21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 1:14 PM by Mysticalwaters1

    $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

    Fuddster

      As someone who bought a Simple Touch for $139 on 10/22 then returned it for a refund on 11/4 after I heard about the price reduction, I just thought I'd let everyone know that when I re-purchased the Simple Touch today for $99, it did NOT come with the power adapter that was included in the $139 package.

       

      In fact, if you don't want to be tied to the USB port on your PC, you will have to purchase the adapter for an addition $12.34. Of course, I wasn't told this until I went to return the new unit because of the missing power adapter. That's when I noticed the small sticker added to the box that read "Contents: NOOK Reader, USB Cable" and the other sticker covering the prong holes where the power adapter used to be packed.

       

      This is actually a trimmed down version of the rant I started to write, but I'm starting to calm down. It still smells like a cheap move by Barnes and Noble to me, but I'm not sure how many people will even notice it.

        • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

          Nobody's gonna care, methinks; they had to hit that price point somehow. The Kindle doesn't come with a power adapter either, and hasn't for a while.

          Refurb nooks are still available for $79+tax which include the power adapter. I got one and am extremely pleased; it really isn't distinguishable from a new one except by the 'Certified Pre Owned' sticker on the box.

          http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cpo-nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102471846

           

          e

            • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
              Haleakala_LKB

              I went into my local BN store today to return the N2E I bought online last week. It was delivered Saturday. I, obviously, paid $139 for it. They credited my credit card for the $139 plus tax, then turned around and let me pay for it with a couple of gift cards I had with me. Walked out with the same NOOK, so yes, it has the power adapter. 

               

              Aside from that though, they were just hanging the new sign with the new price when I went in. They weren't changing out boxes of "old" N2E with new ones, sans chargers...

               

              And as several others have said, who with any gadgets doesn't have a bunch of these adapters laying around already??

               

              LisaB

            • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
              Ya_Ya

              Fuddster wrote:

              I just thought I'd let everyone know that when I re-purchased the Simple Touch today for $99, it did NOT come with the power adapter that was included in the $139 package.

               

              [SNIP]

               

              This is actually a trimmed down version of the rant I started to write, but I'm starting to calm down. It still smells like a cheap move by Barnes and Noble to me, but I'm not sure how many people will even notice it.


              I agree that this is a really, really, really cheap move on B&N's part.  It's ridiculous.

               

              It's also why I hate when people say "But Kindle did it."  Because if we use that as a reason for B&N to improve stuff, we can't be annoyed when they downgrade to Amazon's standards, either.

               

              (The new Kindle and Kindle Touch are sold without - look at Amazon for specs.)

                • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                  gstone

                  And to think you could have paid $139 for one that included a power adapter. Or you could pay $99 for a nook plus $9.95 for a power adapter. :smileyvery-happy:

                   

                  I have a number of adapters lying around the house that work with the N2E. I use whichever one is most convient at the time. I don't even know where the one that came with my N2E is. It's probably in a drawer somewhere or got tossed with the box.

                   

                  If you bought the nook at a store the sales people should have advised you that you may want a wall adapter but I suspect even they were not aware one was not included.

                   

                  If you purchased through this website that is mentioned on the page.

                  • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                    BeachCatFan

                    Ya_Ya wrote:

                    Fuddster wrote:

                    I just thought I'd let everyone know that when I re-purchased the Simple Touch today for $99, it did NOT come with the power adapter that was included in the $139 package.

                     

                    [SNIP]

                     

                    This is actually a trimmed down version of the rant I started to write, but I'm starting to calm down. It still smells like a cheap move by Barnes and Noble to me, but I'm not sure how many people will even notice it.


                    I agree that this is a really, really, really cheap move on B&N's part.  It's ridiculous.

                     

                    It's also why I hate when people say "But Kindle did it."  Because if we use that as a reason for B&N to improve stuff, we can't be annoyed when they downgrade to Amazon's standards, either.

                     

                    (The new Kindle and Kindle Touch are sold without - look at Amazon for specs.)


