Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: can you tell me the truth about you?

zipzap, come on over to the hp board, just to say hi? don't be shy...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I'm attempting to get people to branch out, as you can see...no one takes my advice. :smileyhappy: anyway...
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

sure, i'll come to the hp board. actually i did once but i kinda forgot about it. :smileywink:

i can't go on now cause i have to go but i'll go soon.

bibi

page
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hi zip! how are you? jeezz this is so corny i gotta go already.. i'll see you guys tomorrow ok?
come on over to the right side! LO ;D
Wow penny I loved what you wrote about that winter sky! I get moments like that too..
I’ll tell you one of my magic moments..
I loved climbing up to our house’s roof , just to gaze at the sunset. Since I draw too, I decided I wanna paint the horizon… so I was sitting there letting the breeze whip through my hair…
And it was so wonderful…
The sky, it was pink, then it was yellow, but it was also purple, yet blue if you take a look at it…
And even though it was still bright outside you can see stars and the moon shown like
An opaque giant elf shoe (which is cute) ..,.
The breeze just seemed to melt my stress away , and like a fairytale I ran away with fantasy.. I just had to close my eyes at that point.
I had my drawings materials, paper, and a good view of the world. I was ready to put everything on ink and paper.
But when I opened my eyes. The colors was gone. The moon ha really rised and the stars were already shining so brightly I thought they’d all fall on me…it was night time…
And I wasn’t able to draw the sunset.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

I am sure you are all right. It is usually not the criminal who suffers it is the victim. Criminal gets a nice warm cell with a color television set. I am truly happy that you find some reason to laugh at me. That's why I am here. For you to laugh at. If not me than some one else. I'm sure you got all those 559 posts blithering with your opinion into the sea of uncertainty. Blithering, Blathering. Now I sound like Mozart.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Hey, Dezdura, who has defended you this entire time? Miss 661 posts, I believe. I take this personally!

I don't honestly see the point of pissing us off - even if we have apparently first done so to you. Actually, and I am going into insults now, I find it extremely immature. Utterly so, actually. Act your age! (this phrase i have been shunning since age eleven but obviously it goes well w/ the present circumstances...

Just becuase some of us don't see life as an endless abyss of nothingness leading up to nothing, one thing after another, on and on, w/ nothing particuarly wonderful about it, you don't have to insult theri optimism. seriously. and i would know, because i am actually quoting myself above. lol.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dezdura wrote:
I am sure you are all right. It is usually not the criminal who suffers it is the victim. Criminal gets a nice warm cell with a color television set. I am truly happy that you find some reason to laugh at me. That's why I am here. For you to laugh at. If not me than some one else. I'm sure you got all those 559 posts blithering with your opinion into the sea of uncertainty. Blithering, Blathering. Now I sound like Mozart.

what the?! Oh it’s you.

**slams the door.

Good morning everyone.:smileyvery-happy:
I’m so over it…

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-16-2007 08:44 AM

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-16-2007 08:46 AM
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Can we declare a ceasefire? Please? Even if we don't agree with one another, we of all people, as WRITERS, can recognize the individual right to freedom of speech. Having been personally involved in a conversation on another board in which all further responses were locked because of offensive comments, I think it all needs to stop now before that happens to us.
So, back on topic, more truth. I've been studying Pedro Paramo in my English class, and I am still absolutely in awe over Juan Rulfo's writing style. Yesterday we had a pep rally for Homecoming week, and there was a soft wind blowing in, which somehow always manages to get me thinking. As usual, I wasn't paying much attention to candidates for Homecoming King/Queen but instead was just thinking, when all of a sudden I realized a major coincidence about yesterday (I can't really explain it, as it would involve WAY too much explanation). And my thoughts were completely occupied by one thing and one thing only, a memory I thought I had put to rest but that apparently is capable of being resurrected quite easily. I was in a kind of trance-like state for the rest of the class period, and then I went to English class, where we usually spend the first fifteen minutes responding to a quote. However, our teacher had forgotten to write a quote on the board and told us to do a free-write instead. And that was what I needed. Because I wrote and wrote until I had to stop and then I finished it once I got home, and it ended up being quite a bit in the same style as Pedro Paramo. Not nearly as good, of course, but it was a nice writing exercise nonetheless. But that madness -- the insane passion of a writer -- is something I relish everytime it overcomes me. Most people don't want to be crazy, but writers can't help it, and in fact they need it...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Hi pen. =)
Haha! **mrsRW waves a whiteflag at everybody.. ill shut up about you-know-who I don’t want this thread or MYSELF banned for some silly argument. Plus although this is just cyberspace I still wouldn’t want you guys getting the wrong idea about me. So I apologize.

