10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 3:21 PM by deemure

    Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

      Last night, I bought Learning Python, except when I downloaded it gave me version 2, covering Python version 2.3. Version 4 is also available.

       

      Sent 3 messages to customer service, no reply at all. Called and was told I'd be getting a refund and could purchase version 4but it says I already have it.

       

      What are you people DOING? Did I make amistake by not going for Kindle?

        • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.
          Schwa

          I'm not sure where CS is at fault here.  Searching for this title brings up 3 different editions.  The most current one being priced at $31.99 is the 4th edition The overview does state 2nd edition, but the number of pages confirms 4th edition... and this is providied by the publisher, not B&N). They gave you a refund for an incorrect edition.  Are you trying to purchase the same one again?

           

          Now, to be fair, this same title on Amazon is $25.19, so at least the price is better on Kindle.

           

          But this is NOT a CS issue.

            • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

              This specific issue may not be CS, but he's nailed it on the head, BN is not supporting customers anymore.  Sad but true.  I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase.  BN is NOT the only game in town.  Tired of being treated like garbage by these people.

                • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.
                  Ya_Ya

                  qballrail wrote:

                  I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase. 


                  Purchase?  Elsewhere you've claimed it was a gift.

                   

                  Do you mean keeping the gift someone else purchased?

                    • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.
                      gandalf1369

                      Ya_Ya wrote:

                      qballrail wrote:

                      I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase. 


                      Purchase?  Elsewhere you've claimed it was a gift.

                       

                      Do you mean keeping the gift someone else purchased?


                      I think he has complained so much that he has forgotten what he is complaning about . . .:smileyvery-happy:

                        • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

                          gandalf1369 wrote:

                          Ya_Ya wrote:

                          qballrail wrote:

                          I am beginning to really reconsider my purchase. 


                          Purchase?  Elsewhere you've claimed it was a gift.

                           

                          Do you mean keeping the gift someone else purchased?


                          I think he has complained so much that he has forgotten what he is complaning about . . .:smileyvery-happy:


                          Not that technicalities matter, I technically made the purchase with gifted money for that purpose.  Now, how about we drop the matter.   No, I have not forgotten.  All I'm getting is immature ridicule here so lets just drop it. Thank you.

                            • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

                              qballrail wrote:

                               

                              Not that technicalities matter, I technically made the purchase with gifted money for that purpose.  Now, how about we drop the matter.   No, I have not forgotten.  All I'm getting is immature ridicule here so lets just drop it. Thank you.



                              Well, frankly that's in the eye of the beholder.  Your thread titles have been inflammatory and all over the place.  You post in every thread where someone has a complaint to repeat your own with some conflicting information.  You are mad at B&N for DRM because books you bought in mobi format won't work on a NOOKcolor, or because they have their own DRM scheme.  You purchased the NC, or bought it with gifted money, or were given it  and did not want to return or sell the NC because it was a gift and the people that gave it to you might be insulted.  And you chastised me for not knowing it was a gift in one of your threads, and because I thought you bought it, which now you say you did.

                               

                              You think the NC is horrible because it won't read mobi, which you knew when you bought it, but that had no bearing because you were given it.  Also, because of an issue with 1.3 or with a promotion that promised incentives.  You won't do what was suggested regarding it saying you have the book open on another device or regarding the problem with the promotion, which is to PM the community manager, because that is censorship.  You were given info on how to possibly fix your books so you can read them, but that may be too technical but you might root it.

                               

                              You are worried about your credit card being stored on the BN site, which is understandable, but even after being given options, you still complain about it as if they are purposely trying to sell your info to wikileaks.  Yes, identity and credit card theft are real, but others did try to help you about this.  There were also many suggestions as to how to read your mobi books.  People have tried to help you even though you came here loaded for bear.

                               

                              Frustration is understandable.  But I explained that people here help others just because and the help you will most often get is from users, unless you specifically ask for it from Sam or post in the format she has requested to get her attention.  You took that to mean I believed you to be attacking me personally.  I didn't.  I just wanted you to know who you were talking to, but you chose to view it negatively.  Your posts were angry at the lack of responses to your emails, which wrongly or rightly are just not the way to contact CS, or waiting on the phone for CS-a fact of life for most all companies based upon time of day or week or popularity of an item, and you created multiple forceful irate posts just for this.  Sure, you have that right, but it does not make people want to help.  Still, you were offered help.  That is because there are a lot of good people here.  You might want to read back through some of the posts.

                               

                              And now you end with thank you.  All I have to say is, "oh no.  Thank you".

                               

                               

                               

                      • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

                        If you go to the page for Learning Python 4th edition and press Download Sample, you will get an excerpt for the 2nd edition.

                         

                        This is an example of poor programming. I program for a living, so I know.

                         

                        Further, this subforum is a technical support forum...so posting about technical issues makes more sense here than if I had posted it in the Sparkly Twilight VampireBook forum.

                         

                        Borders is in the process of folding. B&N can only avoid following suit by providing better customer service. If they're past the point of accepting and acting on reasonable criticism, B&N may just as well replace all their books with kids toys. I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

                      • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.
                        KnitKicky

                        @sidonb42:  your comment

                         

                        "What are you people DOING?"

                         

                        leads me to think you are trying to communicate with Barnes and Noble. This is a user forum; you are almost exclusively reaching other users here. 

                         

                        You might try posting this in the "Ask Your Community Manager" forum or private messaging Sam to reach your (presumed) target audience. 


                        It's a bit off-putting to users to address us in this way....it can even make some of us cranky at times!


                        Thanks!

                          • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.

                            KnitKicky wrote:

                            @sidonb42:  your comment

                             

                            "What are you people DOING?"

                             

                            leads me to think you are trying to communicate with Barnes and Noble. This is a user forum; you are almost exclusively reaching other users here. 

                             

                            You might try posting this in the "Ask Your Community Manager" forum or private messaging Sam to reach your (presumed) target audience. 


                            It's a bit off-putting to users to address us in this way....it can even make some of us cranky at times!


                            Thanks!


                            It's also a bit off-putting to CS - you get more flies with honey than vinegar!

                             

                            The times I have had poor CS are so rare, and far between, that I have to think that at least some of it is the approach of the person needing help. And yes, I've needed help from B&N phone CS, and they were great.

                             

                             

                          • Re: Is B&N just not supporting customers anymore? Can't get the right version.
                            bklvr896

                            sldonb42 wrote:

                            Last night, I bought Learning Python, except when I downloaded it gave me version 2, covering Python version 2.3. Version 4 is also available.

                             

                            Sent 3 messages to customer service, no reply at all. Called and was told I'd be getting a refund and could purchase version 4but it says I already have it.

                             

                            What are you people DOING? Did I make amistake by not going for Kindle?


                            You are not going to get an immediate reply from CS when you send an email.  Generally from any company.  Think of the hundreds of other people a head of you who need to contact CS, you're email is not going to go to the top of the queue.  And sending 3 emails does not good, it just clogs up the queue further, makes things go slower.  I deal with this on a daily basis with an internal system, users submit a request, it doesn't get answered immediately, the submit 3 more.  I still have to process each individual request, I don't magically know that those 3 additional requests are the same as the first one.

                             

                            It's rare that I get a response from an email from any larger company in less than 24 hours.