ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: halloween spookfest!!

HoplessRomantic wrote:
I was thinking less extreme. LOL
I am only 21 so a heart atack is unlikely. :smileyhappy:
Maybe a nice note from our college that she is being expelled for behaviors unbefiting a student? Its harsh but deffinetly scary. In the words of Cosmo "MAHAHA"
Love,
Aspen
Any more suggestions or shall I start writing...?

Anyone catch Moonlight (CBS 9pm) or Blood Ties (Lifetime 11pm) tonight? Great shows! Vamps gotta love 'em. :smileyhappy:

lol. I would die if someone did that to me. And nope, I won't be catching either. I think we're in different time zones...unless you meant tonight...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

My favorite Halloween shows (movies included) are the following:
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" , or the all-time Halloween classic by Tim Burton!
"Halloweentown" Amazingly enough, it's a Disney movie. The first one in the series is the best. The scariest part of the actual movie series is that one of the main characters seems to gradually dissapear and no one notices her absence. Her dissapearance remains unexplained.
Finally, the T.V. show classic by Joss Whedon: "Buffy the Vmapire Slayer". There is also a movie of it, but it is completely separate from the show. The show has seven seasons and the eighth is currently being published in a comic book form.

Why doesn't anyone want to read my short (well, maybe not so short) (at all) story?!?!
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Tim Burton is my hero... Sleepy Hollow is my all-time favourite Halloween movie.

Can't wait to see Sweeney Todd! will be wondrous....
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
My favorite Halloween shows (movies included) are the following:
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" , or the all-time Halloween classic by Tim Burton!
"Halloweentown" Amazingly enough, it's a Disney movie. The first one in the series is the best. The scariest part of the actual movie series is that one of the main characters seems to gradually dissapear and no one notices her absence. Her dissapearance remains unexplained.
Finally, the T.V. show classic by Joss Whedon: "Buffy the Vmapire Slayer". There is also a movie of it, but it is completely separate from the show. The show has seven seasons and the eighth is currently being published in a comic book form.

Why doesn't anyone want to read my short (well, maybe not so short) (at all) story?!?!

I would like to read your story regardless of its length!! Please post it!!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Hope, I think the expulsion thing is a good way to get your friend back! And, yes, I did see Moonlight, even though I never usually watch TV. It was pretty good. I liked the theme of forever angsty, adolescent, vampires that the show displayed.
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I can't post my story right now. A friend of mine persisted upon reminding me of plagiarism, so I won't be able to post it without her becoming very, obnoxiously angry. I can tell you the basic plot, though:
The main character is dared by one of his friends to enter a purportedly haunted abandoned house which happens to have at least ten gargoyles on the front. The gargoyles turn out to be actually protecting the house from a malicious form of ghosts. After the main character discovers this, however, something very, very bad happens to him... I actually don't know exactly what happens next. The story sort of ends right when the protagonist learns what the gargoyles are.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Sounds spooky... Too bad you couldn't post it!
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Alright, everyone. Here's my "scary" story. It's really not frightening at all; it's pretty much just a bunch of ramblings about fear... Enjoy...

