31 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 9:57 AM by compulsivereaderTX

    I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

    compulsivereaderTX

      I live in a rural area in Tx, that has no library of it's own, in fact....we don't have a grocer either. Since I'm not a "townie" either, I'm REALLY out there in the sticks..I've always had to get a nonresident library card from a next local town, which is fine because that's where the grocery is too. I was also able to get one from Austin. I don't use the Austin library often as Taylor Public Library is an EXCELLENT library and has done very well at meeting my needs until now. Neither Austin nor Taylor have it in their budgets yet to be able to loan digital content. sigh....

       

      I love my nook, but I miss the ability to borrow books. Yes, I could still go get a physical book, but I have to say that it's nice to not have to schedule trips to town to get a new read. I've read about 30 free books since my nook arrived, and have purchased about 1 dozen.

       

      I have searched and searched for a public library that would issue me a non-resident card and was getting very frustrated. All of them seemed to require my physical presence to get a card and that just hasn't been possible. Each Library I found was at LEAST a 3 hour drive one way, then the yearly fees seem to range from $100 a year to even twice that. YIKES!!

       

      I just kept looking and looking and found the Denton Public LIbrary this week. A non-resident card is $50.00 a year but again, their website stated they needed me to show up with my id, etc. I looked through what they had available to download and I quickly came to the conclusion that $50 a year would be a bargain. I would definitely be downloading a lot more current and bestselling books to read than I could purchase for that price.

       

      I wrote to the library and asked them if they had provisions for non-residents who would ONLY be downloading ebooks. I offered to fax any information they would need, etc. I am so overjoyed that they responded already, stating they would be happy to work with me if I was willing to pay the yearly fee! They'll be sending me the application and I'll be able to fax it back and call in or mail my payment.

       

      I am so happy!

       

      If you find a library that you would like to use, but meeting the physical requirments to get a card is very difficult or impossible, contact the library and explain what you are wanting and how you would use their library. I have found that most librarians are often willing to work with those who love to read. I think too that the additional fees that they would collect through working with non-residents would help them expand their programs.

       

      Good luck!
      pamela

       

        • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

          Pamela,

           

          You can use www.overdrive.com to find other libraries and to find out how many titles and what titles they have.  I have library cards to the Harris County Public Library (Houston) and to the Arlington Public Library.  The cards were free and they have more books than the Denton Public Library.  Yes, I had to make a trip to both but I had reasons to be in both areas.  Supposedly, the Dallas Public Library will be getting e-books.  I plan to check to see if their cards are free.

           

          Out of my two current libraries, Arlington has shorter waiting lists, but Harris County has a better selection.

           

          Also, check San Antonio.  They have a lot of e-books.  I don't know if their cards are free but plan to check as I may be in the area this summer.

           

          If you have a choice, check out e-pub instead of pdf versions.  Also, watch for mp3 and wma formats.  Those are audiobooks - OK if that's what you also want.

           

          Enjoy the library!

           

           

           

           

           

           

            • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
              compulsivereaderTX

              I looked at the San Antonio library and the cards are not free. I do not remember exactly how much they were but it was $100 or over per year.

              • Re: ebooks

                I downloaded ebooks (EPUB) to my computer and to my nook - in the My Documents folder per instructions. I can't open and read the book on my nook. Any experts out there who can give a new user some tips? I'm so excited yet disappointed.

                • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                  Given where you are... You might want to look at Round Rock LIbrary... it is probably marginally local for you if Tyler and Austin are.  The annual fee (which even if you TECHNICALLY live IN round rock but your house is in a MUD district you still have to pay... sorry... sore spot) is either $40 a year for a family or $45... can't remember now... but individual is like $15.

                   

                  I don't know if they are willing to work with you to do the card via mail, but I figure they should (have you looked at access texas or something like that... I was hunting on line on the austin library web site and saw something that I wanted to talk to the information desk about next time I'm in...

                   

                  Round Rock Library is...

                  http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/library

                   

                  I have no idea how to check out books and their website is TOTALLY not user friendly to FIND them... but they have electronic publications... while I'm out with my daughter this morning, I'm going to go talk to them about the hows and wherefores of getting the books onto my nook... They look like there is more robust offereings in somethings in ebooks than there are in print at the local libreary... go figure.

                    • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                      FrogAlum

                       


                      awellsdba wrote:

                      Given where you are... You might want to look at Round Rock LIbrary... it is probably marginally local for you if Tyler and Austin are.  The annual fee (which even if you TECHNICALLY live IN round rock but your house is in a MUD district you still have to pay... sorry... sore spot) is either $40 a year for a family or $45... can't remember now... but individual is like $15.

                       

                      I don't know if they are willing to work with you to do the card via mail, but I figure they should (have you looked at access texas or something like that... I was hunting on line on the austin library web site and saw something that I wanted to talk to the information desk about next time I'm in...

