12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 7:05 AM by FrenchGirl

    French books and FNAC ebooks

      Hi,

       

      Two questions:

       

      1) Is it possible to list the ebooks by language?  I am interested in finding books in French.  (Note it is possible to do over at Amazon, although it was not at all obvious figuring out how to do so).

       

      2) FNAC is a french book store offering their own ebook reader.  Their ebooks are either in the epub format or PDF format using Adobe for DRM.  Is it possible to use nook to purchase and read these books?

      (http://www.fnac.com/Guides/High-Tech/fnacbook/default.asp (reader)and

      http://www.fnac.com/telecharger-ebook.asp (books))

       

      thanks,

        Charles

        • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

          If they use the Adobe Digital Editions DRM, you should be able to read them on your nook.  But you won't be able to buy them directly from your nook - you would have to download them to your computer and then sideload them to your device via Adobe Digital Editions.

           

          See the instructions in my signature link for how to use Adobe Digital Editions.

          • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
            Doug_Pardee

            CharlesPlager wrote:

             

            Is it possible to list the ebooks by language?  I am interested in finding books in French.


            B&N doesn't carry much in French. Most come from Smashwords. Here's a search: 

            http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&FMT=EP&LNG=FRE

             

            If you want to include Google Books, try this search:

            http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&LNG=FRE

             

             

              • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                bluedaze

                Thanks very much for the search links, Doug!  I just found out B&N had books in French yesterday, so the info is very timely!

                 

                There are apparently even some in Russian available, but unfortunately I don't speak that language, but just FYI for anyone else who does. :smileyhappy:

                  • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

                    I bought "Du côté de chez Swann" directly from B&N to my Nook, and the text doesn't display correctly - strange characters appear instead of French characters. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

                      • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                        RHWright

                        jupi wrote:

                        I bought "Du côté de chez Swann" directly from B&N to my Nook, and the text doesn't display correctly - strange characters appear instead of French characters. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.


                        Try changing the font. The one you are using may not support the extended character set, which could generate the "strange" characters you are seeing. The N2E user guide implies that French is a supported language in all fonts, but that may not be the case.

                         

                        Or, just as it is a problem with English texts, the book in question just may not have been properly copyedited and formatted by the publisher.

                  • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                    CENY

                    My local Barnes & Noble store confirms the above posts- they said that FNAC books have to be transferred from your computer to your Nook.  I'd like to do it too.

                    • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

                      Bonjour !

                       

                      Sorry I might be too late and you may have had some answers already.

                       

                      I have a nook and am also interested in reading French books on my device.

                      We were in France in December 2010/January 2011 and the Fnac book had just been released. However, none of the sales persons were able to help us when we asked about the DRM.


                      Because I didn't want to buy a book (between 13 euros and 16 euros) that couldn't be read on the nook.

                       

                      I downloaded some of their free ebooks (les classiques Victor Hugo, Verlaine etc...) that were DRM free... Well, I was quite disappointed. Most of them couldn't open on the nook.

                       

                      So I'm really hesitant regarding buying a fnac ebook without being sure I can read it on my nook.

                       

                      Has anyone tried since December 2010?

                       

                      Thanks a lot

                       

                       

                       

                      • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

                        Okay, afer some research (from my husband), we downloaded Adobe Digital Edition.

                        I opened my free ebooks from La Fnac (classiques Victor Hugo etc...) from A.D.E & then transferred the epub files to the A.D.E folder in the nook and taadaaaa !! I can read Les Miserables on my nook!!

                        I'm sorry if my explanations are confusing...

                        • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                          I spent an entire day researching e-readers, and settled on the Nook Simple Touch based on reviews saying it was the best for reading, then picked it up at the store today. I am now already in the process of returning it. The ancient French dictionaries I was able to download don't work at all, or come across with strange letterings. The Nook does not allow you to switch the default dictionary to a French one, but I thought I'd be able to just download a French dictionary to reference words in a French ebook. This is not easy to do--takes numerous slow steps to look up a word from French text. AND getting that French book/text on your e-reader to begin with is very challenging/limited. B&N has a "en espanol" section of ebooks, but not "en francais." I also tried going to the FNAC website to download stuff into the Adobe reader software mentioned below. FNAC would not let me even order free books without a French address. SOooo it seems ereaders are not for francophiles ... yet.
                            • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks

                              FrenchReader wrote:
                              I spent an entire day researching e-readers, and settled on the Nook Simple Touch based on reviews saying it was the best for reading, then picked it up at the store today. I am now already in the process of returning it. The ancient French dictionaries I was able to download don't work at all, or come across with strange letterings. The Nook does not allow you to switch the default dictionary to a French one, but I thought I'd be able to just download a French dictionary to reference words in a French ebook. This is not easy to do--takes numerous slow steps to look up a word from French text. AND getting that French book/text on your e-reader to begin with is very challenging/limited. B&N has a "en espanol" section of ebooks, but not "en francais." I also tried going to the FNAC website to download stuff into the Adobe reader software mentioned below. FNAC would not let me even order free books without a French address. SOooo it seems ereaders are not for francophiles ... yet.
                              I am sorry you haven't been successful setting up your account on FNAC. I have just checked mine on their website and my address in the USA but I have to admit I haven't downloaded any free books since the end of May 2011.
                              They may have changed their policy which is really annoying.
                              Not related to French books but ebooks in general, I wanted to buy the UK version of the Harry Potter ebooks through the Pottermore webiste. Well, I cannot buy them because my IP is in the US... bummer...
                                • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                                  RHWright

                                  FrenchGirl wrote:

                                  FrenchReader wrote:
                                  I spent an entire day researching e-readers, and settled on the Nook Simple Touch based on reviews saying it was the best for reading, then picked it up at the store today. I am now already in the process of returning it. The ancient French dictionaries I was able to download don't work at all, or come across with strange letterings. The Nook does not allow you to switch the default dictionary to a French one, but I thought I'd be able to just download a French dictionary to reference words in a French ebook. This is not easy to do--takes numerous slow steps to look up a word from French text. AND getting that French book/text on your e-reader to begin with is very challenging/limited. B&N has a "en espanol" section of ebooks, but not "en francais." I also tried going to the FNAC website to download stuff into the Adobe reader software mentioned below. FNAC would not let me even order free books without a French address. SOooo it seems ereaders are not for francophiles ... yet.
                                  I am sorry you haven't been successful setting up your account on FNAC. I have just checked mine on their website and my address in the USA but I have to admit I haven't downloaded any free books since the end of May 2011.
                                  They may have changed their policy which is really annoying.
                                  Not related to French books but ebooks in general, I wanted to buy the UK version of the Harry Potter ebooks through the Pottermore webiste. Well, I cannot buy them because my IP is in the US... bummer...

                                  A workaround to this has been posted in various Pottermore threads here and on mobile reads. It basically involves gifting the UK edition to another email account and telling them the recipient is Canadian, then using the redeem code in your own Pottermore account.

                                   

                                  I haven't tried it myself. Search out those threads for more details.

                                   

                                  Back on the FNAC issue, has anyone figured out if US users can get anything from them and how?

                                    • Re: French books and FNAC ebooks
                                      Thanks for the Pottermore tips. I will try, hoping the IP won't be a problem. As far as FNAC ebooks are concerned, yesterday I "bought" a free ebook (no DRM) with my account (US customer) and I wasn't able to download it: my address is not in France. That really is a bummer. However, I can buy real books but it is not the purpose of owning an ereader.