                    I agree. I think this is absurd!!

                    • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                      KingAl

                      Ya_Ya wrote:

                      t.

                      I agree that this is a really, really, really cheap move on B&N's part.  It's ridiculous.

                       



                      I don't have a problem with it, but B&N (and Amazon as well) should make it more clear on the web page (and on the box) that it only comes with the microUSB connector.

                        • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                          keriflur

                          It seems like an upsell opportunity to me.  I hope B&N has made sure their employees know to offer the power adapter as an accessory EVERY time they sell a nook.

                           

                          B&N should also make it more clear on the website.  Maybe a package deal would be in order?

                           

                          I have no problem with them not including an adapter in the box.  I do have a problem with them not making it completely clear to every buyer that there is not an adapter in the box.  Given that they are selling the SAME EXACT DEVICE that the sold yesterday with the adapter, that means they need to be even more clear on the change.

                      • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                        Undo

                        Someday soon there will be 25 million power adapters lying in drawers, never used. I applaud this move. Perhaps now, there won't be 50 million. The whole idea behind standardization of charging via micro-USB is that it will save resources, and power adapters!

                          • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                            AlanNJ

                            Ok.  So they dropped the price by $40 and don't include the $9.95 adapter any more.  Just buy an adapter and they dropped the price by $30.  Still a great deal!  Sheesh!

                            When I had to exchange my 1st Gen Nook they told me not to even pack the adapter.  My replacement came with one.  Then I bought a N2E.  I have 3 adapters now.  They're everywhere!

                          • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                            AlanNJ

                            Fuddster wrote:

                            As someone who bought a Simple Touch for $139 on 10/22 then returned it for a refund on 11/4 after I heard about the price reduction, I just thought I'd let everyone know that when I re-purchased the Simple Touch today for $99, it did NOT come with the power adapter that was included in the $139 package.

                             

                            In fact, if you don't want to be tied to the USB port on your PC, you will have to purchase the adapter for an addition $12.34. Of course, I wasn't told this until I went to return the new unit because of the missing power adapter. That's when I noticed the small sticker added to the box that read "Contents: NOOK Reader, USB Cable" and the other sticker covering the prong holes where the power adapter used to be packed.

                             

                            This is actually a trimmed down version of the rant I started to write, but I'm starting to calm down. It still smells like a cheap move by Barnes and Noble to me, but I'm not sure how many people will even notice it.


                            Now WHERE did I put my world's smallest violin????

                            • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                              rafalweb

                              That's the beauty of holding onto your old power adapters.....if the N2 is a micro-USb device, then I have my olf N1 adapter, plus both adapters for my Palm Pre's.  3 adapters.   Hee hee.

                              • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                                Haleakala_LKB

                                Stated pretty clearly on the web site. Perhaps store employees need to be briefed, but, as I said, I can't imagine they are pulling all of the existing boxed units off the shelves!

                                 

                                http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735

                                 

                                Go about 1/2 way down to specs: 

                                - Charge via USB to a computer (Charging time: approximately 3 1/2 hours from computer) or from a wall outlet using a power adapter (sold separately)

                                 

                                LisaB

                                  • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                                    keriflur

                                    Haleakala_LKB wrote:

                                    Stated pretty clearly on the web site. Perhaps store employees need to be briefed, but, as I said, I can't imagine they are pulling all of the existing boxed units off the shelves!

                                     

                                    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735

                                     

                                    Go about 1/2 way down to specs: 

                                    - Charge via USB to a computer (Charging time: approximately 3 1/2 hours from computer) or from a wall outlet using a power adapter (sold separately)

                                     

                                    LisaB


                                    The problem, IMO, is that if you checked the specs on Friday and go to order one today, you're probably not going to check again.  There's no reason, if you're not on these forums, to think you'd need to check the specs again.  It appears to someone not in the know that they're selling the exact same device, because, well, they are.

