Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R

illustrations

Coraline and that got me thinking about how much I used to love illustrations in books when I was an elementary school reader. I'm still delighted when I come across them in adult books, too. (I'm thinking of the chapter breaks in Annie Proulx's The Shipping News.)  So, just for fun, I pose this question:

If you could choose to have a scene of your writing illustrated, what would you choose?

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

Re: illustrations

Aidan followed the music easily as he made his way through the ever turning length of the famous Merriweather Labyrinth.  As he wandered through the maze, his thoughts drifted back to the days when he and Jonquil had been afraid to venture into the labyrinth, fearing they would become lost among the aged yew hedges.  As a child, he could understand how the labyrinth could be intimidating, especially if you weren’t very tall, which for he and Jonquil had been the case.  It didn’t prove to be a factor today.  He now stood a little more than six feet tall and sported an impressive pair of shoulders.

A stream of notes trickled through the pathways and recalled Aidan to the present.  He rounded a corner and sighted his quarry.  As he drew closer he finally recognized the piece she was playing.  Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring.  Jonquil couldn’t have chosen a more fitting piece if she’d tried.  Aidan’s heart skipped a beat and he had to remind himself to breathe as he surveyed the sight greeting him.

Garbed in a simple round gown of forest green velvet, her black cloak and rich chocolate brown curls swirling about her in disarray, Jonquil surrendered herself to the soothing beauty of her music, once more.  She didn’t even look up as Aidan rounded the corner of the massive yew hedge to the lookout point at the far end; she was too far gone in her song.  The raw passion of her soul was reflected in her face and the thrumming of her slight figure, as her notes flowed forth soothing her tattered thoughts.

It was in this moment Aidan caught sight of his old chum and really saw the young woman she had become.  Still very slight of frame and small of stature, she bore a soft, delicate beauty many still attributed to the faire folk.  Her fire and determination only enhanced her natural charms.  Aidan knew the keen mind and biting sense of humor concealed by that angelic facade, of old.  Observing her, he could now believe the rumors of the numerous proposals she had received from the smitten locals.  She was an enigma.

Beau, the aging Border collie, sheltering from the wind in the lee of a shrub spotted Aidan just as Jonquil finished her song.  The graying collie greeted his old friend with a sharp bark and an eager waving of his plumed tail that was at present tangled with leaf litter.  Jonquil turned in the direction of the sound, a frown marring her forehead, lest it be Edmund or Ivy, who had sought her out.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: illustrations

Well wrote a good seen! I think the girl is in need of a bit more detail but ah just me nevermind me. Cool thread Brandi! I will have to post mine some time.. :smileywink:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!