Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

daydreaming

[ Edited ]
hey again!

i was thinking...i have come up with a lot of really good ideas while daydreaming in class...like the idea for my book i'm writing. have you ever come up with anything while you were supposed to be doing something else? i was just curious.

oh, i also wrote a poem in math once... oh nvm... i'll get myself in trouble:smileywink:

page

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 10-16-2007 05:29 PM
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: daydreaming

I've daydreamed all my life. Not necessarily during classes. But yes. Unfortunately ABI w/ her stick-in-ze-mud attitude has recently decided to skip one of these horrid highschool grades. And thus she is attempting to cut back on er daydreamin!
But my saga is over...and I will actually reply!

Yes. I often daydream when I'm supposed to be doin something else...like today, I was "flipping" through my book while "listening" to my teacher/boss(this combination is terribly unfortunate, but perfectly true) droning on about something that was apparently wrong w/ the cash register...and of course drifted off a bit... i'm thinking they killed bunny because he found out something that affected all of them...maybe he threatened to kill francis because he was gay...seems the type...

ANYWAY, wherever I presumed to go w/ that conversation is obviously not happening...but i have a question:

When you (and I refer to the general public of this board) daydream, what about? I believe one can tell the world about someone by their main focus of dreaming...yes, another, "get to know you" question. And I'm usually never this personal...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I tend to daydream a lot. But usually, when it's during class, I'm so afraid I'll miss something that I'll be thinking about whatever it is in the back of my mind, and then wait until either a spare moment in class or until lunch and write it all down. It's easier for me to daydream on weekends, when I'm alone in the quiet, usually at night or right when I wake up in the morning. In fact, a lot of times I'll just lie there for an hour or so thinking and fantasizing before getting out of bed. But sometimes I have to scribble things on the corners of papers during class, just because the madness is that strong...
My daydreams consist of anything, really. Frequently people, and often nature. Life, thoughts, emotions, situations, etc. I'm a very pensive person in general, so I'm always thinking about things and then end up putting it in some sort of written form. Daydreaming is important for the writer, though, I think, because you're tapping into your core, in a way, and really discovering the essence of what writing IS. I'm not sure that makes sense. Feel free to elaborate... :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

oohh now that you asked.

I usually do it in classes too and when im in a coffee shop or any cozy public place most of the time.
Here’s how I roll.
By the way I sometimes have a staring problem.
Anyway, I see a middle-aged couple. I study their body language. If I can I’ll try to hear the conversation between them , but just for my ‘research’ purposes. And then I start daydreaming or probably gossiping with myself . haha! I start with questions, are they really a ‘couple’, does this man have a wife he doesn’t go home to or vice versa?
Are they really both single?
ARE THESE PEOPLE GOOD PARENTS? And I can come up with a story from there.
I don’t usually write it down.
But I do spend hours drifting off to nonexistent stories I have in my head using my observations.
I do this to young couples too.

And sometimes when somebody is talking to me, I’m listening , but his words are chanelling different sides of my brain that I’m actually assessing him while he’s talking.

I usually dream about myself. Imagining what I’ll be years from now.
Fact::: I used to imagine myself being a single parent, rich, but no husband.
That’s just how I saw myself before. I’m in a better place now. :smileyvery-happy:
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

ABI,

about what, you ask? well me personally, i daydream about EVERYTHING...from books i read to how hungry i am to how much the guy in the locker next to me smells to why people commit suicide. you name it, i've dreamt it!:smileyhappy: sometimes i even daydream about boys(ssshhhh):smileywink:.

i also do something wierd when i'm zoning out. sometimes my mind kind of takes over and i kind of make up scenes in my head about certain things--what could have happened if i hadn't done this, what would i say if a guy asked me out, that kind of thing. bizzare, i know, i know. :smileyvery-happy:

pen,

wow! you are actually afraid you'll miss something?!? wow. when i daydream, i'm like zoned out. the wierd thing is i always look like i'm paying attention so i don't get in trouble. (mwa hahaha***cackles evily**).

you're right, daydreaming IS important for writers, and yes, it does make sense. i tottally see what you mean.

mrsrw,

wow! that tottally reminded me of a book i read a while ago...um...ohya! stargirl, by jerry spinelli. have you read it? anyway, in it, stargirl does the exact same thing you described...well mostly. weird! :smileywink:

i DO daydream about what i'll be like when i am older, although it's a little more far-off for me. :smileyvery-happy:

page
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

lol, mrsronald, I do that too...the other day I was just sitting in the car (why..?) i was bored...But it took me a while before I actually realized what I was doing, and that I must do it often, because it seemed the most natural thing in the world.

