15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 9:04 AM by Yogamum

    "Image Gallery" First Impression

    junonia-shell

      I just wanted to say that I have finally found a "reason" to now upload pictures in my NC and to show them off! Wonderful app and well worth 99 cents!! :smileyvery-happy:

        • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
          j-andersonjma

          I am glade you started a new thread for this absolutely great image viewer.  The main focus of the thread titled "Movie Gallery - First Impression" is the development of a photo display program.  I purchased this App as soon as it was available and have worked with it for a little over an hour.  It is performing just as Mitch (the developer) has described.  I really like the ability to set the display to the parameters I want.  The ability to select a folder for displaying the images is excellent specifically for a slideshow.  Now after selecting the folder and starting a slideshow only the images in the selected folder are displayed.

          • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
            Thanks Mitch for a beautiful way to look at pictures on my nookcolor! I love playing with the settings, 3D and mirror effect are just great and make my photos look better than they really are. And so easy to add or change captions. I'm loving it!
            • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
              petesnook

              Thanks, Mitch, for all your time and effort in producing a very worthwhile app.  I love being able to select the folder to display.

               

              One thing I've found that doesn't seem to work like I would expect: If I change settings and decide to reset to default, the app does indeed change the display to the default settings, but the Settings list still shows the changes I made; it doesn't show the default settings. Unless I'm doing something wrong. No biggie.

               

              One improvement I would like is to have the Slideshow button be a toggle so I can easily take it out of slideshow mode. The button would say either Enable Slideshow or Disable Slideshow. I haven't found  a one-click way to do that. One time the Back button took it out of slideshow mode, but other times it takes the app back to the entry screen from where launching Gallery takes it to the folder out of slideshow mode, so it's not a big effort, but it does take 2 clicks.

               

              Other than those two things, I'm overall very satisfied.  Thanks, again.

                • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression

                  petesnook wrote:

                  Thanks, Mitch, for all your time and effort in producing a very worthwhile app.  I love being able to select the folder to display.

                   

                  One thing I've found that doesn't seem to work like I would expect: If I change settings and decide to reset to default, the app does indeed change the display to the default settings, but the Settings list still shows the changes I made; it doesn't show the default settings. Unless I'm doing something wrong. No biggie.

                   

                  One improvement I would like is to have the Slideshow button be a toggle so I can easily take it out of slideshow mode. The button would say either Enable Slideshow or Disable Slideshow. I haven't found  a one-click way to do that. One time the Back button took it out of slideshow mode, but other times it takes the app back to the entry screen from where launching Gallery takes it to the folder out of slideshow mode, so it's not a big effort, but it does take 2 clicks.

                   

                  Other than those two things, I'm overall very satisfied.  Thanks, again.


                  Thank you Pete,

                   

                  I noticed that as well with the settings. I'm not sure what is causing it, but I'll try and have it fixed asap.

                  The slide show should be a toggle, but this morning I ran into the same issue, it didn't want to turn off. Going into settings and then back out does though. I'll fix that asap as well.

                • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
                  GDJ

                  I'm sorry to post a poor review, but I am not impressed.  I am having several issues. I'll start with the more minor.  When I first opened the program I kind of freaked out about the blue background, the mirror, and the fact that the photos were not full screen. I was able to change all those things, but still odd choices for default settings.

                   

                  There are no thumbnails, either of folders or images in a folder.  That means, I have to scroll through a folder to find an individual photo.

                   

                  The scrolling is not at all smooth.  Sometimes, if I don't swipe hard enough the photo starts to move and then comes back.  Swipe a little more vigourously and it can move ahead 2 or even 3 photos, completely skipping some pics.  It's very difficult to get a consistant movement through a folder.

                   

                  The IG has created a viewing folder for every folder that contains an image on the NC.  I have a CD collection of about 40 music CDs on my Nook.  Each CD is in it's own folder.  Each one has album cover art in it.  So in addition to my photo folders and the NC folders with images, well there are more folders than I can count.  If these were shown as thumbnails with a label, I could possibly work with them, but they are just icons.  So to find the folder I want by name I have to open each one until I get the one I want.  Apparently there is a way to get the name of the folder to pop up by touching it and moving my finger but I have been unable to get that to work. So basically I have a virtual line  of 50 or 60 folder icons, none of which are distinguishable from the other as regards their contents. (Most are off screen of course.)

                   

                  In addition, I've had it crash to a blank screen several times while trying to open or read folder labels.  It's not working for me and I am going to remove it and wait for something else to come along.  I appreciate the effort and it was well priced.

                    • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression

                          GDJ wrote:

                          I'm sorry to post a poor review, but I am not impressed.  I am having several issues. I'll start with the more minor.  When I first opened the program I kind of freaked out about the blue background, the mirror, and the fact that the photos were not full screen. I was able to change all those things, but still odd choices for default settings.

                           DVDCatalyst writes:

                          I am sorry ImageGallery isn't working for you GDJ, I understand the reason for a poor review. I choose the default settings as they are to make the pictures stand out and make them look nice, which works for many people, but of course there are many people who just want to see the pictures as large as possible.

                          GDJ wrote:

                          There are no thumbnails, either of folders or images in a folder.  That means, I have to scroll through a folder to find an individual photo.

                           DVDCatalyst writes:

                          After I finished ImageGallery, I incorporated something with thumnails in MovieGallery, which will make its way to ImageGallery. With MovieGallery it is used to generate images for videos that don't have a matching image, with ImageGallery, my intention is to use those images for scrolling rather than the full-sized images, and use the full-sized images for the slideshow and when you are not skimming through the images.
                           
                          GDJ wrote:

                          The scrolling is not at all smooth.  Sometimes, if I don't swipe hard enough the photo starts to move and then comes back.  Swipe a little more vigourously and it can move ahead 2 or even 3 photos, completely skipping some pics.  It's very difficult to get a consistant movement through a folder.

                           DVDCatalyst writes:

                          Similar to the previous point. Right now, ImageGallery uses the full-sized image for scrolling, which of course gets resized to a better match for the screen resolution. The larger the pictures are, the less-smooth the scrolling is.
                           

                          GDJ wrote:

                          The IG has created a viewing folder for every folder that contains an image on the NC.  I have a CD collection of about 40 music CDs on my Nook.  Each CD is in it's own folder.  Each one has album cover art in it.  So in addition to my photo folders and the NC folders with images, well there are more folders than I can count.  If these were shown as thumbnails with a label, I could possibly work with them, but they are just icons.  So to find the folder I want by name I have to open each one until I get the one I want.  Apparently there is a way to get the name of the folder to pop up by touching it and moving my finger but I have been unable to get that to work. So basically I have a virtual line  of 50 or 60 folder icons, none of which are distinguishable from the other as regards their contents. (Most are off screen of course.)

                           DVDCatalyst writes:

                          I am sorry, I did not account for music folders with album art. I have had requests already for the ability to exclude folders, and will incorporate this as soon as possible.
                           

                          GDJ wrote:

                          In addition, I've had it crash to a blank screen several times while trying to open or read folder labels.  It's not working for me and I am going to remove it and wait for something else to come along.  I appreciate the effort and it was well priced.

                           DVDCatalyst writes:

                          The images are very memory-intensive, and while I reduced the memory usage to a minimum by resizing them, if you have a lot of pictures and switch between folders, it is possible to run out of memory. When I implement the change to using the thumbnails in the next version, this should work a lot better.


                      • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
                        j-andersonjma

                        Just a question Mitch;  How are updates distributed using the B&N App Store?  Is there an updated MovieGallery already available?

                          • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression

                            j-andersonjma wrote:

                            Just a question Mitch;  How are updates distributed using the B&N App Store?  Is there an updated MovieGallery already available?


                            With the sync button it should check for updates on your NOOK, but as normysmom mentioned (thank you) it often just sits there for a while.

                             

                            Currently MovieGallery on the B&N store is still 1.2.6. I have not uploaded 1.3 yet, because on a few devices people ran into issues, and while it works completely fine on my NOOK (and all my other Android devices) I want to get that fixed first so both the android market and the nook app store have the same version.

                             

                        • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression
                          SkipperT

                          Er,  where did anyone find instructions for this?  All I get is three buttons at the bottom, none of which is "options", no menu of any kind, and some peculiar numbers at the top.  Quite a puzzle!

                            • Re: "Image Gallery" First Impression

                              SkipperT wrote:

                              Er,  where did anyone find instructions for this?  All I get is three buttons at the bottom, none of which is "options", no menu of any kind, and some peculiar numbers at the top.  Quite a puzzle!


                              Tap and hold the screen in the middle. This will bring up the menu.

                               

                              Part of the instructions are explained in the description on the B&N Store:

                               

                              http://search.barnesandnoble.com/ImageGallery/Tools4Movies/e/2940043862259?itm=2&usri=Tools4movies

                               

                              ImageGallery is an image viewer app for NOOK Color by Barnes & Noble.
                              
                              Features:
                              
                              *Displays images and pictures that are located on your device in a cool, unique and easy way.
                              
                              *Slideshow feature
                              
                              *Image Captions, editable on device
                              
                              *Configuration options for size, distance, mirror effect and much more to get just the look you want. Just tap and hold on the screen to access them.
                              
                              *Easy folder selection, just tap on the screen and the folders that contain images are displayed. ImageGallery also remembers what picture is selected in each folder when you switch:
                              
                              *Stay Awake (keeps screen active so you can use your device as a picture frame), Battery indication (which lets the device go to sleep if it gets too low) and more.
                              
                              How does ImageGallery work?
                              
                              When you start ImageGallery it will scan for (jpg,jpeg,png and bmp) images to display. After the scanning is done, it will display them.
                              
                              By default, ImageGallery will display a roll of all the images it found, but if you just want it to display pictures from one particular folder, just select the folder by tapping on the screen and selecting it. If you tap and hold on a folder and slide your finger back and forth, it will display the folder name.
                              
                              To customize the look of ImageGallery to your own liking, tap and hold on the screen, and the options menu will appear:
                              
                              Settings will bring up all the adjustments you can do to make ImageGallery your own. You can also start the slide-show from here as well.
                              
                              Troubleshooting:
                              
                              Android devices are low-power devices, which means that memory is often an issue. In order to prevent complications with the actual device, ImageGallery resizes the pictures internally to the optimum size for the image to be displayed, but depending on the size of the picture itself, it can make the viewing of the images less smooth or if you are using really large pictures, even choppy, or crash the application. For best results adjust the size of your pictures to something similar to the size of your screen. Of course loading images from a slow/cheap SD card will affect the experience as well.
                              
                              If you do run into complications, tap and hold on the screen, and select "Back" in the options menu.

                               

                               

                               

                              More details can be found on the tools4movies website:

                               

                              http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/10/imagegallery-1-0/