Sometimes I try copying who other writers write their stuff and it’s quite hard. Btw , I just do it for fun.
I wrote a thesis once about Tuesdays with morrie. Actually we call it a mini thesis at the time. I still have my notes. And that book had so many wonderful quotations and lessons.. I’ll never forget that experience. =)
Frequent Contributor
HoplessRomantic
0 Kudos

Dezdura wrote:
Here's a depressing one-- I'll post it, but I shouldnt:

I've stopped being nice. I tell the truth. If your writing reads like a bank statement, I say it is "boring." If your writing is amateurish and you need more training, I say it. I spent many years and a great deal of money to hone my craft to an acceptable level, and I expect the same of anyone. I don't care if you cry when you hear my abrupt dismissal, in fact, it gives me a rosy glow to think your skin is so thin-- writers need cajones, they need the hide of a Rhino. I've got it, do you? I am doing you a favor. You are my competition, after all. Why should I give someone I am competing with an "edge?"

I need Empirical Proof before I believe anything. I don't believe in any sort of religion because deep down, I see them all as scams. I really do not believe in the Labor system, and castes, or hierarchies because it is also a scam. No one is better than anyone else. I've read too much history to believe that any thing that is now today considered normal was probably only made normal through either blood letting or by popular edict (often by blood letting).

I don't really have a life. I drudge at a low paying job which will never end in order to pay bills which will never end. I have never had any fun money. I've never had a vacation. I work nights and weekends and all holidays (no shift differential or overtime). I am generally tired. I really am starting to see their is no percentage in following the rules. I am developing a criminal's mind.

That's all I can say without getting into "Personal" stuff.

Dezdura wrote:
Here's a depressing one-- I'll post it, but I shouldnt:

I've stopped being nice. I tell the truth. If your writing reads like a bank statement, I say it is "boring." If your writing is amateurish and you need more training, I say it. I spent many years and a great deal of money to hone my craft to an acceptable level, and I expect the same of anyone. I don't care if you cry when you hear my abrupt dismissal, in fact, it gives me a rosy glow to think your skin is so thin-- writers need cajones, they need the hide of a Rhino. I've got it, do you? I am doing you a favor. You are my competition, after all. Why should I give someone I am competing with an "edge?"

I need Empirical Proof before I believe anything. I don't believe in any sort of religion because deep down, I see them all as scams. I really do not believe in the Labor system, and castes, or hierarchies because it is also a scam. No one is better than anyone else. I've read too much history to believe that any thing that is now today considered normal was probably only made normal through either blood letting or by popular edict (often by blood letting).

I don't really have a life. I drudge at a low paying job which will never end in order to pay bills which will never end. I have never had any fun money. I've never had a vacation. I work nights and weekends and all holidays (no shift differential or overtime). I am generally tired. I really am starting to see their is no percentage in following the rules. I am developing a criminal's mind.

That's all I can say without getting into "Personal" stuff.

I Really HATE to do this. It's like that horrible saying about beating a dead horse.
I think the first post by Dezdura on this thread is telling...
We are her "competiotors" therefore she refuses to help us in anyway because by doing so she would be giving us an "Edge."
So to recap... Devdura is not helpful for if she was she would be going against her Personal Truth. Therefore Dezdura is only a hinderance by shreading people's work. "Oh a competitor must KILL...Now." Come ON!
This stupid site as Dezdura calls it should be a site where writers can get nourished and grow through the HELPFUL Criticism of others.
BOTTOM LINE: If you are not here to Grow and help others grow why should the rest of us TOLERATE your existane on this site that is so clearly beneath you?
Get published Dezdura.

On the other hand. She has a RIGHT to be here just like every one else. If you don't want her insulting comments simply proclaim your thread a Dezdura FREE Zone. That way you wont get your feelings hurt and she can trash someone else. WIN-WIN

Dezdura I am really torn in my feelings toward you. I thank you for compling with my note to you earlier. I don't think your a "bad" person just a driven one. And that means you will probably go far. PLEASE STAY if you want to. There are several people in your corner and you will no doubt still have plenty to respond to.
â It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.â Said by Mrs. Bennet in Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Look who’s back! It’s hope!!! With a vengeance! Hey girl post something for us here.. give us your best shot! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
HoplessRomantic
0 Kudos

Ron's delightfully deluded Chic
Does your NEW boyfriend support your delusion I wonder...
Hmmm...

The truth about me...
I am a pre-med drop out...
No white Coat for me :smileysad:
I have grabbed hold of my first love English and discovered it to be more than a safety net but something I can see myself being HAPPY in.
I read and write romance but have only loved once in my life.
My family is a circus of interesting and entertaininhg characters...
I have a strained relationship with my father (Who is still married to my mom.)
I am at times (most of the time) jealous of my blonde bombshell sisters (twins).

