

It’s easy if I say it that way, but wouldn’t it be cooler if people saw you for what you really feel inside?
Plus, I think we’re artists here, it wouldn’t give us justice if we didn’t get the chance to introduce ourselves in a manner where you can get as creative. =)
I’d L-O-V-E to know more about you guys.
why dont you guys post more stuff.
like a little online autograph book?

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 09-24-2007 09:58 AM
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I know, right? =) thanks zip zap zop.
I think there’s more to people than just judging them on what they say about themselves.
I’ll describe me is basic terms:
I never lived on a budget
I hate pressure,
And I hate having a schedule..
I love coffee, and I smoke cigarettes.

It’s easy if I say it that way, but wouldn’t it be cooler if people saw you for what you really feel inside?
Plus, I think we’re artists here, it wouldn’t give us justice if we didn’t get the chance to introduce ourselves in a manner where you can get as creative. =)
I’d L-O-V-E to know more about you guys.
why dont you guys post more stuff.
like a little online autograph book?

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 09-24-2007 09:58 AM

truth...we have one thing in common, we both love coffee! but talk to anyone I know and you'll find my addiction surpasses all. seriously. s--sirius....sir---no, save it for the hp board abi. save it. You should read david sedaris' barrel fever. there's a chapter: diary of a smoker. hilarious.

Main points to my personality being...

1 I don't believe in God
2 I buy too much music
3 I talk too much, so that half the time no one is listening, but i don't care
4 I'll repeat the same movie or book lines over and over again, like awhile ago, after watching pulp fiction twice through I swear, for the next week 50% of my speech was made up of: "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead," that scene and the first "I love you honeybunny" one too.
5 I listen to the same song over and over until everyone around me has me in a death-lock for annoyance(at the moment it's "wish you were here" by pink floyd)
6 I'm always cold
7 I am THE complaining queen
8 I swear too much
9 I'm overly hygienic
10 I can only admire kids from a good few yards away
11 I've never been without a book in my hand
12 history has always been my passion.
13 words explain me completely

It's fun pointing out my own flaws... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

What do you call it? Atheist? I spelled it right, right?
I do believe in god but im not a devout catholic. I get bored with the priest . but let’s not get into the religious thing. I’m sure I wont make sense .
I love coffee. I love caramel coffee jelly/ frapuccino.
I have a major sleeping problem. I swear. I have to always have somebody to talk to I get bored easily. I change my mind as fast as the weather changes.
Call me crazy. Yes I am. Yes I am.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Ha, this is a fun thread. Okay, here are some of the main aspects of my personality:
1. I'm very shy. The kind of person that the teachers have to force to speak.
2. I worry WAY too much.
3. I was formerly pessimistic and still am to a certain extent, but I recently had a revelation that life is actually pretty beautiful and you might as well enjoy it.
4. It's hard for me to trust people.
5. I love words and language in general.
6. I love school/studying. Strange, but true. :smileyhappy:
7. I tend to fear inadequacy.
8. I love nature. Almost nothing makes me sadder than seeing an area once covered in trees converted into a concrete block. :smileysad:
9. I'm very emotional, even though I hardly show it.
10. I think too much.
11. I love tea. Green and sweet iced are my favorites.
12. I'm a hopeless romantic in many ways. (Although I totally don't believe in love at first sight.)
13. I tend to enjoy solitude more than your average person. I get my fill of socialization during the day, but I really love an hour or two every night completely alone just to think (and write, as frequently becomes the case).
14. I do ballet and tap and have for almost twelve years.
15. Other writers tend to be the only people who can really, truly understand me. Hence the reason I'm here! I've only gotten to know one such person in reality, and I've just met another who could have the potential to be one (both English teachers, actually). But here there are a lot of writers who can do that.
That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty dull, so I'm sorry. Anyway, happy writing! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 09-25-2007 07:20 PM
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

hmmm...thinking..

by the way, I'm NOT shy. If someone's talking about anything I know something, however remote, about, I can't help but interrupt, or else risk explosion. :smileywink:

and you're not dull, pen! I'm rather fond of solitude myself! even to the extent of being anti-social at times.

I can't stand the same thing over and over again. I MUST have relative change so once and a while. and I have a sleeping problem too...i'll get home at six, six thirty, somewhere around there, then sleep till 1 am, wake up and stay the night up. Or not sleep at all, sleep until noon, oh, my schedule is very uneven.

After reaching a certain extent of boredom I cannot concentrate at ALL, on anything.

I am SO cynical. I should get a prize.

This IS fun :smileyhappy: can't think of anything else though...
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

Here's a depressing one-- I'll post it, but I shouldnt:

I've stopped being nice. I tell the truth. If your writing reads like a bank statement, I say it is "boring." If your writing is amateurish and you need more training, I say it. I spent many years and a great deal of money to hone my craft to an acceptable level, and I expect the same of anyone. I don't care if you cry when you hear my abrupt dismissal, in fact, it gives me a rosy glow to think your skin is so thin-- writers need cajones, they need the hide of a Rhino. I've got it, do you? I am doing you a favor. You are my competition, after all. Why should I give someone I am competing with an "edge?"

