1 2 3 4 Next Last 59 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2012 10:15 AM by Sun_Cat Go to original post
      • 45. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
        gb18

        Sun_Cat wrote:

        ssapp94 wrote:

        ...it still sucks and is not fair. We bought the book and should be able to lend it as many times as we want, just as we would a paper book!! 


        Except that you didn't buy it. That's the point that seems -- for some unknown reason -- to be so elusive. You can't buy an ebook from a major publisher in the same sense that you can buy a paper book. All you can buy is a license to use the file that contains the ebook, and the publisher gets to dictate the terms of the license. Because you don't own anything but the license. You don't even own your copy of the file.

         

        Lots of folks think it sucks. But to say it isn't fair is useless. Everyone has to play by the same rules.


        "Except that you didn't buy it."

         

        This is the point, like it or not.  Personally, I don't fall for it.  Simply will not do it.  If enough people would do the same, things would change.  Obviously, that's not happening.

        • 46. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

          gb18 wrote:

          "Except that you didn't buy it."

           

          This is the point, like it or not.  Personally, I don't fall for it.  Simply will not do it.  If enough people would do the same, things would change.  Obviously, that's not happening.


          None of the friends, acquaintances, coworkers that I know who have some type of ereader care about the prices and they don't care about lending, they buy what they want to read.  Of all of them/me, I'm the only one who even pays attention to the prices and I will generally buy a book if I want to read as long as it's not $14.99.  I draw the line at $15 for any fiction book, eBook, HC, etc.

           

          I really don't think the price or lending is an issue for a large majority of eReader owners.

           

           

          • 47. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
            gb18

            Also


            bklvr896 wrote:

            gb18 wrote:

            "Except that you didn't buy it."

             

            This is the point, like it or not.  Personally, I don't fall for it.  Simply will not do it.  If enough people would do the same, things would change.  Obviously, that's not happening.


            None of the friends, acquaintances, coworkers that I know who have some type of ereader care about the prices and they don't care about lending, they buy what they want to read.  Of all of them/me, I'm the only one who even pays attention to the prices and I will generally buy a book if I want to read as long as it's not $14.99.  I draw the line at $15 for any fiction book, eBook, HC, etc.

             

            I really don't think the price or lending is an issue for a large majority of eReader owners.

             

             


            Also see this thread:

             

            http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Can-t-lend-all-the-books-I-purchase-on-B-amp-N/td-p/1351386/jump-to/first-unread-message

            • 48. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
              ssapp94, maybe it's piling on, but did you really read and consider the issues raised in other posts? Your post is representative of why discussion on the Internet is often ridiculed. I agree that e book owners deserve more. By basically whining it sucks, like any teen, and failing to give a response that acknowledges the differences between e books and paper books and the legitimate concerns of authors, publishers, and retailers, you failed to add anything to the discussion. Perhaps you could set an example for congress and propose a method that balances these competing interests.
              • 49. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
                ReformedReader

                There have been some on this thread that have express the issues very well.  The issue with most of those complaining is not really the polices, but the lack of research before buying the device.  My NST is my second ebook reader.  I bought the first (an ebookwise 1150) because I discovered gutenberg.org and several authors I wanted to read.  I figured that I would buy an ereader because it was much more convenient than reading on a laptop.  I was aware of the policies regarding ebook purchases and to me it did not matter because I planned on using the device to read mostly free ebooks anyway.  When I bought the Nook, I chose it over the Kindle because of the touch feature (which Kindle hadn't introduced yet) and because it would read epubs, the "standard" ebook format.  Again I knew what the terms of "purchase" and lending were going to be before I bought the device. 

                 

                I personally have had an ereader for 5+ years and have only "purchased" three ebooks that I can remember.  I completely agree with the industries handling of digital copies of books.  They would be too easy to pirate not to use some form of DRM and put some restriction on lending.  Purchasing the "right to display" a work instead of purchasing a digital copy makes perfect sense.  My problem is with the prices they change.  If the "right to display" is going to cost me nearly as much as buying a physical copy, I will either not buy or buy the physical copy.  So, I have not purchased many books.  But my point is I understood this going in.  Before you purchase a device, know what you are getting and what the terms of use are.  If you can't live with the terms of use, don't buy the device.

                • 50. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
                  keriflur

                  ReformedReader wrote:

                  There have been some on this thread that have express the issues very well.  The issue with most of those complaining is not really the polices, but the lack of research before buying the device.


                  YES.

                   

                  Sometimes I buy things without properly researching them.  A lot of the time I don't read the fine print, and I almost never read ToS documentation.  And you know what?  If something doesn't turn out the way I hoped, IT'S ON ME.  It's my fault for not educating myself.  It's my fault, because I had the opportunity to know better.  I don't go on about how the universe is unfair and needs to change for me.  I don't complain that the seller, rights holder, maker, etc. is WRONG, because, fair or not, they made the information available to me, and they're following the policy I agreed to.