                                  • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

                                    Fuddster

                                     

                                    While I do not disagree, I'm finding it difficult to get worked up.    Why?  I just purchased a clothes dryer and guess what?  " Power cord sold separately."   Yep. $400 for a major appliance that WILL NOT WORK unless I spend an additional $35! 

                                     

                                     Next to that a $10 adapter seems cheap. :smileysad:

                                    • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

                                      Hey guys, not sure what you all are talking about. I just went to Best Buy earlier today to buy a nook and it came with USB cord and the WALL CHARGER. Not lying, I promise you. Maybe I have some weird old model, IDK. I did have to inform them the new price $99.

                                      • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                                        bga_reviews

                                        I think it's going to become the norm for electronic devices to come without a power adapter.  In the EU, they've standardize all the cell phones to use microUSB connectors for charging so that they won't have to include a new power adapter with each phone.  Sure, everyone might have to get a few to start out, but in the long run, everyone will just reuse their existing power adapters for everything.

                                          • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                                            scotta316

                                            One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, (though I might have missed it) is that B&N insists that you must use the black wall charger, and even the same cable, that came with your NST to charge it. It's in the FAQ. Because of that alone, I think they should be making it abundantly clear that the new packages don't include that wall adapter.

                                              • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter
                                                AlanNJ

                                                scotta316 wrote:

                                                One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, (though I might have missed it) is that B&N insists that you must use the black wall charger, and even the same cable, that came with your NST to charge it. It's in the FAQ. Because of that alone, I think they should be making it abundantly clear that the new packages don't include that wall adapter.


                                                The black charger is EXACTLY the same as the original N1 charger.  Cables are cables and are standard.

                                            • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

                                              First, let me state that I work for B&N. I was at work today when a customer confronted me about the Simple Touch coming with an adapter. I was surprised at the question and quickly answered yes. Then doing some digging we at the store found out about this. Today. TODAY. I am very frustrated at how B&N treats its own employees. A memo? An email? ANYTHING.

                                               

                                              We were never told about this change. I've been selling the Simple Touch telling people everything's in the box. It just makes us look bad as employees. We never even got a chance to try out the new Tablet before customers could purchase it.

                                               

                                              So please don't think the employees know all. Sometimes we are never informed. :smileysad:

                                                • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

                                                  I didn't have time to read through this entire thread but wanted to put out there I had the opposite problem buying a refurbished nook. The site said it didn't come with an adapter and had a check box to add one as does not come with one so I bought one for $10. Then when I get my refurbished nook it had the usb cord AND an adapter. I was really ticked off. So I thought ok just return it you have 14 days the papers state but  HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so mad as the nearest B&n is an hour away I'm NOT traveling that far just for this, so i complained to customer servicef at 1800thebook and I don't think the rep understood where I was comming from at all! He just assumed I was complaining it didn't get the adapter. YES I was complaining I GOT ONE! He was even going to replace the adapter and cord free of charge. He totally didn't get it. Finally after circling numerous times to explain this and said sorry for any confusion as if it was ME (THEY'RE CONFUSED,) he claimed that not all refurbished nooks have all the wires and adapters so that's why the website states to add one and sorry for the confusion. IT NEEDS TO STATE THAT THEN! I explained this numerous times and asked to speak to a higher up and he said this was it. I tried to look up corporate but the b&ninc site says to complain to 1800thebook which was completely pointless for myself. He says I have to pay the shipping. It came with a lable as if b&n would since the guy is clueless i'll ask the post office and bring the lable. What a bunch of crap. I really enjoy this device it's a xmas present for my brother's girlfriend just ashame customer service stinks.

                                                    • Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

                                                      to sm8266 my best friend worked for b&n and complained about the same thing not being notified or properly instructed on their products. The buy a product get a $50 gift card thing was quite fustrating too and she was reamed for that and the nook color comming out when people were buying the first nooks. I understand it's like apple and they wanted to keep it secret but people would ask is their another comming out she told them no figuring they would have been notified. Maybe wrong on her end but then the company should have told them specifically not to assure reassure anything. Just very frustrating.