Watching people...and deciding whether or not they have a future together...or looking disgustedly at some obese person...or just being really mean and comparing my appearance to the innocent passerby...(yes, her hair's all right, but her nose....no, I'm ten times prettier---lol, I'm so vain---this is my usual conclusion)

(this whole time I was completely oblivious of how utterly rude I was being---no, I'm not consciously that cruel...usually.)

I usually daydream about myself...about whoever I've decided is flirting with me, whether or not I'd give him the time of day, my future, whatever test I aced, whatever test I could have done better, and the tests I haven't yet takne (and no...i'm not obsessive in the slightest....) the books I'm reading and which character I'd rather be...(yes, camilla's cool..but so plain...richard gets all the good guys...and girls---lol..but...) and the story's general outcome.

I also find myself obsessing over the context of my daydreams...lol...(no, that's NOT a good word for that instance... :smileyhappy:

YES, I DAYDREAM TOO MUCH
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:
ABI,

about what, you ask? well me personally, i daydream about EVERYTHING...from books i read to how hungry i am to how much the guy in the locker next to me smells to why people commit suicide. you name it, i've dreamt it!:smileyhappy: sometimes i even daydream about boys(ssshhhh):smileywink:.

i also do something wierd when i'm zoning out. sometimes my mind kind of takes over and i kind of make up scenes in my head about certain things--what could have happened if i hadn't done this, what would i say if a guy asked me out, that kind of thing. bizzare, i know, i know. :smileyvery-happy:

pen,

wow! you are actually afraid you'll miss something?!? wow. when i daydream, i'm like zoned out. the wierd thing is i always look like i'm paying attention so i don't get in trouble. (mwa hahaha***cackles evily**).

you're right, daydreaming IS important for writers, and yes, it does make sense. i tottally see what you mean.

mrsrw,

wow! that tottally reminded me of a book i read a while ago...um...ohya! stargirl, by jerry spinelli. have you read it? anyway, in it, stargirl does the exact same thing you described...well mostly. weird! :smileywink:

i DO daydream about what i'll be like when i am older, although it's a little more far-off for me. :smileyvery-happy:

page

Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd that way. I actually like school, which is probably strange to a lot of people, but I am huge on knowledge...
And I know what you mean by making up scenes in your head. I do that a lot. Sometimes I get so involved in some made-up conversation that I almost start speaking as if I were actually having that conversation. And I think a lot about my future, too, which, scary enough, is coming quickly... In two years, I'll be in college, and then I'm all alone out in the world. It kind of scares me, but I'm hoping I'll be ready for it when I have to face it. :smileyhappy:
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

really, it scares you pen? i've been waiting all my life...I trust myself. I think I can handle it. besides...college isn't that bad, you get dorms... which lessens living expenses considerably...

And yeah, i love school...sometimes i wish i could learn what ichose though, and that i could just skip it all...but the idea of school is great...though the whole social scene is kind of messed up in my opinion...girls are so, and i never use this adjective, seeing as i've shunned it since seventh grade, dumb---sometimes...guys are of course, ten times worse, but seeing as i'm around the former more often (being a gilr) i feel more entitled to insult them...:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey you guys!
College isn’t so bad. In fact it’s way better than highschool. Well for me personally.
If pen and I were friends in real life—we are sooo the opposite.

I do not like worrying about school.
I try my best to make everything fun that I don’t pressure myself.
I hate pressure. It makes me…normal. LOL.
Haha! What I mean to say is that it’s just not me. A problem is given –I solve it right away. What do you call it? Obsessive compulsive-ish behavior? I don’t have that in me. Although when there’s a full moon and the normal, responsible me arises…
I’m blabbing about nonsense.

Abi and pen—college is life. Although you won’t get to actually know it until you start working.
Questions? Im here. Lol

And zippy, I haven’t read that book but I will when I find it at the bookstore.
Im reading sophie’s world right now.anyone read it already?

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-18-2007 08:45 AM
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

The only reason it scares me is because I'm going to be completely away from everything I've been familiar with my entire life. I LOVE high school and I love my life in general and I'm comfortable and happy around all the people I know, and then I'm going to have to leave that behind. A bit of a Peter Pan complex, maybe. I don't want to grow up. :smileywink: One of my classmates brought it up at lunch the other day, and it really made me think about it. We're all going to be (mostly) going to different colleges, and you know how people just lose touch with one another after a while? Well, that's likely going to happen with a lot of us, because we'll get so involved in our own lives that it will just happen of its own accord. I'll try to be optimistic and say that it won't, but it very well could. Change kind of makes me nervous. I really am looking forward to the future, for the most part, but I do have a fear that it won't turn out to be everything I imagine it to be... Maybe I'm just paranoid or something. But I get really attached to people, and I'm totally attached to my classmates, because we're ALWAYS together and we're always dealing with the same stuff... I mean, I'm not a social person at all and I can be perfectly happy in solitude, but I do need people sometimes. Also, I once heard someone say that once you leave home, you can't ever come back to it the way it was. And that seems completely true, because things change in your absence and you're becoming part of a different community. That kind of makes me sad. :smileysad:
I'll just hope for the best, I guess. I believe in building my own destiny, so it's all up to me... :smileyhappy:
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

lol, i've found my opposite! pen, in an alternate universe, you'd be me! i mean parallel, actually, "other" the root of alternate, would not fit there...