                       

                      Round Rock Library is...

                      http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/library

                       

                      I have no idea how to check out books and their website is TOTALLY not user friendly to FIND them... but they have electronic publications... while I'm out with my daughter this morning, I'm going to go talk to them about the hows and wherefores of getting the books onto my nook... They look like there is more robust offereings in somethings in ebooks than there are in print at the local libreary... go figure.


                       

                      I just looked at Round Rock, it doesn't look like they offer eBooks yet...

                       

                      • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                        compulsivereaderTX

                        awellsdba wrote:

                        Given where you are... You might want to look at Round Rock LIbrary... it is probably marginally local for you if Tyler and Austin are.  The annual fee (which even if you TECHNICALLY live IN round rock but your house is in a MUD district you still have to pay... sorry... sore spot) is either $40 a year for a family or $45... can't remember now... but individual is like $15.

                         


                        I'm passing on the Round Rock Library.

                         

                        I looked at that site just last week. As far as I can tell, it is the basic online database catalog that all the texas libraries are connected to even Austin. And it is a major pain in the butt to use as you have to know what you want. I searched for several bestselling authors and came up with zip.

                         

                        The non-resident fee is too high for me for what you get. To be honest, there are better and easier to use libraries for ebooks that are much cheaper or free. AND they will sometimes waive the "have to apply in person" policy. I'll stick with those for now. I just don't have the time to waste wading through the mess at Round Rock.

                         

                        Austin is suppose to be getting their ebooks online this fall and that WILL be free to all Texas residents. I imagine it will be small to begin with, but I'm willing to donate a book or too to support them.

                        pamela

                         

                         

                      • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                        How do you download these books as an MP3 and then upload to the nook?

                      • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                        bilbravo

                        When I came home from B&N after looking at nook I found that my local library had eBooks and that I could read them on the nook.  I went back to the store immediately and bought it.  That was a huge selling point.  I'm glad that you were able to find a library to use to checkout books.

                         

                        One of the best things about it is that I don't have to drive to the library and drop books off/pick them up.  Also no late fees!  I'm terrible with returning things on time.  :smileysurprised:

                        • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                          Yeah, $50 per year is definately a bargain!  Glad you found this option. Borrowing library ebooks was a major selling point for me too.

                          • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                            Pamela, on another board, I found out that the Free Library of Philadelphia will issue non-residents cards for $15. You can apply online, but you have to print and fill out a form to mail in to them.

                             

                            Sue

                            • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                              Not sure if this will be helpful, but I get many ebooks from the NYC Public Library.  You can check it out at www.nypl.org.

                              • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                                Thank you compulsive reader!  I live in Ft Worth and they only offer audio books on overdrive right now.  I will check out Frisco and Arlington, I was a little disheartened when FW said they didnt have it, cause I bought my nook and though Ive always loved to read Im becoming compulsive myself now!   I cant put it down  :smileyvery-happy: 

                                  • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                                    FrogAlum

                                     


                                    thebatone wrote:

                                    Thank you compulsive reader!  I live in Ft Worth and they only offer audio books on overdrive right now.  I will check out Frisco and Arlington, I was a little disheartened when FW said they didnt have it, cause I bought my nook and though Ive always loved to read Im becoming compulsive myself now!   I cant put it down  :smileyvery-happy: 


                                     

                                     

                                    Wow, someone else with Tarrant County roots, welcome!

                                     

                                    The Arlington library is a good one, it has about a thousand books or so...

                                    • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                                      @frog: nooksst mentioned a B&N in Southlake....

                                       

                                      @thebatone:  Definitely go to Arlington.  You should be able to go to any branch.  You can also get a card from the Houston Public Library for free by mailing in the application with a copy of your TXDL.  You don't even have to show up.  Don't bother w/ Dallas - exorbitant non-resident fee.  It's good to belong to more than one library in case one has something the other doesn't and in case one has longer waiting lists than the other. 

                                       

                                       

                                        • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                                          FrogAlum

                                           


                                          gqb wrote:

                                          @frog: nooksst mentioned a B&N in Southlake....

                                           

                                          @thebatone:  Definitely go to Arlington.  You should be able to go to any branch.  You can also get a card from the Houston Public Library for free by mailing in the application with a copy of your TXDL.  You don't even have to show up.  Don't bother w/ Dallas - exorbitant non-resident fee.  It's good to belong to more than one library in case one has something the other doesn't and in case one has longer waiting lists than the other. 

                                           

                                           


                                           

                                          Yeah, I saw that!

                                           

                                        • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!
                                          compulsivereaderTX

                                          thebatone:

                                           

                                          I do not know if Austin Public Library requires you to apply in person or not. I don't go to Austin very often, but last time I was close, I stopped at the nearest branch.

                                          You can write to the Library and ask them if you have to apply in person. If you do and you happen to have to go to Austin for any reason, I'd just stop and get a card while you were there.