I need Empirical Proof before I believe anything. I don't believe in any sort of religion because deep down, I see them all as scams. I really do not believe in the Labor system, and castes, or hierarchies because it is also a scam. No one is better than anyone else. I've read too much history to believe that any thing that is now today considered normal was probably only made normal through either blood letting or by popular edict (often by blood letting).

I don't really have a life. I drudge at a low paying job which will never end in order to pay bills which will never end. I have never had any fun money. I've never had a vacation. I work nights and weekends and all holidays (no shift differential or overtime). I am generally tired. I really am starting to see their is no percentage in following the rules. I am developing a criminal's mind.

That's all I can say without getting into "Personal" stuff.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Okay. Dezdura. I don't tell people to do anything. I don't give them advice assuming they'll follow or even consider it. I never give advice in the first place 'cause I know it pisses people off. They'll do what they want and think in the end. But - wait, there are no exceptions to my rule. no buts. sorry, 'm wasting your time.

I forgot. I should trust more people. I don't. I try. I tell myself to. But I can't bring myself to reveal personal information to anyone.

I pretend to have more of a life than I do - not really here online though. I fantasize too much. I cannot except reality, for I realize that accepting it can very well be the death of any person. Life scares me, so I pretend it isn't. I over-indulge in reading, writing, and daydreaming to avoid things I don't want to face.

Those have to be the most personal of my problems(though i have generalized most of them so not so personal anymore...). Thank you all for listening - riddle diary. (thank you mrsrw for that very fitting term :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by ABI on 09-25-2007 11:46 PM
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Oh you’re welcome ab!
Dez you sound like such a serious person. Yeah, I’ve read enough of your posts to notice the type of person you are.
I used to dream of faraway places. When I was younger I wanted to get away from reality.
I go to places hours away from my house …. Just meet people… be around people who doesn’t really know me… that way I thought I can extend everything, delay my days , and create a new world, if not make my own real one bigger. I hope you guys won’t take stuff I say here personally, first of all we’re just chatting. I consider you guys as a figment of my imagination. Haha! I love talking here.
And pen you’re such a character!
I can just imagine you as a female lead in one of those cheesy romance books I love to read..
Pen: quiet girl who only talks if she has to… light brown hair… shy, only expresses herself through dance and litt….then she meets hunky baron white.LOL.

And abi is like my soulsister. I love hearing other people talk. And can talk as much as they do. =)
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

MrsRW:
That's agreat idea for a story: A person who goes places away from home to be an unknown and create a new identity, each time a new identitiy. Hmmm.
Of course, whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but the mind wonders.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
And pen you’re such a character!
I can just imagine you as a female lead in one of those cheesy romance books I love to read..
Pen: quiet girl who only talks if she has to… light brown hair… shy, only expresses herself through dance and litt….then she meets hunky baron white.LOL

Cheesy romance books??? Goodness gracious, MRW!! I've certainly never heard that one before! I find that very amusing. Aside from the "hunky baron white" part, that's pretty much me. :smileyhappy:
Here's something else I'm slowly learning about myself: I am quite good at deluding myself if I really need to in order to forget about and take the sharp edge off of certain things, but I'm always defeated by something so incredibly poignant... Kind of interesting. But kind of frightening as well. ABI, I totally agree with you in regards to your comment about life being scary. It is. But it is very beautiful if you can find ways to counter that (writing, reading, and daydreaming, as you said).
Anyway, I have to go do homework and then I have tap class... I'm thinking I'll actually have time to write later this evening in complete silence while the rest of my house is fading into dreamland... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Thanks klav!
But I really was that way.. was . you can never really run away from your own reality.
Who knows the song sorta fairy tale with you by tori amos? Kinda like what my life has been like…

Am I wrong for doing that? Going to different places, I don’t assume a new identity but I don’t really say ‘where I’m coming from’.. I was in a state of… depression..i didn’t know it was depression at the time… so am I weird or what?

Post something for us klavim.

**looks under the bed, abi??? You there????!!
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

So is it just me or does pen (basing form what she posted) sound like a good character for a story???!!! LOL!
New User
Contude
0 Kudos

A polo wrinkled from sitting in a drawer
Pants with a nice increasing hole located under the outline of my wallet
My Danny Zuko hair morphing in to the Costanza
Bags under my eyes from an early awakening
Daily grind looms in the distance
Getting old sucks!

Drift in to my bedroom to grab some socks
Going to be late if I dont kick it in to gear.
Look at my bed and I can describe what makes me tick
A little girl with Aristocat pajamas
Tigger grabbed tightly
Thumb secured between her lips
Smiling at her daddy.

Getting old isn't that bad I guess.
Watching her getting older...now that is a different story.