You are not alone. I have the same problem. If they expect me to have to jump through all these hoops and then it still won't work......well, guess again B&N. Here's some advice.....don't release a product until the MAJOR bugs are worked out. This is a MAJOR bug. It all works as advertised on my iPod Touch, but not the PC.
Usually this is due to a differenct in your info as entered in the web site as compared to the Desktop Reader.
Some report going to the web site and re-entering all of the login info over again helps, and make sure you have a default credit card selected.
Then double check the settings in the e-reader.
But also don't discount the possibility of some firewall / anti virus software disallowing the EReader to access the internet.
I did try making an exception for the eReader, so it was allowed through my firewall, but that still did not work. These are a lot of hoops to jump through.
Consequently, I decided to look elsewhere for the eBook and bought it at another site and downloaded the Microsoft Reader, which worked just fine. I was able to find, download, and read my book within about 15 minutes.
Luckily, the eBook I bought from Barnes and Noble was small and about three dollars, but from what I understand I will not be seeing that money back. I will consider this a lesson learned and the three dollars my charitable contribution to Barnes and Noble--in the hope that any sort of financial support will help them to figure out the technical difficulties with their eReader.
But between ya'll and myself, I will not be buying another eBook from Barnes and Noble. Before this, I preferred the tactile experience of holding a real book in my hands as I read curled up on the couch. Now, it also seems more economical in the long run to just stick with the real thing.
Thanks for all of your help.