                                           

                                          Lubbock also has an ebook library. I usually go to Lubbock once a year so I plan to stop in and get my card next time I'm there. I wrote to them about applying but they've never answered.

                                           

                                          Harris County also has an ebook library but you have to apply in person or so I was told at the time.

                                           

                                          I thought that Dallas had ebooks? I remember checking it out but the non-resident fee was way too high for me. Denton has a $50 a year fee for non-residents.

                                          Check the resident requirements at each, some are pretty restrictive, some cover a good size area.

                                           

                                          Houston Public LIbrary is Free and can be done through the mail.

                                           

                                          pamela

                                        • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                                          I filled out the form for an Arlington library card online and got it in the mail. No need to show up if you live in TX and are only checking out ebooks.

                                           

                                          I got a Frisco card when I was up there a few weeks back - easier to use version of overdrive there.

                                           

                                          I have a Lewisville card but so far no overdrive.

                                           

                                          At some point I plan to drive to Houston and sign up for both Harris County and Houston cards. They seem to have a good selection, worth the trip from Austin I think. And for the Harris County card, you don't even have to be a Texas resident! You do have to show up tho.

                                           

                                          And yes, Austin library says October, but I'm not holding my breath. Round Rock library used to be nice to TexShare card holders, but ever since Austin opened their cards to all TX residents, Round Rock has clamped down - if you aren't a resident (or pay) you can't check out new books, you can't put a hold on books online etc so even if they get ebooks - you'll need to pay or live there.

                                           

                                          I forgot - The Colony library is part of the North Texas Regional Library System and although I haven't been up there yet, I don't see any restrictions saying you have to live in The Colony on their website. Obviously, I don't have a card from there - the other libraries in the North Texas Regional Library System are residents only and when I was up there I didn't realize The Colony doesn't say that. I'll call when I'm up there again, but it's going to be a while.

                                          • Re: I found a public library for ebooks! YEAH!

                                            There's also a lending library at OpenLibrary.org, which is free to use from anywhere in the world. Like Overdrive, they limit you to five books at a time, and you have to use ADE to open the books and transfer them to your Nook.

                                             

                                            The OpenLibrary borrowing collection is about 10,000 books (I think this is comparable to but a bit smaller than Overdrive), but if you're lucky enough to live near one of their 1,000 affiliated libraries (which are very oddly clustered in the U.S.), you get in-library access to "interlibrary loans" from their much larger collection of 100,000. Alas, my nearest location is a two-hour drive away.

                                            • Central Texas now has a digital library.
                                              compulsivereaderTX

                                              Several cities are listed as being part of the central texas library consortium. If you have a card to any of them, you can use it. For folks who live in central texas but might live in rural areas (as I do), you're best bet would be one of the towns that do not charge for out of town residents such as Pflugerville. Some of the cities charge a small fortune for out of town folks, but Pflugerville is free as long as you have a photo ID to prove you live in central texas.

                                               

                                              http://ctdl.lib.overdrive.com/21C13710-ED66-4DC4-AA9A-170625CF9ED3/10/696/en/BrowseeBookFiction.htm

                                               

                                               

                                               

                                               

                                                • Re: Central Texas now has a digital library.
                                                  ProfReader

                                                  compulsivereaderTX wrote:

                                                  Several cities are listed as being part of the central texas library consortium. If you have a card to any of them, you can use it. For folks who live in central texas but might live in rural areas (as I do), you're best bet would be one of the towns that do not charge for out of town residents such as Pflugerville. Some of the cities charge a small fortune for out of town folks, but Pflugerville is free as long as you have a photo ID to prove you live in central texas.

                                                   

                                                  http://ctdl.lib.overdrive.com/21C13710-ED66-4DC4-AA9A-170625CF9ED3/10/696/en/BrowseeBookFiction.htm

                                                   

                                                   

                                                   

                                                   


                                                  Actually I believe it is for any resident of Texas. I have over sixteen library cards in Texas. I live north of Dallas.

                                                    • Re: Central Texas now has a digital library.
                                                      compulsivereaderTX

                                                      That could be true!! I was just excited that it was in my area!

                                                       

                                                      Edited:

                                                       

                                                      From what I read, you had to have a card to any of the libraries involved so whether it was free or open to just residents or not depends on the library. Pflugerville was the only one nearby to me (well within a 40 mile radius) that was free to non-residents. I didn't go out of my way to check out any further than that. And you are right, Pflugerville is open to any Texas resident. Taylor was on the list too and that is only 10 miles away, but as a non-resident because I live in the country, it is $10 a year for a library card. Round Rock used to be $50 a year and that may have changed too. I have an Austin library card which is free to any Texas resident, but it is not a member of this system so that card won't work.

                                                       

                                                      Basically, the requirements are up to the participating library where you get your card.