                   

                  So you know what I do in a situation like that?  I suck it up.

                   

                  I'm all for discussing the benefits and drawbacks of a policy.  I'm all for those who suggest a better way to do things (assuming the person has actually thought about the complexities of the issue).  But I see absolutely no benefit in complaining, period.

                   

                  When someone cries, "It's not fair!" I want to stick them in the corner and give them a time out while the other kids go out for recess.  Slavery is unfair.  Sitting in jail when you're innocent of the crime is unfair.  Cancer is unfair.  But we're talking about ebooks here.

                  • 51. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                    as nook owners, we should see about a forum and community website like a fb account that allows memeber to voice their upcoming choices on books, then people can partner up, find what books they and the other person enjoys and share them. doesnt have to be the same partner everytime but it would be like getting two books for the price of one. i think all books should be shared for free.

                     

                     

                    • 52. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
                      Have you considered registering both your nooks to the same account? Me and my boyfriend do that, he just gives me money or whatever for the books and we can even read the simultaneously without buying two.
                      • 53. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                        In response to this statement:"You wouldn't lend a printed book to a total stranger on the other side of the country" Yes I would and so do thousands of other people.  I belong to a book swaping club called paperbackswap.com and that is exactly what  we do is swap paperback book with other people around the country. There are a lot of these paper back swap sights out there. Just sayin :smileywink: 

                        • 54. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                          tammy1986d wrote:

                          In response to this statement:"You wouldn't lend a printed book to a total stranger on the other side of the country" Yes I would and so do thousands of other people.  I belong to a book swaping club called paperbackswap.com and that is exactly what  we do is swap paperback book with other people around the country. There are a lot of these paper back swap sights out there. Just sayin :smileywink: 


                          But when you lend a paper book, you take the chance of the book not being returned or of it being damaged. When you lend an ebook, the book will automatically come back in the same "condition" it was in before.

                          • 55. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                            I have been a proud Nook owner for geez at least 4 years now...and I have actually never used the "Lend Me" program.  My husband, sister, Mom, friends and I just sideload books. The way I see it my CC can get hacked from anywhere, so if I can't trust those closet to me then what's the point! :-) On a side note, while I do understand and acknowledge that we do not "own" electronic books; I do believe that publishers should NOT be asking consumers to pay close to OR the same amount as a paperback. To me that is just splitting hairs and pissing people off. No you don't own the book, so you cannot do what you want with it, yet we are still charging you the same or maybe a couple bucks less than a hardcopy....But as someone said in an earlier post Money is what drives the world, not good intentions.

                             

                            While I do understand everyones frustrations, bc I have felt some myself. Learn the work-arounds and I promise you will be a happy camper :-)

                            • 56. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                              This is very dicouraging to me.  Is this the policy of Ibooks and Kindle books too?  I have many, many Nook books, but if this is the policy of Barnes and Noble I will quit purchasing from them immediately.  I paid for the ebook and if I want to lend it to my spouse or children I should be able to do so.  If this is the policy of publishers I may as well buy the book then and forget about ebooks.  The only reason I buy them is becaue they don't take up as much room on my bookshelves at home.

                              • 57. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
                                Yes, this is publisher controlled. Almost none of the mainline publishers participate in the lend me feature. It still remains a good way to share independent or books from lesser known authors and publishers.
                                • 58. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising
                                  kamas716

                                  TinaBertucci wrote:

                                  This is very dicouraging to me.  Is this the policy of Ibooks and Kindle books too?  I have many, many Nook books, but if this is the policy of Barnes and Noble I will quit purchasing from them immediately.  I paid for the ebook and if I want to lend it to my spouse or children I should be able to do so.  If this is the policy of publishers I may as well buy the book then and forget about ebooks.  The only reason I buy them is becaue they don't take up as much room on my bookshelves at home.


                                  LendMe is controlled by the publishers, not the vendors.  If you "purchased" from B&N, then you can legally lend your eBooks to as many people as you are willing to give (or enter yourself) the account name and credit card number to unlock the DRM of the book.  If you are wanting to lend eBooks, B&N is, at least right now, probably your best option.

                                   

                                  • 59. Re: LEND ME on NOOK - False Advertising

                                    Just to underline what Kamas said above: of all the major ebook vendors, Barnes & Noble makes it easiest for you to share ebooks with your family. You can copy any Nook book to other Nook devices and unlock the book by entering your credit card number. The card number is not visible to the user.

                                    1 2 3 4 Next Last