6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 3:40 PM by BruceMcF

    This Won't Be Confusing At All

    keriflur

      E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

       

      I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.

        • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
          LarryOnLI

          keriflur wrote:

          E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

           

          I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.


          While I see your point. The fact is that LCD people are already posting their questions on E-Ink discussions, and everyone (NST, NSTG, Tablet, Color, HD, and HD+) post in the first edition forum.

           

          At least with them all in the same forum, there is a better chance that someone who can actually help will see the message.

           

            • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
              keriflur

              LarryOnLI wrote:

              keriflur wrote:

              E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

               

              I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.


              While I see your point. The fact is that LCD people are already posting their questions on E-Ink discussions, and everyone (NST, NSTG, Tablet, Color, HD, and HD+) post in the first edition forum.

               

              At least with them all in the same forum, there is a better chance that someone who can actually help will see the message.

               


              Didn't you see?  The first edition forum is still there, so that practice of dredging up some three-year-old thread to ask a completely unrelated question about a completely different device isn't going to change at all.  :smileyhappy:

                • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
                  Mercury_Glitch

                  It's still there for now, though so are the NC general and support forums.  Maybe those will be merged later on so that we only have the Nook Talk forum for general discussion and then the various specific device forums for support.

                   

                  It's a step in the right direction of a simpler, and easier to navigate forum.  I recall Dean made a post outlining suggested changes, many people chimed in, we may be seeing the changes proposed in that thread. 

              • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
                FulltimeRVer

                I assume that I won't be alone in abandoning this forum.  I am interested only in NST(G)-related posts and it isn't worth the trouble to dredge through all the posts in this new combined forum to look for topics that might interest me.

                 

                At least the E-ink Support forum is still there.

                • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
                  Mercury_Glitch

                  keriflur wrote:

                  E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

                   

                  I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.


                  There are, from what I can see, mostly two types of replies to the 6+ month old posts.

                   

                  People asking questions that are related or not and either about the same device or a different one.

                   

                  People saying 'thanks this solution worked for me too!'

                   

                  Yes there are others (lets avoid the two types of people fun we had in the membership thread) but those are a majority of the posts. 

                   

                  I don't see asking 'are you sure' as fixing either.  The people who want to thank the poster who provided the solution will post anyway which will bump the thread up.  And the people asking questions will likely just blindly click 'yes' because it's not like they were looking at much about the thread. 

                    • Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All
                      BruceMcF

                      Mercury_Glitch wrote:

                      I don't see asking 'are you sure' as fixing either.  The people who want to thank the poster who provided the solution will post anyway which will bump the thread up.  And the people asking questions will likely just blindly click 'yes' because it's not like they were looking at much about the thread. 


                      That seems to be drawing up a false dichotomy between "fixed completely" and "have no effect at all". If some people who clicked on reply without realizing that its a two to three year old discussion realize that they are dredging up a dead thread, that's a step in the right direction.

                       

                      Regarding the original post, its basically making the point that merging all the Nook Talk is not perfect. As its not. Neither was the alternative perfect. No matter what you do, people will be confused. Set something up one way, someone will assume its set up a different way because that's what they are used to somewhere else. Set it up the opposite way, now somebody else will assume its set up a different way because that's what they are used to somewhere else. Explain what goes where in a marvel of concise descriptors pellucid in their clarity, and exactly the people who need to read them won't.

                       

                      So, yes, this WILL BE confusing. As was the way it was set up before.