Lots of people are getting an error where Nook Colors (new ones) are arriving with software version 1.3.0 instead of 1.4.3.
This leads to following sorts of errors when installing Apps:
1) App says 'This App is not available for your device'. Even though it is an app available for Nook Color.
2) Apps run into problems when you start them after installing.
The solution is to update to 1.4.3 manually.
The steps are listed here. Please go to link above for latest link to download file.
To get the update manually, you can download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Color. Simply follow the steps below.
Manual Download Instructions:
1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location.
Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
2. Press the NOOK Button and then tap Settings on the Quick Nav Bar. Then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK®'s battery charge is at 20% or more.
3. Connect your NOOK Color to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOK screen.
4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
6. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
7. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the unlock screen.
9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it for additional information; the software has been successfully updated.
Your NOOK Color must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will automatically restart. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK, and check to see that your software version number matches the number at the top of this page.
Congratulations, your NOOK Color has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.