How is that MRW?
â It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.â Said by Mrs. Bennet in Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I have to go right now, but I just want to say this is a beautiful thread. I haven't read it all yet, but I intend to, and then I'll introduce myself. This is magnificent guys, keep posting!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok, just because im happy to see you back here Hope doesn’t mean you can bash Ronald again ok?? ***taps perfect cute foot , arms crossed

He is kind… wonderful… and gorgeous…. Ahh yess… those memories we’ve had…**snaps out of it
Ronald wealsey is a real person! And he has a wand that does magic!!!
Hey tiger, hello dear! Make sure to post on this thread ok? There’s a lot of interesting people and topics on this board too… :smileytongue:
Don’t listen to hope **covers tigerlilly’s ears

She’s just playing… and jealous bec Ronald and I are perfect together!
:smileyvery-happy::smileysurprised::smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Yes of cousre you and ron are perfect together. You are Mrs. Ronald Weasley, after all!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Well, I finally read everything and I have to say, MrsR and ABI, your poems on page two are simply beautiful!

To everyone else, I'm still pretty new on the b&n bookclubs, so hello! I have decided I'm going to backtrack a bit and write a little intro for you all.

I get home after a long, tiring, and seemingly pointless day of class. My home is empty, the silence haunts me, drives me mad; yet I know that if someone was with me I would be just as mad. I can’t take the emptiness for another second so I decide to go for a drive. “Maybe it will ease my mind”. But all I find on my drive is a constant supply of angry, lost people, speeding past me to an unknown destination.

I park the car in a shopping center parking lot so I can walk around for a while, collecting my thoughts. But all I see is an endless concrete jungle, sprawling out in every direction; more angry and lost people rushing in and out of stores, running through their lives, with no eyes or neighborly smile for me, the girl who wears her long, tangled hair like a mask so that the world can’t see the fear in her eyes.

I walk on, feeling so sick and tired and bored. Truth tries to confront me. I walk faster. Truth wins, and I feel once more just how lonely, just how afraid, just how trapped I really am. I push Truth away again, to the back of my mind, where it patiently waits to strike again. I drown in the concrete.

The sun is setting now. It is a beautiful, regal orange and pink, the color pink I wanted to paint my room when I was little. No one but me seems to take any notice.

I drive off again. I want to go somewhere, anywhere; I just want to keep driving into that sunset. I realize I can’t go, that there’s nowhere really to go, except back to my lonely abode.

I drive past a Wal-Mart and see a homeless man walking on the sidewalk. He is my uncle. He looks tired. I should pull over and help. That is the right thing to do. But I’m afraid. Afraid of what he’ll think of me, his niece who he used to sing songs to while he smoked in the backyard, in a time before he was disowned by our family for being a druggie, a schizophrenic, a bum, a thief. He must hate all of us for turning our backs on him. I drive on. Truth says “Hypocrite” but I ignore it again. It is the only way I can live with myself.

I get home again, if you can call it that. I turn the music up louder so I can’t hear Truth berate me. I need a distraction. I bury myself in my current book. Life can be good sometimes, if you fool yourself.

Later tonight I will go out on my roof and smoke my stolen cigarettes, for a suburban girl must hide her habits. I’ll look up at a starless sky and out over my neighborhood, and wonder why everyone keeps on going on the way they do...

I realize this really isn't an introduction, but I hope it can pass as one. Does anyone else have days like these?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

ooh. very powerful, tigerlilly.

yes, sometimes i do have days like that sometimes...my advice...sleep on it!:smileywink:

page
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's what I usually do. Sleep is one of the few things I am pro at! I am also good at eating!

Don't I have such redeeming qualities! I am so charming! I wonder why I don't have a row of men lined up outside my door!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Tigerlilly, thanks for that - see, I moderate for mrsronald while she is away snogging ronald...

I must say, that sounds rather like my life. I can relate, honestly.

I want to post something. I just can't think straight at the moment. I feel trapped. I am trapped. Seriously. Is is too much to ask, to sometimes see another world, something interesting, something new, differing from the same scene, every day, replaying perpetually?

I can hardly sit down to read anymore. It's like burying yourself, and knowing your dead. I have always had the ability to conceal myself in a book, or alternate reality. But now ....I can't keep convincing myself. I suppose this dead routine has gone on too long for me. I only have a shadow of hope that what happens to those people, fun, excitement, will ever befall on me. I'm getting too old to live in a fantasy world. But I honestly can't see how I can truly escape without drowning in that reality. You know what I mean?

It might sound sad. But right now, I feel utterly secluded. I can't drive to get out. I can't just start hiking down the highway for some alternate scene. I'm just stuck. Same scene, same routine.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

hey, sorry, didn't mean to sound so depressing. :smileyhappy: