Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
kate12345
0 Kudos

if you have advice

I'm young. So i have been told to keep writing but it will probably suck anyway.  I don't think i am anywhere near ready to publish anything but I would like some advice from someone who started writing at a young age. Encouragement maybe :smileyhappy:! Thank you very much...

-Kate
Kate : )
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Re: if you have advice

I started young, very young. I wanted to write, I wanted to express my creativity and thoughts. This passion was not always encouraged or welcomed by others and there have been days when I've wondered why I bother. We're often our own worst critics! The desire to write is a healthy thing, I think. If that's what you want to do, don't let yourself get boxed in by popular ideas that you have to publish absurdly young, or that you're writing will never get better if you're not born gifted. If that's what you want to do, keep practicing. Learn about writing, read a lot, share ideas with others and get feedback from people you respect and who know what they are talking about. Set goals for yourself, don't be afraid to take criticism in a constructive way. People can be cruel and they can be overly encouraging. Everyone has different tastes and what may not appeal to one group will be wildly received by another. Just sit and write! You'll develop your own voice; your own style. Learn the rules of writing and then learn how to break them. Writers never "arrive" they continue to grow.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hi kate!
my advice would be fore you to read a lot. be observant. take time to jot down your thoughts.
there's actually a lot of thread here that will help you. ;p
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Contributor
Brianne227
0 Kudos

Keep writing. No matter what anyone says keep it up.

Van Wilder said, no joke, "everyones first copy of anything sucks"

Everyones first stuff is bad. If its a good idea,keep polishing it untill it gets better. Read some non fiction. Might be booring but be observant of how everything is explained. That way if you write fiction the story can sound like its actually happening. Not just another story. You want your readers to believe the story.

If that makes any sense =P

It wont suck after a while. I look back on some of my old stuff just to see how much ive improved. Try writing a short story. save it somewhere for six months

after youve written other things go back to it. You might like the results. and it will most likely give you a confidence boost =]

Good luck.

This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,
May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616),
New User
collegechick21
0 Kudos

Hi Kate! I didn't really get into writing until I was in college. In high school, I had bad teachers and they really ruined English for me. It wasn't until I got into college that I realized I wasn't bad at it. My advice is to keep writing, and keep revising! The more you revise, the better off you are. Very few writers have been able to write and not revise. Revising is the key to how you grow.  Get others to proofread your stories or papers and then try to make it better. I havent tried writing stories yet but I have experience in writing argumentative papers. My early stuff wasnt really that great, but right now, I'm revising a paper so it will be published in the literary journal at school. Basically, writing doesnt come over night, but if you really love to write, stick with it and you'll be great! :smileywink:
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Frequent Contributor
Oceandweller777
0 Kudos

Hi Kate!!
   Emily Dickenson tried to get her poems published once.  She used a pseudonym and they got denied.  In short, they thought she sucked.  After her death they found them in a box and look what happened.
   You aren't "young."  You are a writer.  Granted you're new at it, but that doesn't count against you.  Keep your head up and write. 
   As the others have suggested reading a lot helps.  Read different genres and you begin to notice trends.  Fantasy uses bigger words than most fiction, from my experience.  Romance is extremely descriptive.  Dickens is long winded, but the ending of Tale of Two Cities was brilliant and simple. 
   Pick what you like, forget what you don't and you develop a style.
   Once you have your style its just a simple task of practice.
   I was a big Fantasy reader.  I can describe nature and movement very well.  I can bring out a setting.  It wasn't until I started reading novels that I got better with conversations and pacing.
  You are like the rest of us.  You're growing and learning and practicing your craft. 
  And if you think your writing "sucks" post it on here.  People are here to help and refine their own skills.  Its a cooperative relationship.
~Phill
Frequent Contributor
CuzEveryoneLovesACullen
0 Kudos

I really know what you are going through...I'm only 14 myself, and it seems like the rest of the world is against your writing.  Don't give up though! I know it seems like there are so many people out there who are better than you; but I can guarantee that there are people who are a lot worse.  Check out http://www.fictionpress.com and http://www.fanfiction.net. There are tons of younger people on there, including myself, who know what you are going through.  They are both great places to get your work out there, to have it criticized and praised.  It definitely gave me more confidence as a writer.

I hope this helps and good luck!
~Ana~
xXxXxXxXx
If we know the way we're gonna die, through all the rest we will survive ~The Academy Is... LAX to O'Hare
Yue
Frequent Contributor
Yue
0 Kudos

Let me put it this way: we all have to have a beginning. So yes, what we write first may seen like a great idea at the time, but when we progress we won't see it in the same light anymore. Practice, that's what it comes down to. You can have so many ideas and put them all down, but the main thing is that you have to love you work. It doesn't matter what anybody says right now; your your own critic, but that's what usually gets you down and the only way to get past it is to keep on writing. Nobody can tell which part was the hardest or the easiest to write, so "come whatever may" even the most absurd motion in your head can help you move past an obstacle - all you have to is write.
"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way." ~Leo Tolstoy