So for Christmas my wife got a NC and we had the usual problems with connectivity: wouldn't connect to our wireless network, wouldn't stay connected for long, blah, blah, blah. As of late last night, no luck. A little background:
We have a Netgear RangeMax wireless router, WPA-PSK [tkip] security, multiple laptops connected (and never have any problems)
The main problem we had was (like everyone else), we couldn't get through the registration to even play with it. Tech support told us the update would fix our problems, but we couldn't load it onto the NC since we hadn't finished registration. Our computer wouldn't recognize the drive when we connected it. We were told to go to B&N to register it there (an hour away).So here is what we did.
1. Skip the registration process using this link:
This works! And then we could put the downloaded update on the NC.
2. Followed the instructions to update to version 1.0.1. This didn't help the connectivity issues, but now we had a NC with software version 1.0.1 but hasn't been registered.
3. Called tech support again (complete with 30 min wait) and asked how we can register now that we skipped the registration. We tried to "Erase and de-register", but that wouldn't work because it wasn't registered initially. They told us to perform a factory reset. Here's how you do that:
4. Shut off the NC. Then, HOLD the HOME BUTTON and the POWER BUTTON for 20 seconds and let go of both. Once you have done that (you should see the screen flicker once, then go black). Push the power on button. The screen will come up saying "do you want to perform a factory reset?" say "yes" twice. It will reboot and then bring you back to the initial registration page! Simple as that.
5. Gave up until this morning. Logged on to our router and removed all security. Yey! It worked. We now have a fully functioning NC. To fix the security problem, we had to switch the protocol from WPA-PSK[TKIP] to WPA2-PSK[AES].