Please try doing a soft reset.
Here's the instructions:
Let us know if it fixed the problem.
- Hold the NOOKcolor’s “Power” button down until a pop-up window appears. The pop-up window will ask you if “you want to turn your device completely off”.
- Tap “Power Off” to confirm.
- Once your NOOKcolor is completely powered off, hold down the “Power” button again to restart the device.
- Allow a minute for your device to start up.
- You have now successfully completed a Soft Reset.
My first Nook froze up and the screen didn't respond after only having it less than 24 hours. B&N exchanged it. I've had the new one for 3 months. It downloaded the new update automatically with no problems. Now it is 3 months old and it was hibernating randomly, then it's telling me that it's trying to download an update and that the update failed and it's flashing the screen on & off with the error. I'm going to do a soft & hard reset to try to restore it. Otherwise I guess I'll have to call the warranty #. I love my Nook Color & tell everyone about it, but this is very frustrating.