I hate my highschool, and have been vying for change my entire life...i can't stand my hometown, not because of it itself(it really is pretty nice), but because it is , in fact, my "hometown." my family drive my crazy, and not because of their personalities, but because they're my family...(starting-to-see-a-pattern-here??) I know I can pass for older, but then i'm not, and no perspective 'friends' would give me the time of day because of my age...so i'm stuck w/ the same old people, which drives me crazy as well....which only encourages my wish to get out of this town! and this endless circle is killing me..seriously.

one day i'll unearth myself from this pattern, break free from this endless, perpetual routine...soon.

i'm going to do something stupid one of these days...in my attempt for liberation.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

by the way, zipzap wants me to tell you guys, she can't reply to her threads today, busy. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok! Thanks for the info ! oho! You guys really know each other?:smileytongue: anyway, yes change scares me too sometimes….
So now I have something in common with pen and with abi.
Abi you are a free spirit. You need to find your true sanctuary..

I always told myself, no matter what happens, life is like math. You’re given a problem all you need to do is solve it.
Because like in a real equation, you can’t change the equation to fit your answer, your answer must change to fit the equation. And that. Is life. Which is why I hate math. But I can be a life coach.
You can’t change your life and start wishing for something else.
Since you can’t do anything with it,
Just have fun with it.!
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
hi guys i'm back!!!

sorry i couldn't post yesterday. whoo! thursday is my busy day.

i'm trying to think of a topic that will keep us going for a while....any ideas??

page

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 10-19-2007 03:00 PM
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

haha, mrsronald, no, we're not communicating secret plans behind your back...zip just needed to get the message through.

and no, no idea what would keep us going...this board seems altogether too slow...but i'm off! back to hp...
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I don't daydream, I fall into trances. When I'm in them, I don't think anything. The only thing I feel is...golden. My teachers notice and say that I seem far away, but then I come back. My friend thinks I'm mental.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Contributor
Frostilaire
0 Kudos

Yeah, I have actually. I come up with answers to math problems at the most random times too! This one day, I had a math problem that I wasn't able to solve. Then I went to soccer practice and I thought up the answer there. It just came to me! Day dreaming is the source of my writing! I'm creative that way.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

wow. it's amazing how much i know what you mean!!(does that make sense?)

i know excatly what you guys are talking about...it's great how we are all connecting...

:smileyhappy:

all the best
page
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

I always told myself, no matter what happens, life is like math. You’re given a problem all you need to do is solve it.
Because like in a real equation, you can’t change the equation to fit your answer, your answer must change to fit the equation. And that. Is life. Which is why I hate math. But I can be a life coach.
You can’t change your life and start wishing for something else.
Since you can’t do anything with it,
Just have fun with it.!

I like that comparison, mrsronald! Soooo true.
Question: As an extension of daydreaming, what about actual dreaming while you're asleep? To what extent are your dreams a reflection of your personal reality? What do your dreams say about you?
For instance, I have weird dreams all the time. Just bizarre combinations of events that would likely never happen and that have little to no basis in reality. Not that I'm dreaming about unicorns and flying toasters or anything (usually, anyway), but frequently the personalities of people I know don't match their personalities in my dreams, or upon waking up I will remember fragments of my dreams that have no logical flow to them whatsoever but were still part of the same dream. So what does that say about me? But then sometimes I have normal dreams, and the only normal ones I have are usually based on fantasies, and I'll wake up happy and realize with horror that what I was just experiencing wasn't real. I'm interested in dream interpretation; can you tell? I keep having dreams about tornadoes, so I sort of had an idea of what the tornado was supposed to represent but I had to look it up online and then analyze every aspect of my life, because I am weird that way.
So, anyway, people speak of their writing coming to them in a dream. It could happen to any of us, I suppose, so what do you have to say about your dreams?
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:
hey again!

i was thinking...i have come up with a lot of really good ideas while daydreaming in class...like the idea for my book i'm writing. have you ever come up with anything while you were supposed to be doing something else? i was just curious.

oh, i also wrote a poem in math once... oh nvm... i'll get myself in trouble:smileywink:

page

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 10-16-2007 05:29 PM

Oh, me too! Even though I shouldn't, I do daydream everynow and then in class. It's kind of weird about how I get such great ideas when I daydream. But then I get a hold of myself and stop. But when I'm sitting in the car or something then daydreaming helps me think of new ideas!
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein