I downloaded Calibre and then I apparently did something wrong. I think I moved my books to Calibre, but I can't recall exactly. I now have 2 copies of most of my books on the Nook Color, and my device is showing almost double the books, while my B/N account on the computer. I cannot archive or delete the Calibre books. I deleted Calibre and that didn't work. I can't open the greyed out Calibre copies. I still see 2 of the same book on the Nook--one is normal and one is greyed out. When I look at my books on the Nook drive, I can't see the names and I don't know which to delete by hand from there.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? Help!
Ok, don't panic. I'm not sure I understand everything, but. What books were you working with-BN bought books or books from other vendors? If they were BN books, did you have them on your PC or just on your NC? What it sounds like may have happened is you opened Calibre and it added the books to your Calibre Library. Maybe when your NC was connected to your computer-maybe. Deleting Calibre from your PC will not change anything on your NC.
I'd assume the greyed out ones on your NC are so because something is amiss with them. I'd connect my NC to my computer and try to locate the books using it. My guess is they would be in the myfiles area of either the NC or an SD card if inserted. I know that in the BN book library, books used to always be listed by the ISBN. I don't know if this is the case here. If they were added by Calibre, it's possible they are by title. There must be some problem that happened when Calibre moved them to your NC, so they are unreadable. You can delete books in your myfile area-they may be under books or documents there. Don't delete anything in the BN books area. I don't think it would let you, but just don't try.
Then, when you are done, make sure to properly eject the NC and SD card from your PC (right click on each "drive" and hit the eject selection) and then safely remove hardware. Then see if that fixed it. Let me know if this helped or if I am in error about what happened.
I had the same problem when I bought my NookColor and loaded my books in from Calibre, all of my BN content was doubled up - and one copy had the grey "non cover". The way I figured it out was that all my BN content synced with my NC when I first registered the NC. That content was also in my Calibre Library, when I sent all the books in my Calibre Library to my NC, it moved the BN content that I'd originally purchased on my regular Nook to the NC, The copy that I moved over from my Calibre Library had the grey cover because it wasn't purchased on the NC and therefore wasn't recognized by it.
So this is what I did...
1. In Calibre with NC connect to iMac via USB, I could see "Main" and "Card A"; I went to each of those in turn and using Calibre's little green triangle icon to remove books, I removed all books from "Main" and "Card A" - DON'T use the remove button when you're at the main Calibre Library icon as it will totally remove them from Calibre, you just want to use Calibre to remove them from your NC and/or SD card if applicable. Don't worry, if you happen to be in the main Calibre Library, it will give you an "are you sure?" type dialog, just go slowly and read all messages as you go along.
2. I properly ejected my NC and unplugged the USB cable, turned on WiFi, connected to BN and downloaded all my BN purchased content to my NC. All my BN content showed up in my library with all the cover art visible.
3. Before reconnecting my NC to the iMac, I went back into Calibre and created a custom column (preferences > interface > add your own column) I made it a yes/no column labeled "bn". Then I went back to my Calibre Library and through the Edit Metadata > custom metadata option, I checked "yes" for each book that I purchased through BN that I had previously added to my Calibre Library (when I had my first Nook).
4. I reconnected NC, when the device showed up in Calibre I was ready to move the rest of my books to the NC. I sorted based on the "bn" column and I moved everything EXCEPT those checked yes for BN content (since they're already in my library having been downloaded directly from BN).
This process worked perfectly, whenever I purchase a book from BN, I will add it to my Calibre Library and be sure to add the custom metadata "yes" for the "bn" column I created, then I just make sure that I never copy BN purchased content back onto my NC from Calibre.
To sum it up:
- BN Content: DL from BN directly to NC, Add to Calibre Library, once in Calibre Library DON'T move it back to NC
- Sideloaded Content: Add to Calibre Library, move to NC