No one spoke that night, except for the wind that blew in like a fugitive. Tense and worrisome, it rushed through the streets, silent and subtle as a plague, infecting the thoughts of once carefree leaves and sending them into a wild frenzy. It was as if the wind had carried with it the ferocious black that stained the sky and cast all indications of life and of hope into the shadows. A streetlight flickered on the corner of Rose and Elm, barely even attempting to stay alive anymore, as if it understood something in the whispering that permeated everything.
For a moment, I wished I were that streetlight.
I knew when I left home that evening that I wouldn’t be coming back. I was tired of monotony, tired of a life of predictability and lack of adventure, and whether an old friend or the police or fear or happiness or death found me, I refused to go back to warmth and safety. I had too much pride for that.
I sat on an old bench, wet with premature dew. The brass armrest was cold, like ice; I felt it spreading into my bones, freezing my veins as winter freezes rivers. The wood was rotting, suffering a slow and painful death, pleading me with the screech it made every time I moved to salvage some remnant of life from its eternal death, and maybe from the world itself…
A slow and foreboding rumbling unraveled in the distance, and the wind grew stronger, more persistent, desperately desiring to tell me something I was never going to understand. The moon hid its venerable face behind a cloud while the stars gazed on mournfully, as if they longed not to carry out the fate they had contrived. I got the idea that a cataclysm was about to occur, or that maybe it already had.
The wind’s icy breath on my neck unleashed a fear that crept down my spine like a spider down a wall. I released myself from that corpse of a bench, ignoring its final cry, and began to walk with a step agitated by anxiety. My sneakers made a dull thud as I trudged along, almost seeming to echo within the bare walls of emptiness. I felt like I was being followed, but I was too scared to look back. I broke out into a run, and the dry leaves that had been skittering along with my feet like souls long dead began to lag behind, whispering unintelligible warnings as I left them. And then came a flash of silver light that briefly revealed the spindly fingers of trees scraping across the sky, accompanied by a wretched boom that seemed to come straight from the bowels of the earth. By the time the rain started, my legs were moving themselves mechanically, and I was hardly thinking anymore. The clouds released their fury on the world, like tiny daggers that stabbed my skin and ruthlessly murdered every other sound. Water was sliding off my eyelashes, cascading in front of my eyes and down my face, as if every sorrow of the world had become my own. I stopped momentarily, a lost soul confronted by a desperation that drenched every corner of my mind, and then I ran for the shelter of a large oak tree. I leaned my back against its cool trunk, breathing heavily, and slid down into the embrace of the above-ground portions of the roots. The leaves imitated the clouds’ weeping in slow motion; it was almost as if there were two separate spheres of time within the same place.
Another flash of light, another angry grumbling – much closer this time. My thoughts flew back to a time when I was six years old, lost in the woods after deciding I was an explorer in a far-off land, and a thunderstorm had broken out. I wandered for what felt like days, sobbing into my already soaked teddy bear, trying to find my way home and all the while thinking of the story of Hansel and Gretel that my mother used to tell me sometimes, hoping that I wouldn’t encounter a witch who lived in a gingerbread house and tried to stuff me in her oven. I felt the confining vastness of the world at that moment, just as I felt it now. I had never been really able to tolerate a storm since then, because I was always reminded…
It was then that I realized my stupidity, realized that I was a corpse if I didn’t let go of my false sense of dignity and get back home. I tore myself from the tree and began running along the sidewalk, shivering and praying violently. I wanted to wish myself into the future, into security and safety, and just not have to endure these moments of my life. I came to the corner of the sidewalk and didn’t even stop; I merely continued to splash into the street.
A different flash of light – more golden this time – and a long horn, and screeching. Something heavy knocked into me, then nothing.
I had gotten my wish; I woke up several months later in a hospital room with yellow walls and wallpaper printed with lilacs. People were talking to me, smiling and crying, saying something about a car and a coma, and luck and God. But I was barely listening, because I was transfixed by what was happening outside the window. Rain, thunder, and lightning were there to welcome me back, eerie reminders of the closeness of death whenever you try to run from life.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Wow, Pen, that was amzing! The end was a big surprise. It wasn't scary in a typical sense and yet it was in a thought-provoking way. All of your stuff is a joy to read. I like that you never explain why she ran away. You say so much even though you don't say much, a delicate balance that you have perfected.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

okay, please don't laugh at me...this thing is crap compared to pen's...

There was always something strange about that house…a gloominess not even the sunniest day could penetrate. With its boarded-up windows and chipped, dirty paint, the house seemed to grimace with fatigue. Ally often heard strange wails from her bedroom window, which was about thirty feet from the abandoned building. When she had first moved there, she has been spooked by it, but over time she had learned to sleep through the ruckus. It still bothered her, but not as much.

Ally had often contemplated what kind of thing would make the wailing, but despite the many hours she spent processing the thought, she came up with no solution.

As she sat at her desk, struggling over a nearly impossible math problem and thinking she would go downstairs and swipe a Coke, she felt a breath of chilly air on her cheek. I really need to get that darn window fixed, she thought with frustration, and stomped over to the window. The abandoned house glared at her eerily from the other side of the glass, and she shuddered and looked away.
Or, at least tried to.

Her eyes were stuck—held fast to the shabby, sinister house. After a few moments she realized she couldn’t blink. Ally panicked, throwing all of her strength against the invisible force imprisoning her, but to no avail.

Hello, child.

Ally ceased fire on the force and froze. Heart racing, she stood stock-still.
“H-hello? Who’s th-there?” she stammered.

Even as she spoke, she could feel unseen eyes probing her body.

I am no one. But maybe I should say for the moment…I am you.

The voice was just a whisper, chilling and hair-raising. “Well get away from here, you…thing!” Ally tried to say defiantly, but inside she felt like cornered prey…

The voice chuckled. I applaud you. Excellent show of bravado. But come. Let me show you my world…

A strange buzzing began to spread inside her and she tried to say something back but her lips did not respond to her mind. It was like she was someone else watching from her eyes—she felt her foot take a step. Then another. Before she knew what was happening, she had gone downstairs and was turning the knob on the front door. Trying to struggle, she realized that however hard she tried, the thing had her in a death grip on her—it could make her jump off a cliff if it felt like it. But that didn’t seem to be it’s intention. Step, step, step…every mechanical stride carried her closer to abominable house, leering and ominous.

Up the crumbling steps. STEP.

Across the threshold. STEP.

Inside the house was so black the darkness seemed to press upon Ally’s eyeballs. As her eyes adjusted, she could make out a crumbling fireplace, a table that lay on it’s side with a leg missing, and a rickety stairway in the corner that let out of sight. Without warning, the force holding Ally up abated, and she crumpled to the floor. Trying to abstain from screaming, she lifted her head and peered, eyes round with terror, into the murky gloom.

Welcome to my humble abode…please, be still. I wouldn’t want anyone to know what happened to you…

At this, all of the remaining energy left in Ally’s body vanished, and her head thumped back against the floor. She was drowning…drowning within herself. Oh, mercy, she thought desperately. Then, inside her, something tugged loose; a thread of her being was snipped. Ally was being pushed out of her own body!

The next moment, she was just a wisp of soul, floating upwards...

The voice sounded:

You are one of us now.

Before her was an army of misty, shimmering soldiers…
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Your story definitely isn't crap, zip!!!! It was creepy, especially those last few sentences. And I loved how you described the house as seeming "to grimace with fatigue". That was awesome. :smileyhappy:
Hey, has anyone read "The Minister's Black Veil" by Nathaniel Hawthorne? It's not necessarily scary, just a bit on the bizarre side. It becomes scary if you really try to think about what people experience when they look at the veil... My English teacher decided we should do an experiment in characterization tomorrow and all wear black veils. My veil is going to be figurative, I think...
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:
hey i have to write something for school about a STRANGE HOUSE--maybe i could adapt it to make it scarier...

i'm conspiring...

***rubs hands together**

page

Page,
I just began a short story called The Dead End House. It's called "The Dead End House" for two reasons:
1- It's located on a dead end street.
2- Everybody who spends the night there dies.
Happy Halloween to y'all.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Pahe, that was great! Very eerie. I thought that last bit was very Poe of you. But my favorite line is: “Well get away from here, you...thing!”

Don't know why, that just made me laugh even though it wasn't a laughing situation. Good job!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
thanks, everybody!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

pen, ok maybe it wasn't crap but you have to admit...yours is WWWAAAAAY better!!!:smileywink:

klavim, that sounds good. just your genre:smileyhappy:

tiger, you really found that line funny??? why?:smileyvery-happy:

I LOVE YOU ALL

XOXOXOXOXO
pahe ***winks**:smileywink:

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 10-31-2007 03:44 PM
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I bet tim burton would make an HP movie that totally rocks… his movies and so dark and mysterious… I love it!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I thought that line was funny because she hesitated and then settled on the word "thing". I don't know, it was probably only funny the way I heard it in my head. But I really did love the story.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

tigerlilly wrote:
I thought that line was funny because she hesitated and then settled on the word "thing". I don't know, it was probably only funny the way I heard it in my head. But I really did love the story.

I like it because it shows she's so nervous she can't think of a better name to call the "thing" than THING.

Message Edited by klavim on 10-31-2007 11:08 PM
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

klavim, zip, have you ever read a book called.....I don't know what it's called, actually. but it's by RL Stine (yes, I used to love those books). It has basically the same theme. Dead House. dead people. graveyard. ghosts, etc etc.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

OK, that was by far one of the creepiest things I have ever read, zipzapzop. Ray Bradbury and many other horror authors would be proud. Rock on!!! Tha story was AWESOMELY spooky, if that is a word.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

first i want to say...you have no idea how much your comments mean to me. this is the best feedback i've had, like, ever!!! :smileyvery-happy: i am ssooooo happy right now and i could keep rambling on for hours but i have to go...

as i said before...

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

XOXOXOXXOXOXOXO

pahe :smileywink:
"line?"