Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

spontaneous inspiration

hey guys

just had a thought...have you even experienced or thought of something and thought "man, that would make a great plot for a story!"

for example, my friend and i were talking about what happens after death(deep, huh?:smileyvery-happy:) and i wondered aloud if you could be reincarnated into something that isn't human. at that moment, i knew that was a really good idea for a story. hence the book i wrote in 5th grade!

can anyone relate?
"line?"
Contributor
jadescarlett
0 Kudos

Re: spontaneous inspiration

Yeah, that happens to me a lot... not really for whole stories, but just scenes. Like, someone will say something and I'll think "wow, i want to write about that" and then the plot sort of builds itself around that.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

yeah...i was reading a book of greek myths once, and i came to the part about chiron. i love the fact that he's gentle and wise...so i'm writing a book about gentle and wise centuars! well, that's part of it, at least. as you said, the plot builds itself around the idea.

love zip
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Pahe!!!!

I know what you mean. Sometimes when I'm a passenger in a car on a long trip to somewhere, I love getting out my notebook and just writing about the people I see in the cars next to me. I love to think what their lives might be like! It's so interesting. I highly suggest doing this if you never have. Later, I'll look back through my notebook and I always get new character ideas based on the people I saw that day

Message Edited by tigerlilly on 11-17-2007 12:18 PM
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

yo tiger!
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

So good to hear your voice again! :smileyhappy: You get what I mean!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

ya! you too!! missed ya
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Vat have u been up to lately?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

zip! you changed ur pic!it used to be, like, a bug right? it's pahe, the illegal immigrant! jk, i kno its page.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Yep, spontaneous inspiration tends to occur quite a bit with me, but not in terms of developing plots. It's usually just a random thought that unfolds into an essay or story... For instance, the other day, I was looking outside my window right at sunset, when that gorgeous golden light soaks everything. And it was windy, and I was watching a tree, and for some reason the thought "I wish I were a leaf" popped into my head, and then so many other words followed... It's still a work in progress, but it all came about because of that random inspiration. Whenever something like that happens, it's usually just a one-sentence description, or a portion of a description; I'm rarely lucky enough to come up with more than that on the spot, and if I do, it's usually whenever I don't have pen and paper handy and can't write it down. :smileywink:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

"i wish i were a leaf"!! you crack me up, pen!

i think i'll put that as my signature...
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

hey ppl!!

ti--

well, to tell the truth, i am so giddy right now because i just got out of a blue fog of depression...i won't bore you with my woes...I'M HAPPY NOW! :smileyvery-happy:

jaya--

hmm...a bug? i think it was a lemon, actually. pretty close...jk lol:smileyvery-happy:

am i illegal? should i go into hiding?!?! AAAAHHHHH

~
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Ha, thanks for that, zip!!! It's something ridiculous like 12:45 in the morning, and I'm determined not to go to sleep until I've finished my paper on Pedro Paramo... Only about 250 words left to go! Then tomorrow's going to be a "fun" editing day. But I started laughing when I read your response to my musings. Between that and caffeine, there's no way I'll fall asleep! :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

My inspiration comes from music or books. Usually, that is. The other day I was just lying on my bed listening to Wait For Me, by Sean Lennon (nowhere as brilliant as John, but still amazing), and I was hit with your so dubbed "spontaneous inspiration!" I wrote it down immediately. A two page saga/poem on some poor guy with a jerk girlfriend, the hit line being "watch me drown, and I'll watch you." And going into a page describing death. But anyway, it's actually rather good, though it was written at one/two in the morning, and I had to rush down a flight of stairs to get to my computer, and word must have quit on me, erasing only too much about a thousand times - and in the end I couldn't even show it to anyone but my friend, because, well, the school would undoubtedly send me to counseling, etc. (I learned my lesson last yr - I think my teacher was convinced I was going to commit suicide - though he came around in the end, don't worry, told me to...well, I shouldn't say, we 'ave youngsters on zis board!)

NONETHELESS! I have been dragging on too long, I know. But anyway, yes, I'm crazy, but aren't all decent writers?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

i don't remember, my science teacher had a similar icon of the same colors with a bug's abdomen, so i confuse it. I don't thin kyou'r eillegal (or are you?) but listen Pa-hey.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

pahe...the gorgeous mexican babe.
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
My inspiration comes from music or books. Usually, that is. The other day I was just lying on my bed listening to Wait For Me, by Sean Lennon (nowhere as brilliant as John, but still amazing), and I was hit with your so dubbed "spontaneous inspiration!" I wrote it down immediately. A two page saga/poem on some poor guy with a jerk girlfriend, the hit line being "watch me drown, and I'll watch you." And going into a page describing death. But anyway, it's actually rather good, though it was written at one/two in the morning, and I had to rush down a flight of stairs to get to my computer, and word must have quit on me, erasing only too much about a thousand times - and in the end I couldn't even show it to anyone but my friend, because, well, the school would undoubtedly send me to counseling, etc. (I learned my lesson last yr - I think my teacher was convinced I was going to commit suicide - though he came around in the end, don't worry, told me to...well, I shouldn't say, we 'ave youngsters on zis board!)

NONETHELESS! I have been dragging on too long, I know. But anyway, yes, I'm crazy, but aren't all decent writers?

That sounds very interesting! I wouuld love to read that, ABI!
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Why yes, perhaps I will post it, another night like last, and I'll be most up to it. :smileyhappy:
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

Good I can't wait!
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
New User
shortlink
0 Kudos

I was inspired one night to write a short story based on an ideas I had from the afternoon radio. The mental images of the story were power, intense and flowing. By 4am the next morning I had completed the 12k word short story. I've gone back and reviewed the story since, but it didn't require much editing, and my fellow writers sensed an energy to the work that, honestly, I normally don’t have.

I have never experienced the intensity and focus of writing like that before. Boy, if somebody could put that in a bottle, I’d buy a truck load.

Shortlink