16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 10:15 AM by AikiPen

    More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl

    Doug_Pardee

      The Scotsman is reporting today that J K Rowling's agent has gotten Rowling to "actively consider" permitting the Harry Potter books to be distributed as e-books. According to The Scotsman, this was confirmed by an unnamed spokeswoman for Rowling.

       

      So the question is: does "actively considering" mean anything, or is it like when I was a kid and my parents would say, "I'll think about it," when they meant "No" but didn't want to hear the whining? According to the article in The Scotsman, e-book rights are expected to bring about £100 million. Rowling's agent probably stands to get about £15 million of that, and both this announcement and last year's announcement that "e-books could happen" have come from the agent, not from Rowling herself.

       

      I'm not personally convinced that this is a sign of impending e-books (can e-books impend?), but time will tell.

       

        • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
          RHWright

          Doug, you're right. "Actively consider" could mean almost anything.

           

          I'm hoping it means that opposed to the knee-jerk opposition she's exhibited so far, she's going to give those in her business sphere (agents, publishers, etc) a chance to make the case for doing it. Along with the money they'd throw at her (not like she needs it) a chance to make the business case for it as a whole.

           

          Things like:

           

          1) Fan interest. I already own all 7 in hardcover, but I'm still likely to buy them all again.

          2) Combating piracy.

          3) Supporting reading & literacy in all its forms, not just DTB.

          4) The fetishising of the DTB experience is not consistent with granting rights for such media as audio books, movies, video games, and amusement parks.

          5) "If it's good enough for Tolkien, it should be good enough for you!"

          • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl

            I actually haven't read all of the HP books, even though my family owns them. If they were made available in eBook format for the right price, I'd most likely buy them.

              • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                TXAnnie

                I have some of Harry Potter books and read others from my daughters books.  Actually saw a Harry Potter movie as it came out in London.  This summer my daughter and I are talking about visiting the Universal studios Hogwarts theme park (I know summer is a horrible time, but the only time I have off) and seeing the last movie there.

                 

                I definitely would buy the books on my nook and know my daughters would too.  I so hope they come out in ebooks

                • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl

                   


                  Christine_Kersey wrote:

                  I actually haven't read all of the HP books, even though my family owns them. If they were made available in eBook format for the right price, I'd most likely buy them.


                  I bet they are available for the right price in ebook if you looked..
                  I, for one, would not buy her ebooks.  I have purchased her DTBs 3 times over, (Paperback, Hardcover, british edition) and she's not getting anothe rdime from me.  she doesn't think an ereader is convient enough then fine, my money isn't convient for her anymore, either.

                   

                    • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                      While awaiting the official Harry Potter books, you owe it to yourselves to read this alternate-universe Harry Potter pastiche, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky.
                      • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                        FrogAlum

                         


                        Opie79 wrote:

                         


                        Christine_Kersey wrote:

                        I actually haven't read all of the HP books, even though my family owns them. If they were made available in eBook format for the right price, I'd most likely buy them.


                        I bet they are available for the right price in ebook if you looked..
                        I, for one, would not buy her ebooks.  I have purchased her DTBs 3 times over, (Paperback, Hardcover, british edition) and she's not getting anothe rdime from me.  she doesn't think an ereader is convient enough then fine, my money isn't convient for her anymore, either.

                         


                        You would bet correctly...  As time goes by, what she would earn will significantly diminish.  Most of the people I know with various eReaders already have all the books on their devices.

                         

                          • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                            shadowcat80

                            FrogAlum wrote:

                             


                            Opie79 wrote:

                             


                            Christine_Kersey wrote:

                            I actually haven't read all of the HP books, even though my family owns them. If they were made available in eBook format for the right price, I'd most likely buy them.


                            I bet they are available for the right price in ebook if you looked..
                            I, for one, would not buy her ebooks.  I have purchased her DTBs 3 times over, (Paperback, Hardcover, british edition) and she's not getting anothe rdime from me.  she doesn't think an ereader is convient enough then fine, my money isn't convient for her anymore, either.

                             


                            You would bet correctly...  As time goes by, what she would earn will significantly diminish.  Most of the people I know with various eReaders already have all the books on their devices.

                             


                            Frogalum, have a question is there any difference from three editions, cause I don't see the point in having paperback, hardback, and i didn't know anyone could buy british edition unless they're in europe.

                              • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                                ABthree

                                 


                                shadowcat80 wrote:
                                 

                                Frogalum, have a question is there any difference from three editions, cause I don't see the point in having paperback, hardback, and i didn't know anyone could buy british edition unless they're in europe.


                                In spite of not being Frog, I'll answer the questions. :smileywink:

                                 

                                 

                                You can buy the British versions from amazon.co.uk -- I have them all.  There's a limit on the number of copies you can buy -- to prevent resale, probably -- but no problem with individual copies.

                                 

                                The American versions were edited to replace Anglicisms that the editors (rightly or wrongly) thought Americans would not understand with American or International English equivalents.  "Sherbet lemons" became "lemon drops" -- that sort of thing.

                                 

                                The most obvious change was actually a dumbing down:  the title of the first book was changed from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, presumably because the 1000+ year old concept of the Philosopher's Stone would be unfamiliar to (ignorant?  uneducated?) Americans.

                                 

                                Between hardcovers and paperbacks, the only differences are probably corrections of errata in later editions.

                                 

                                 

                        • Re: More Harry Potter e-book rumors ready to swirl
                          AikiPen

                          I have purchased the books 3 times, once in paperback, once in hardback (have to purchase the first again as the book is falling apart) and once in Italian. I would purchase them again in ebook format as well, and in Spanish, French, Italian and Latin ebooks if I could get them that way too.

                           

                          I still love my Nook after a year, (I know it wouldn't work at Hogwarts) plus books gathering dust on my virtual shelf don't give me allergies. Still the Nook seems like magic to me, kind of like the Marauders Map.

                           

                          Mischief managed.