Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

quotes you live by

[ Edited ]
I would like to know what your favorites quote/quotes are.
And why you believe in them.:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 09-28-2007 03:12 PM
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: quotes you live by

1. you might have noticed, but i'll post the whole thing:

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost (look familiar?)
The old that is strong does not whither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

-----Tolkien
I just love this quote. Literally. I memorized it at eight and it honestly has not left my head since...i even have the second part, but it's irrelevant. It's just so...so full in wisdom. simply smart, easily so. know what i mean? Kinda? maybe?

2. "Of course it's happening in your head Harry, but why on earth should that mean it isn't real?" ----said by dumbledore in DH ----repeated by she who it is already clarified, fantasizes too much. you can guess the appeal...

3. "Love conquers all; power corrupts all" ----which isn't a quote exactly, but I live by it, nonetheless - brilliant thread, by the way! :smileyhappy:

4. "A book should be an ice-axe to break the frozen sea within us" (thank you pen, for reminding me) ----Kafka. This is pretty slef explanatory.

and...5. the entire song of 'wish you were here' by pink flyd (no, i haven't stopped listening to it yet): "So..so you think you can tell...heaven from hell! Blue skies from pain! Can you tell a green field...." I don't know. It just captures my life so completely...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Contributor
JC_Coy
0 Kudos

"It's never too late to be what you could have been." George Eliot
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Okay. I have a lot of them. :smileyhappy:
1. "A book should be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka. In total agreement, ABI. One of my favorites.
2. "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." -Jimi Hendrix.
3. "Carpe diem." -Latin proverb.
4. "After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." -Cato the Elder.
5. "Man is in love, and loves what vanishes." -W.B. Yeats.
6. "Writing is easy. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." -Red Smith.
7. Another Kafka quote: "Writing is utter solitude, the descent into the cold abyss of oneself."
8. "But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." -Lord Byron.
9. "Human language is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, when all the time we are longing to move the stars to pity." -Gustave Flaubert.
10. "The story will save you." -My current English teacher.
I hesitate to give reasons for my fondness of these quotes out of fear of making this a very long post and also of ruining their profundity. But these are all wonderful quotes that really speak to me. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
hiddenwriter
0 Kudos

"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them."

This quote really applies to my life because so many people judge me by way I dress [I've got the whole emo/punk look, I guess...] and the thing is, I'm the farthest thing from a bad person. People see what's on the outside and don't even think to consider the person you really are because they've already stuck a label on you. The thing of it is, you shouldn't have to change yourself to satisfy other people. No matter what, you should be yourself. People are scared of what they don't understand.I garentee, that if you were to walk into a group of 'goths' [not that I'm one, Im just saying] you would feel really uncomphortable because you're afraid of them. I, on the other hand, can walk into a room of christions, goths, skaters, preps, or anything, and be fine becuase I don't judge by the outside.
I took a shot at happiness but it ricocheted instead,
now the bullet's bouncing back at me and aiming for my head.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Thanks for those quotes guys… I do believe that to be strong is to always see the funny side of things. =) the world doesn’t have to know what you’re going through…but don’t judge a person just because you never see him with a frown….
A person cries in different ways, mine is through the sound of my laughter…
By the way I like what you wrote hiddenwriter. Why are you hidden?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I agree. Hiddenwriter, stunningly accurate quote.
Contributor
LisaSolodWarren
0 Kudos

Less is more. Mies van der Rohe
Lisa Solod Warren
www.lisasolodwarren.com
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

"Life is like a hot bath...it feels good while you're in it. But the longer you stay, the more wrinkled you get." -Garfield the cat
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

All you need is love
All you need is love
(everybody now!)
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need

Obviously by the Beatles. I am kind of a crazy fan. But, when you get down to it, this really is a good quote to live by.
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

"Is Nothing Sacred?"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

To know what a person is saying..
Listen to what he is not saying…
And of course.. look down please
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

"Today is a great day."
Live, Laugh, and Learn
Clap your hands.
That which don't kill me can only make me stronger.

I put these at the end of ALL of my emails.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I love that quote agnijay :smileysurprised: totally inspiring. Thanks for sharing that with us!
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I would like to know what your favorites quote/quotes are.
And why you believe in them.:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 09-28-2007 03:12 PM

There are quite a few that I like.

We make war so that we may live in peace- Aristotle
I love that quote and it makes a lot of sense to me. I find that Oscar Wilde is one of the most quoteable people ever. He said, "just because a man dies for something doesn't make it true." I also like Theodore Rosevelt's phrase, "Speak softly and carry a big stick"

I like Nietzsche's "That which does not kill me only makes me stronger"

I enjoy pondering on the philospher De Carte's famous phrase "I think, therefore I am" I enjoy pondering famours philosopher's quotes. I also love Victor Hugo's. I am currently reading his most famous work Les Miserables and am almost done with it and it's filled with wonderful quotes and there are so many that I can't really recall one right now. Most of my favorite quotes are from classic authors and sometime philosophers.

Umm, there are so many quotes that I enjoy that I'll probably have to spend sopme time thinking about some of my other favorites.

talk to you all later,
historybuff
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Wasn't Eleanor Roosevelt who said "Speak softly and carry a big stick"? Just wondering.

Message Edited by klavim on 10-31-2007 11:28 PM
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

No, it was Theodore Roosevelt, I think
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Reader 2
Rosin_Dust
0 Kudos

Yes your'e right it was Teddy
Reader
whattoreadnow
0 Kudos

" Who you are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying."~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Forgiveness is not an emotion, it's a decision."~Randall Worly

"Our friends are those who know their own faults well enough to forgive us ours."~Moulton Farnham

"It's a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe that lures him to evil ways." ~ Buddha

" I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." ~ Thomas Alva

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease."~R.D. Laing

"Have no friends not equal to yourself." ~ Confucious"

It's the friends you can call up at four a.m. that matter."~Marlene Dietrich

"Pretty much all the honest truth-telling there is in the world is done by children." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."~Robert Frost

"I can trust my friends. These people force me to examine; encourage me to grow."~ Cher

"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you." ~Elbert Hubbard

"If you're going through Hell, keep going." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

"She might not have the cherry, but she still got the box it come in"~annonomous

"The most wasted day of all, is that during which we have not laughed."~Sebastian R. N. Chamfort

"Emotional sickness is avoiding reality at any cost. Emotional health is facing reality at any cost."~ M. Scott Peck

"If you can't DUCK it, **bleep** it!"~annonomous....in reference to Duck Tape
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

“ I like walking in the rain, so you won’t see me crying…”